Measuring Water and Ambient Temperatures

GDavis01

Once again thanks...

The offset is poorly named and labeled - essentially all it means is what is the *First* variable ID number in use is. So for example lets say you have your first sensor number 1. But you already have existing variables in use so the *Newly* created variable for sensor number 1 is say ID:32.

Your off set would be 32 . . .

Does this mean that when I add a new sensor the bridge will automatically set it up to send the value to the next state variable after the offset number (if my last ISY state variable is 52, then setting the offset to 52 would mean that the next sensor would be automatically be set to 53)? Or am I misunderstanding this?

I have left the offset at '0' and here is what I did... on the ISY, I have numerous state variables with the last numbered one being 52. However there are a lot of holes in the sequence because I have deleted a number of unused variables. So when I set up my first sensor, I first created a new state variable on the ISY which had 19 as the ID, then on the Autelis bridge I chose 19 as the "Set ISY Variable Index for Device 1". Now variable 19 is updated. 

If your using 4.XX firmware like I am by default the system doesn't support (precision) decimal values like it does for the 5.XX branch. 

Actually I am on v.5.0.7 and yet the value in the state variable is 222 and not 22.2! Note that I have the variable set up to accept decimals, so I have to conclude that the bridge is not sending the data over in a decimal format. I was hoping to not have to resort to programming to fix that!

Once again thanks...

Does this mean that when I add a new sensor the bridge will automatically set it up to send the value to the next state variable after the offset number (if my last ISY state variable is 52, then setting the offset to 52 would mean that the next sensor would be automatically be set to 53)? Or am I misunderstanding this?

I have left the offset at '0' and here is what I did... on the ISY, I have numerous state variables with the last numbered one being 52. However there are a lot of holes in the sequence because I have deleted a number of unused variables. So when I set up my first sensor, I first created a new state variable on the ISY which had 19 as the ID, then on the Autelis bridge I chose 19 as the "Set ISY Variable Index for Device 1". Now variable 19 is updated. 

Actually I am on v.5.0.7 and yet the value in the state variable is 222 and not 22.2! Note that I have the variable set up to accept decimals, so I have to conclude that the bridge is not sending the data over in a decimal format. I was hoping to not have to resort to programming to fix that!

Hello GMD99,

The Autelis Bridge has no awareness of anything you do in the ISY Series Controller. The only reason the offset exists is because there had to be a means to determine what state variable ID was being used in the ISY. I would humbly suggest you create a block of state variables for all 32 sensors.

This will provide several things to you in terms of maintenance and house cleaning. You will always have a linear state variable ID reserved only for the Autelis Bridge. Next, just by looking you will always know say ID:53 to XX are for temperature probes.

As you noted you can *define* the actual state variable index in the Autelis Bridge. This didn't exist before until I pushed for it to be a *Feature* because as you noted up above there was no direct method to define a lone sensors ID. 

Either way is fine comes down to preference - You will notice by reading the *Install Thread* all the features you enjoy is because I pushed for them because the box was not very user friendly or had options which should have been present.

RE: 5.XX I may have been reading something out of context but I understood a person could define a precision. Am I incorrect in this belief?

RE: 5.XX I may have been reading something out of context but I understood a person could define a precision. Am I incorrect in this belief?

No your understanding is correct. On the ISY I have set the variable to a precision of 1. However, despite this, the value updated from the Autelis bridge is shown as 222 instead of 22.2 which suggests to me that they are sending over the full value and not the decimal value.

No your understanding is correct. On the ISY I have set the variable to a precision of 1. However, despite this, the value updated from the Autelis bridge is shown as 222 instead of 22.2 which suggests to me that they are sending over the full value and not the decimal value.

Hello GMD99,

You are correct the Autelis Bridge is sending whole values. But my understanding is you can change what the value *Appears* in the Admin Console so could you do me a favor and change the precision to 2-3 decimals and show me the screen capture of that before and after.

My expectation is with a precision of one 222 would appear with a precision of two I would expect 22.2

I would if I could! After I changed the precision to '2' the ISY froze!

Now I am having a lot of trouble restarting the ISY!! After a long time it has come back but all my state variables are gone!!!!

Unfortunately my last backup was January 13th and a lot has changed since then!!!

I don't know if it had anything to do with changing the precision,... but I hate coincidences...

I will have to get back to you on this after I have recovered! 

I would if I could! After I changed the precision to '2' the ISY froze!

Now I am having a lot of trouble restarting the ISY!! After a long time it has come back but all my state variables are gone!!!!

Unfortunately my last backup was January 13th and a lot has changed since then!!!

I don't know if it had anything to do with changing the precision,... but I hate coincidences...

I will have to get back to you on this after I have recovered! 

I am truly sorry to hear this my apologies if I had any hand in this. This is why I haven't tried any of the Alpha builds because my systems are in full production and can't have random faults like this happen. Let me know what happens once it recovers as I am very interested in seeing the precision of 1 vs 2 / 3 in the console.

Also, I understand this would probably be reflected in an custom email where variable substitution was included into the email.  

Thanks again for saving me a lot of grief and frustration...

I have changed the "1-Wire Interval"  to 60 seconds and I will probably increase it even more after I finish my testing.

I actually think that I created my own problem with a program I wrote to convert the non-decimal value to a decimal value and it was endlessly looping!!

Just so I understand, the "AutoRefresh" within the Autelis configuration is only to refresh the temperature locally and has no bearing on when the variable is sent to the ISY... correct?

To demonstrate the way decimals work with the variables in v5.0.7 here is a little program that I created:

New Program - [iD 0161][Parent 0001]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        $sTest01  = 222
        $sTest02  = 222
        $sTest03  = 22.2

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Here is a screen shot of the outcome:

post-2761-0-81769300-1487198096_thumb.jpg

Hopefully that is readable... but what it's showing is that the precision will only be reflected in the variable if the value sent is a decimal value. If I send 222 to the variable, no matter what precision value is set for that variable it will always show 222 but it will append .00 (222.00) if the precision is set to 2.

So Ideally I would like to see Autelis send the readings in decimal format. Perhaps to deal with those still on the 4.xx branch they could add an option to send it with or without decimals.

Refresh: Yes this only applies to what you see in the embedded web browser and has no impact on the send interval the ISY Series Controller receives. In case it was not obvious when you look at the end of the web URL. If it says 60 you can change that value to anything you like for a *Custom Refresh* rate.

I asked for this feature besides the default from Off, 5, 10, 30, 60, 300 etc.

This would allow any of the remote tablets to show case the temperatures of interest to me at a interval suitable for tracking and monitoring.

As you noted the send interval to the ISY Series Controller can and will impact the stability of the controller. Your only alternative is to increase the send interval where it balances current real time values vs performance. Ideally, what the maker should have done is offered a method to add a wait interval when multiple readings are sent to the controller.

This solution was implemented in the Brultech Dash Box which also sends state variables to the controller. Essentially what Ben did was insert a 100~200 mS space between the packets.

So instead of blasting the ISY Series Controller with 47 state variables at one time like 1,2,3,4, etc. The values are sent like this: 1...2...3...4 etc. Something as simple like a wait / pause on the surface doesn't seem to be too important but when your dealing with a state machine which is literally a FIFO (First In First Out) logic it plays a huge role in the outcome.

Precision Decimals: I had to go to a real computer to make out the image LOL. I am not too sure what is being presented is the $sTest03 = 22.2 not correct? This would probably make more sense to me if I could play with the system having 5.XX support and being able to see the cause and effect.

Glad you were able to access the controller! 

Precision Decimals: I had to go to a real computer to make out the image LOL. I am not too sure what is being presented is the $sTest03 = 22.2 not correct? This would probably make more sense to me if I could play with the system having 5.XX support and being able to see the cause and effect.

My point was to illustrate that in the program I sent 22.2 to the variable sTest03 (with a precision of 1) and it recorded it as such. However when I sent the value of 222 to the variable sTest01 (also with a precision of 1) it recorded it as 222.0. The variable takes what it's given, which makes sense to me. The issue is that Autelis, ideally for those on v5.xx, should be sending the decimal value.

Thanks for the tip about the AutoRefresh value in the url... it wasn't obvious that this could be done.

I believe the decimal value thing was requested in the Autelis Forum in the past. As with anything I was and am a lone voice so please do lend your support to that feature request. It never ceases to amaze me as to how many companies don't see value in adding features that would directly increase their product sales?!?! 

Archived