For Sale: (2) Venstar T5900 + Skyport Wifi Cards

paulbates

I have (2) Venstar T5900 wifi thermostats for sale. 

What is different between the T5900 and T7900?:

• T7900 has a faster processor. It is more responsive to the touch interface
  • T7900 has a higher definition screen
  • T7900 supports 2,4ghz wireless N where the T5900 is G only.
  • T7900 has wifi built in the unit, these T5900s have a skyport module mounted on the side (see attached pic).
  • The T7900s are $170 each on Amazon.

Other things to know:

• Nodelink can not tell a T5900 from a T7900, they are functionally the same.
  • They require ISY V5 firmware and nodeservers. This functionality is considered Alpha/Beta.
  • They work direclty with the Amazon Echo with the Venstar Smart Home Skill.
  • They work with io_guys Nodelink nodeserver...
  • Nodelink requires a light windows or linux server to run on as an interface between ISY and thermostats. I use a raspberry pi.  
  • I've used ISY V5 and Nodelink for Venstar since Nov 2015. 
  • They will not appear in mobilinc, Agave, etc as a thermostat.
  • I used them to control 2 traditional 2 stage gas HVAC units

They both work perfectly and have been factory reset and are ready to go...with the Skyport wifi card installedI'm letting them both go as a pair, together, for $85 + shipping. I want to move them as they will only sit in the parts box unused.

If you're comfortable running V5 and nodeservers, this could be for you. Attached is screen shot showing all of the things this thermostat can give you on the ISY via Nodelink. Nodelink adds its own additional functionality including winter humidity adjustments to prevent window frosting and syncing modes across multiple thermostats. There are also android, ios and blackberry mobile apps, as well as a cloud web based console for remote management.

post-5496-0-58265200-1482979588_thumb.png

post-5496-0-39127500-1482980156_thumb.png

post-5496-0-91526300-1482980744_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, i am  doing some research and getting a tiny bit lost.  I read it does not show up in mobilelinc . I am using that now but may switch to isy portal. I just bought the echo dot trying to

make it easy for the wife.   Does these work with the echo.    She almost never adjust themostat when she goes out. I have two zone Heat basboard ,and the a/c is diferent system same

Thermostat for 2nd fl  different thermos for 1st fl . What info can I expect if I don't have a computer on 24/7. In the near  future I will buy a Raspberry Pi 3. Is setting this up and keeping it

updated very tedious ?. Is this what you would recommend for me for integration .

Hi -

Hi Paul, i am  doing some research and getting a tiny bit lost.  I read it does not show up in mobilelinc . I am using that now but may switch to isy portal. I just bought the echo dot trying to

make it easy for the wife.   Does these work with the echo.    She almost never adjust themostat when she goes out. 

Yes on the Echo, good catch. Venstar has its own echo Smart Home Skill that you can add directly there and say "Alexa turn Family Room Heat Up / Down", etc. The Venstar skill implements all of the current thermostat features in the Echo api. 

Though my primary reason for the venstars was control, comfort (including humidity), and monitoring..... but I also needed them to be easy for my wife.

The Dot and the Venstar Skyport mobile app work well for her. She had android and now has an ipad/iphone.. the app is identical on both platforms. You can create a location, and put any number of thermostats in the location.. in my case both thermostats appear in the mobile app and have the common names we've used for them... easy to change temp or turn on the fan. Its worked out well for her.

I have two zone Heat basboard ,and the a/c is diferent system same Thermostat for 2nd fl  different thermos for 1st fl .

I also have 2 thermostats as well, one on the first floor and one on the second controlling 2 independent hvac systems. I've not worked with baseboard systems, only standard gas. If baseboard uses a standard thermostat, I would guess it would be fine... to be sure you can send an email to venstar technical support and ask specifically... i would suggest that to be 100% sure.

I don't think the AC is a problem, you have a thermostat there today, and the terminal for the AC call will go to where it goes today.

What info can I expect if I don't have a computer on 24/7. In the near  future I will buy a Raspberry Pi 3. Is setting this up and keeping it updated very tedious ?. Is this what you would recommend for me for integration .

If you don't use Nodelink (link above) on a 24/7 system, no information will be reported to to the ISY.. you'll only be able to send commands to the thermostats, if you have the network module.

I get where you are coming from on having to have a server. I migrated from HomeSeer to the ISY got get out of the server maintenance business. While setting up the pi was a little bit of work, it was a one time thing. There are step by step directions here.  However, Nodelink has a web page to configure it, so I don't have to do anything with the pi now that its set up. I pretty much ignore my Rpi, it just runs. I give it no access to the internet, so maybe once a year I update its software.... actually a good reminder.. New Years is when I do it  :)

Once you go the Nodelink route, there are a number of ways to deal with the information it provides. One is to use the admin console, the image is in my original post (there is also a runtime screen).  I chose to use UDI's Home Automation Dashboard (HAD) and created a runtime dashboard for mine. It helped initially in tweaking the humidity capabilities, as humidity control in winter (and summer) had been problematic for my house. After a couple of seasons, that's calibrated and I can simply look in on how things are going if I want. A view of my dashboard and the ISY programs I wrote are located here.  The other advatage of HAD is that custom had pages (like mine, above) can be accessed through the portal. As a work traveler, that's how I do it... no ports open on the router.. Work laptop->Portal login->my HAD page on my ISY.

...Or ... since Nodeserver devices can be copied to variables, you could skip had and look at items I have on my HAD on Mobilinc instead (I think this is possible, I don't have mobilinc)

The recommendation is to

1. Make sure these are what you want as thermostats and make sure they work with your HVAC system.. eg email Venstar

2. Get and install them, make sure the HVAC systems are configured and functioning properly

3. Install the mobile apps

4. Then, spend ~$75 on an RPI kit from CanaKit on Amazon... follow the directions above and set up, configure nodelink and go. I've run Nodelink on a windows desktop, it is a very light application, just needs to run 24/7. As stated above, Nodelink is an ISY Nodeserver, so it does require V5 ISY firmware. I currently holding at v5.04 since earlier this year.

If you don't go this route, you can send commands to the Venstar, but not get anything back.. mode, temp, humidity. 

Hope this helps, I can answer any other questions that you have.

Paul

Archived