Cannot Determine Insteon Engine for Mini Remote

ray6543

I just purchase and Insteon 2342-242 Mini Remote and am trying to add the device to my ISY994 ZW/IR Pro INSTEON/Z.

Firmware it 4.54.  Have factory reset the mini remote .

I use the New Insteon Device > drop down to select the 2342-242, and enter the address.  I click okay, then put the device into linking mode next to the PLM.

A window pops us saying it's adding the device, then after a while another window pops up (see attachment) saying it can't add the device and listing the device address and model number, though wrong version, mine is v2.0, not v0.0.

The reason given is that it can't determine the Insteon Engine.

~Ray

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Can't Add.pdf

I just purchase and Insteon 2342-242 Mini Remote and am trying to add the device to my ISY994 ZW/IR Pro INSTEON/Z.

Firmware it 4.54.  Have factory reset the mini remote .

I use the New Insteon Device > drop down to select the 2342-242, and enter the address.  I click okay, then put the device into linking mode next to the PLM.

A window pops us saying it's adding the device, then after a while another window pops up (see attachment) saying it can't add the device and listing the device address and model number, though wrong version, mine is v2.0, not v0.0.

The reason given is that it can't determine the Insteon Engine.

~Ray

Hello Ray,

Please ensure the following has been done and confirmed.

- In the Admin Console select Help->About confirm both the UI and firmware are the same 4.5.4

- Ensure you charge the mini remote so its full and the white lock is not enabled.

- Select the two colored yellow / blue whirling arrows and select it. Follow the pop up message and report back success / failure.

NOTE: I am going to ask the obvious here so please confirm you do in fact have a 2413S PLM attached to the ISY Series Controller also. 

Since you have the Pro version.

Make sure the Automatic Writes to Battery Devices is enabled.

You may want to open the Event Viewer Level 3 and then try to add it. The information may also give a clue to what is happening.

I have had occasional issues with the battery operated device too close to the PLM.  You may also want to try the Mini Remote at the other end of the house after starting it in the Linking Mode.

Since you have the Pro version.

Make sure the Automatic Writes to Battery Devices is enabled.

You may want to open the Event Viewer Level 3 and then try to add it. The information may also give a clue to what is happening.

I have had occasional issues with the battery operated device too close to the PLM.  You may also want to try the Mini Remote at the other end of the house after starting it in the Linking Mode.

Automatic Writes to battery and All devices are enabled (green icon)

Opened Event viewer and tried again...

Tue 02/07/2017 01:38:14 PM : [3E F0 1D 0 ] Failed to add device, reason 3 Tue 02/07/2017 01:38:14 PM : ---- Start: Generate Scenes from links ---- Tue 02/07/2017 01:38:14 PM : ---- End: Generate Scenes from links ---- Tue 02/07/2017 01:38:14 PM : [All ] Writing 0 bytes to devices

Also have tried with mini remote 30 feet away and right next to the PLM.

Teken,

Both firmware are 4.5.4

Yes the PLM is installed and working on numerous Insteon devices

The mini remote is fully charged

I don't get any "two colored yellow / blue whirling arrows" ?!

Hello Ray,

I've highlighted the button you need to select in this image capture. Please follow the on screen pop up message to complete this task.

NOTE: Some people in the past had to use the Link Management->Link RemoteLinc 2->Switch / 4 / 8 to complete this task give it a try too.

post-1970-0-89507100-1486504403_thumb.png

Hello Ray,

I've highlighted the button you need to select in this image capture. Please follow the on screen pop up message to complete this task.

NOTE: Some people in the past had to use the Link Management->Link RemoteLinc 2->Switch / 4 / 8 to complete this task give it a try too.

Okay, I see the button you're referring too.

I assume when you say "... and the white lock is not enabled..." you mean the mini remote is powered on

In all cases it is a total failure.

Case I

1.  Top off mini remote power, and do a factory reset

2.  Put mini in linking mode (flashing green LED)

3.  Click the yellow/blue spining wheel

4   Per the instructions I click the Finish button

5.  The Linking in Progress window closes and nothing happens.  

After 3+ minutes the Mini remote beeps and the green LED stops blinking.

Case II

1. Top off mini remote power, and do a factory reset

2.  Remote Link2 > Switch >

3.  Put mini in linking mode (flashing green LED)

4.  Click Okay button

5.  Enter address and select mini remote 2342-242 (or leave a remote Link 2) and leaves

"Remove existng links) or any of the other 3 options, then click OK

6.  Returns: Can't determine Insteon Engine:

Hello Ray,

Would you please try the *Link Management* option from the top row. Also, please take the RL2 as far away from the 2413S PLM and perform this process.

It's normally about 40 feet away.  I've also tried it within 2 feet and now I've tried it about 60 feet away with the same result.

Ray

I bought one of these mini remotes about a year ago. If I recall correctly I was using version 26 in the ISY994. After a call to Smarthome after trying everything to get it to be recognized, I finally sent it back. At the time I searched the forum and found that it was hit and miss for those trying to add it to their system. Not to be a downer with my comments but hope you have better luck than I had.

I would like to buy one again but posts like yours give me pause.

Good luck

It's normally about 40 feet away.  I've also tried it within 2 feet and now I've tried it about 60 feet away with the same result.

Hello Ray,

If you take the RL2 and manually (direct link) it to another Insteon piece of hardware in the home what are the results? Also would you be able to move the 2413S PLM to another outlet in the home using a long extension cord.

Hello Ray,

If you take the RL2 and manually (direct link) it to another Insteon piece of hardware in the home what are the results? Also would you be able to move the 2413S PLM to another outlet in the home using a long extension cord.

Okay, I was not able to link the RL2 to any INSTEON Switch.  I did factory reset before each test.  Ended up with both RL2 and Switch's LEDs blinking green until the RL2 timed out. 

I'm returning it.

Okay, I was not able to link the RL2 to any INSTEON Switch.  I did factory reset before each test.  Ended up with both RL2 and Switch's LEDs blinking green until the RL2 timed out. 

I'm returning it.

Hello Ray,

If direct linking doesn't work at all your next step is indeed to return the RL2. I was really hoping to see direct manual linking be successful. If it was it simply indicated the RL2 was fine but there are some outside environmental's which are impacting your success to include it into the controller.

If you could let us know what the back of the white sticker notes as the production / revision that would be great to know. When the new one arrives if you could provide the very same that would be most helpful.

Sorry this has taken so much effort but rest assured the RL2 is a solid product.

Hello Ray,

If direct linking doesn't work at all your next step is indeed to return the RL2. I was really hoping to see direct manual linking be successful. If it was it simply indicated the RL2 was fine but there are some outside environmental's which are impacting your success to include it into the controller.

If you could let us know what the back of the white sticker notes as the production / revision that would be great to know. When the new one arrives if you could provide the very same that would be most helpful.

Sorry this has taken so much effort but rest assured the RL2 is a solid product.

FCC ID: SBP23422

IC:  5202A-23433

3E.F0.1D v2.0s 1617

Thanks for everyone's help on this.

~Ray

Thanks Ray, circle back and let us know what happens with the new unit along with the white sticker information. Assuming the RL2 links fine in the ISY Series Controller please let us know what the system notes as the firmware in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am having a heck of a time getting my Insteon mini remote 4 scene connected to my ISY as well.

Model 2342-232.

Address 3F0CFB v2.0S 1631

I'm running ISY 994i zw (21100) firmware 4.5.4 with portal integration.

i've tried adding the 4 scene remote multiple times both by clicking the circular arrows in the ribbon under the menu, through link management Start Linking, Through add a Link a RemoteLinc 2 4 scene keypad and then selecting 00.10 2342-232 remotelinc 2 keypad, 4 scene

i put the device in linking mode - the green light is blinking - i type the address 3F-0C-FB into the address bar, name it, sub select option 00.10 click ok and nothing happens. 

i have also tried option 00.1b 2342-232 mini remote keypad, 4 scene

still nothing happens when i push ok.

i have tried this up close to my isy/plm and quite a distance away.

any advice?

I tried one of my 2342-232 4 Scene RemoteLincs. V2.0s 1643 3F 40 A3

If you have a Pro firmware model. I found it is easiest to have Automatic Writes to Battery Operated Devices enabled while doing it. Though I normally have it disabled so more than one RF device is written to at a time.

The Link Management Start Linking method does not work.

The Drop Down Menu Choice RemoteLinc 2

2 Scene Keypad

Then putting in the correct address and a name did work. After putting the remote into the linking mode and clicking on OK.

Double check you have the correct 6 digit ID. On mine the label was slightly smudged and I misread the address. 8 and B, or using a Letter O by mistake for a 0 are some of the possibilities.

Not sure if it was all of your problem.

I tried the "-" and it gave an instant format error message. You didn't mention a format error in your posts.

I know a "." works and I believe a space may also work.

Did you ever verify the six digit Insteon ID is the same on the RL2 label and what MY Lighting is showing?

If it was incorrect on the label. Adding the LampLinc with Keep Existing Links may have gotten the real ID into the system.

Not sure if it was all of your problem.

I tried the "-" and it gave an instant format error message. You didn't mention a format error in your posts.

I know a "." works and I believe a space may also work.

Did you ever verify the six digit Insteon ID is the same on the RL2 label and what MY Lighting is showing?

If it was incorrect on the label. Adding the LampLinc with Keep Existing Links may have gotten the real ID into the system.

Sorry I didn't provide more details:

1. The label was correct - I found the information in isy showing the same address.

2. When I typed using - I received an error. It was never accepted.

3. When i typed with no spaces the window dropped out and I received no further communications.

4. I never tried using periods but I will add more devices soon and will share the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived