Can a PSC05 be used instead of a PLM with my ISY994i ?

Can a PSC05 be used instead of a PLM with my ISY994i ?

Is this a X-10 device and if so is the product listed under the hardware listing in the Admin Console? I don't suspect it is and does this device support Insteon?

What is the reason for using this device besides having one?

No, the X10 2 way computer interface/transceiver will not work with the ISY.

Only one of the specified PLMs will work: 2412S, 2413S (bottom of page), that have an X10 powerline transceiver on board in addition to Insteon.

Having migrated to the PLM from one of these, you need to be prepared that the PLM's X10 signal is a tad weaker (in my experience)

Paul

Thanks, for the replies, yes, the main reason was that I already had one.

I actually also have a 2413S hooked up to my insteon currently

but I wanted to also experiment with HouseLinc software which needs one also

(trying to save funds and not buy another one)

I can't share a single 2413S with the insteon hub and houslinc can I ?

thx, Scott

Hello Scott,

I don't believe that unit is also supported by HL2 as I don't recall it being one of the listed hardware devices. Back in the day HL2 only supported the USB version of the PLM. Later as the product was going end of life they changed it to allow the 2412S, 2413S PLM's etc.

Scott

I wouldn't recommend it. However, you can get a USB -> Serial converter and connect it from a PC to the PSC05 .

To Teken's point, I'd be surprised if houselinc supported it... something designed for X10 would be needed, like Active home (wow, that brings back memories... :)

It can get a little crazy if the same house/unit codes are being controlled by both the ISY and activehome

Paul

Scott

I wouldn't recommend it. However, you can get a USB -> Serial converter and connect it from a PC to the PSC05 .

To Teken's point, I'd be surprised if houselinc supported it... something designed for X10 would be needed, like Active home (wow, that brings back memories... :)

It can get a little crazy if the same house/unit codes are being controlled by both the ISY and activehome

Paul

What I am always surprised to read is the massive presence X-10 still has in HA still. 

The PSC05 will not work at all.

It is a stupid interface with no brains at all.

Inputs and outputs are opto isolated and current driven.

The computer has to encode the X10 commands and then pulse the power line transmitter on and off for the correct X10 signal on the power lines.

The X10 power line receiver sends a stream of on and off pulses to the computer and it has to decode them into a X10 message. Timed from a square wave pulse on the Zero Crossing output.

Teken;

There are still many long time X10 users. I doubt there would be many starting their HA experiences would go with X10.

X10 is not 100% dead quite yet.

Today a program called Alex10 was released so the Dot can now do X10. Not too sure if the original Echo was also tested.

A program called Lifejacket allows you to install a registered copy Active Home Pro on a new computer. Even though the registration servers are long gone.

Teken;

There are still many long time X10 users. I doubt there would be many starting their HA experiences would go with X10.

X10 is not 100% dead quite yet.

Today a program called Alex10 was released so the Dot can now do X10. Not too sure if the original Echo was also tested.

A program called Lifejacket allows you to install a registered copy Active Home Pro on a new computer. Even though the registration servers are long gone.

Brian H,

That's exactly what I'm talking about - The very fact people have continued to embrace and develop the grand father of home automation is simply incredible. I hope very much that we see the very same for Insteon, Z-Wave, ZigBee, etc.

Time will tell . . .

Hah, the Alex10 thing looks neat to, (best info I've seen on the thread, lol)  (I have an Amazon Echo and Dot)

I have so much X10 stuff laying around (yes, used to use ActiveHome, Housebot, many different things)

Just now starting to get into Insteon, I hate the additional investment so I am willing to suffer a bit with the mix of X10 and insteon

It's just a hobby after all  :wink:

thx again

I am still using a few X10 modules myself.

Older Insteon modules also could accept an X10 Primary Address programmed into them. I use a 16 address HR12 Palm pad to control them as there was no Insteon remote with sixteen functions. Limit is the ISY994i has no clue I have changed their state with X10.

I still have a few X10 Chime Modules as until the recent Siren Module was released. There was no nice Insteon sounder module.

Sounded by a Powerflash and ELK Doorbell Detector.

When the Siren Module gets added to the firmware. I may start using the Siren Module triggered by an I/OLinc.

The JV Digital Engineering XTB-IIR coupler repeater. Blast over a 10 volt X10 command on both incoming power lines and knows an Insteon command should not be falsely stepped on.

Archived