Whole House One-Way Communication Issue

Still having troubles. Called SmartHome and they sent me a new PLM, this time a new version: V2.3 date code 4216. Firmware is still v9E. Factory reset and restored modem and it lost all links within 12 hours. Have also tried yet another circuit in the house. Have also tried formatting and restoring a backup to a new microSD (didn't expect that to solve it).

Will call SmartHome again tomorrow...

What ISY firmware and UI version are you running?

I never did figure out the root cause of the issue, but I seemed to have solved it. Memorializing here what worked and didn't in case anyone encounters the same issue in the future.

Issue

PLM kept losing the entire links table (links = 0 when queried) 12 hours or so after a Restore Modem

Resolution

• Factory reset PLM
  • Reset ISY to blank state by formatting SD card through telnet
  • Reload 4.5.4
  • Restore all configuration settings (not from backup, manually entered)
  • Re-add all Insteon and Z-Wave devices and recreate all scenes
  • Manually re-establish all variables
  • Restore network resources by importing previously exported file
  • Restore all programs by importing previously exported file

PLM has now retained links for 72 hours

What didn't solve the problem

• Replacing the PLM - 3 different PLMs tried with same symptoms. 2 were V2.2 and 1 was V2.3
  • Moving the PLM to a different circuit
    • I also experimented by restoring the links table to a PLM, then disconnecting the PLM from the ISY and plugging it into another outlet. I restored my second PLM and left it connected to the ISY. After 12 hours the PLM connected to the ISY had blanked. When I reconnected the isolated PLM, it still had the links. This suggests but is not definitive that it wasn't noise or spikes on the line blanking the PLM otherwise both may have blanked.
  • Replacing the "serial" cable between the ISY and PLM
  • Restoring a backup from several months ago
  • Removing the hardware Z-Wave module
  • Replacing the microSD card and restoring a backup
  • Downgrading the firmware to 4.4.6
  • Loading the non-safe mode version of 4.5.4 firmware 

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting to me.  I am now experiencing this issue.  I just recently installed a few more LED bulbs too but man I have a hard time thinking a bulb could cause an issue like this.  I replaced my PLM and did a restore and it worked for a day or two then everything stopped communicating.

Another strange thing is I have three of my dimmer switches in my bathroom where the leds are now flashing quickly for no apparent reason and I can't get them to stop.  I might have to try the breaker thing dpfrez talks about...it's becoming pretty frustrating though.

A good troubleshooting start is the replace the bulb(s) with incandescent bulbs and observe the result.

Yea...I just have over a dozen or so bulbs now that are LED.  I've been replacing them over time.  Although, I have to say I don't like the dimming on LED bulbs at all at this point even if they are more expensive ones so I might go back to incandescent while I can...

Guess I'm going to have to set aside some time to really troubleshoot this.  It's like gremlins are in my house now...

So I'm not sure what happened. I think I had some switch that was chatting. Because now the leds aren't blinking and everything is working again.

I noticed on the 3 dimmers the leds blink when a signal is going so apparently I had something sending signals over and over which was causing them to blink and all kinds of communication issues.

I'm not sure which device it was though. My 6 key dimmers leds are on default now again though so maybe those? I hadn't gotten around to doing anything so... Maybe the gremlins left...crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived