IO Link Operating Environment

MWoods329

This is probably slightly off topic, but....

I noticed in the owners manual for the IO Link that it has to be used indoors with temps between 32 and 104.

So, what does everyone do for use as a garage door controller?

Do you still plug it in at the same outlet you have the door motor plugged into? Do you add enough line to make it into your house? Or does everyone have a heated garage?

I'm in part of the Midwest that's getting dumped with snow right now. We have an attached garage, but it's still only 15 degrees and dropping in the garage.

Part two of this question....

I was having poor comms issues with the device when I first plugged it in. Found that I had one of the old Access Points laying around and got much better response once I plugged that in on top of the IO Link. Any known issues with using it that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 2 iolincs in my detached, unheated Michigan (~-20 + 100) garage for over 5 years. I don't have any problems with them

Its in the same circuit with the GDO. Its about 15 wire feet away from the GDO and connected to the opener switch in the garage.

Because my iolincs are powerline only, I've had an Insteon access point (like the current range extender) at a location that has line of site with switchlincs in the house. That's exactly what they are for.

Paul

This is probably slightly off topic, but....

I noticed in the owners manual for the IO Link that it has to be used indoors with temps between 32 and 104.

So, what does everyone do for use as a garage door controller?

Do you still plug it in at the same outlet you have the door motor plugged into? Do you add enough line to make it into your house? Or does everyone have a heated garage?

I'm in part of the Midwest that's getting dumped with snow right now. We have an attached garage, but it's still only 15 degrees and dropping in the garage.

Part two of this question....

I was having poor comms issues with the device when I first plugged it in. Found that I had one of the old Access Points laying around and got much better response once I plugged that in on top of the IO Link. Any known issues with using it that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically devices should never be double stacked even though customers do - out of need. Given the primary reason is extra weight and increased heat which is normally the primary killer of electronics. Besides poor selection of parts, design, and electrical surges / spikes.

The added heat of the two devices strapped together may be a good thing given the cold.

I've been long term arctic cold weather testing on Insteon and other brands of electronics for many years. All of them have fared quite well keeping in mind none of these devices are rated to endure sub zero temperatures per the makers specs. The key thing I found was allowing the hardware within the environment to slowly acclimate and stabilize.

Failure to do so will allow condensation to build up and thus will result in a electrical short. The phrase *Ice tracking* is an extremely common term for those of us living in the GWN. Ice tracking is essentially frozen condensate traces that bridge the gap of two components to allow voltage to pass an area not expected to do so.

Very few people have ever realized or identified this failure mode because few if ever open up a device to conduct a post mortem to validate as such. Also, keep in mind 9 X 10 the person has no clue when they bring an object from freezing cold weather to a warm climate the ice track is now gone.

In rare occurrences the arc tracing remains show casing the bridging of two areas not expected to conduct electricity.   

Archived