Programs not running

A few months ago my programs stopped running. It turns out my PLM died.

So I bought a new one and restored my devices and modem, but some would not restore. My link table is very small and when I do a compare I get differences. So I assume I did not follow the correct steps to change the PLM. :oops:

I tried a factory reset and restore on the PLM last night after unplugging the ISY first, but this did not help.

So how do I fix this now? I don't have a ton of programs.

I pretty much did the long process last night and  I did the last two steps again tonight. 

I wrote a test program with the Scene I'm trying to use and it says it ran, but nothing happened. I'll have to look at that Scene to see why it won't run. I did have to re-link some of the buttons on the SwitchLinc to the slave switches. Not sure if this is related to my modem issues.

I would troubleshoot this by confirming that the ISY sees all the button presses and that ISY status matches actual device status.  Alternatively open the even viewer and make sure the ISY is seeing the commands from the suspect devices.  This would be my first step, to eliminate the possibility of any comms issues.  If you do a compare and find differences still, then restore.  If you cannot restore, then you may be stuck with removing the device and re-adding, then recreating any scenes and programs.

My experience is that if a program does not fire, it is because the ISY did not see the triggering event.  Your quest is to find out why the ISY is not seeing these events.

I pretty much did the long process last night and  I did the last two steps again tonight. 

I wrote a test program with the Scene I'm trying to use and it says it ran, but nothing happened. I'll have to look at that Scene to see why it won't run. I did have to re-link some of the buttons on the SwitchLinc to the slave switches. Not sure if this is related to my modem issues.

Run a "restore device" on the device(s) in your scene

Did that fix it?

OK, so I can control the devices from app on my phone, which talks to the ISY, but I knew this before.

There is definitely something wrong with links on the one SwitchLinc. I was playing with the devices a bit more and now all of the dummy devices I created eg. 'RL Bill Front Door'. These link the master and slave so that they work in both directions. But it's been so long I can't remember how I created these. 

Am I best to kill this one SwitchLinc or can I recover this mess.

How are those dummy devices created BTW? Just adding a new Insteon device?

An ISY does not allow creating a dummy device, so we're having a terminology problem. Can you give more information about what you mean by a "dummy device" or post an image?

An ISY does not allow creating a dummy device, so we're having a terminology problem. Can you give more information about what you mean by a "dummy device" or post an image?

Yeah, so it's called RL Bill Front Door

1C 40 7F - 2342-222 RemoteLink 2 Keypad 8 Scene v.36 (I remember what the RL stands for now :-) )

Membership:

is Controller for:

Scene: Front Lights

Device: Garage Outside

Device: KPL1 Front Door

Device: Side Door

is Responder to:

Scene: Front Lights

Device: Garage Outside

Device: KPL1 Front Door

Device: Side Door

ATM pretty much everything on that RemoteLinc that involves linking. I just restored my ISY to a backup from 3.3 and it's now restoring devices. It's taking MUCH longer than before, but it's still complaining about those RL buttons so far.

Battery power devices need to be in linking mode and restored one-at-at time after a restore. The original RemoteLinc (2440) may need a different procedure. Do you have an ISY Pro?

Battery power devices need to be in linking mode and restored one-at-at time after a restore. The original RemoteLinc (2440) may need a different procedure. Do you have an ISY Pro?

No battery devices and just an isy994. But I think the RL need to be in linking mode and just one at a time by the looks of it.

The RemoteLinc is a battery powered device. When all else completes, place the RemoteLinc in linking mode by pressing on the DIM and BRIGHT buttons concurrently until the PL beeps and starts blinking. If you get an error message, try lining by placing the RL distant from the PLM (20-40 feet) but within range of a dual-band device.

No battery devices and just an isy994. But I think the RL need to be in linking mode and just one at a time by the looks of it.

Only one battery operated device at a time can be in the linking mode, once it's in the linking mode do a restore device on it.

OK, everyone is happy again. I lost the last motion sensor I added and it's program, but hardly an issue.

The exclamations beside all of the RL devices just went away by themselves, not sure why really. I was playing with restoring them individually, but this seemed to have no effect. Then they all just turned to pale green gift tags or whatever shape it is. The odd thing is that these are now part of the Scene that contains the same devices. I swear these were not there when it stopped working.

Yes I made a new backup. :-)

The RemoteLinc is a battery powered device. When all else completes, place the RemoteLinc in linking mode by pressing on the DIM and BRIGHT buttons concurrently until the PL beeps and starts blinking. If you get an error message, try lining by placing the RL distant from the PLM (20-40 feet) but within range of a dual-band device.

Oh Yeah, I forgot I had those things. I was thinking SwitchLinc. I just have to find them now. LOL.

Thanks for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had to replace my PLM today also, and in line with others, about 2.5yrs after I bought it (Sep 2014).   

Having a mix of Z-Wave and Insteon, both battery and direct power, have to say, this procedure to put ALL my insteon devices in linking mode is for the birds;  given that the z-wave devices weren't affected, and I have less than 230 devices, will probably gradually replace the insteon devices to z-wave.

Now, I'm not sure I really needed to put my powered devices in link mode, but they were taking awhile to get updated, seemed to expedite the process.

Line powered Insteon devices do not need to be placed in linking mode when replacing the PLM, only battery powered devices which should be re-linked one at a time,

Just had to replace my PLM today also, and in line with others, about 2.5yrs after I bought it (Sep 2014).   

Having a mix of Z-Wave and Insteon, both battery and direct power, have to say, this procedure to put ALL my insteon devices in linking mode is for the birds;  given that the z-wave devices weren't affected, and I have less than 230 devices, will probably gradually replace the insteon devices to z-wave.

Now, I'm not sure I really needed to put my powered devices in link mode, but they were taking awhile to get updated, seemed to expedite the process.

Devices with the older firmware / hardware are slower than the current devices. 

Devices with the older firmware / hardware are slower than the current devices. 

Line powered Insteon devices do not need to be placed in linking mode when replacing the PLM, only battery powered devices which should be re-linked one at a time,

I appreciate the confirmation; was just a little impatient apparently; although a couple of line powered devices that I had NOT touched failed to get updated, but a subsequent 'write updates to device' did the trick.

Now to go set all the MotionSensors,  RemoteLincs and TriggerLincs, bummer.

Now to go set all the MotionSensors,  RemoteLincs and TriggerLincs, bummer.

I wrote a simple (disabled) program for each battery powered sensor for just this situation. You only need to have the sensor send an On. Enable the program and walk by a MS or open a door or window. No need to press the set button. Here's a sample program:

IN Front Hall Sensor - [Not Enabled]

If

Control 'IN / Devices / IN Front Hall-Sensor' is switched On

Then

Set 'IN / Devices / IN Front Hall-Sensor' Write Device Updates

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

If you have the original RemoteLincs (2440), then the procedure may require a different technique.

Archived