Minneapolis Area

TrojanHorse

Sure thing.  Maybe wrong forum though since it's not directly UDI related...

I DIY'ed an Elk system with several wired keypads, motion sensors, door and window contacts, system sensor smokes, as well as CAT6 to several locations for cameras, wireless APs, etc.  As this was my first time working with "structured wiring" and I completed bits and pieces over time, I now have a somewhat messy wiring closet.  I ran most of the wiring into the closet with flexible conduit.  

Everything works, but I need some help with organizing the cabling and service loops.  It could look prettier too.  I probably need to incorporate a raceway of some type.  There's not enough room for a proper rack for A/V or networking components, and I'm using just a wall-mounted patch panel for the CAT wiring.  The 28 inch ELK can is surface mounted.  

I also ran some shielded FPLR cable and realize that I should ground the shields but don't know the best way to do this.  

I know there's an art to cable dressing, not just a science.  Now that I've run probably 90%+ of the wires that I want (some for future use), I'd like to tidy everything up once and for all (or hire someone who's done it before).  I'm not sure if this is helpful information, nor do I know exactly what all my questions are yet.  

To start, maybe:

1. How to terminate / ground the shielded FPLR cable (I understand I do this only at one end in the closet)?

2. How long should the service loops be for CAT cables and for security wiring?  I don't anticipate moving things around much, if at all.  

3. Alternatives to stuffing the service loop in the ceiling?

4. Panduit, or similar, suggestions?

I've read some best practices for cable management, but much of what I've found relates to rack components and commercial installations.  

Any thought / suggestion / advice is welcome.  

Thanksj

1. Most FPLR shielded cable has a bare wire, does yours? BTW, you are correct, the ground should be at only one end.

2. Service loops are primarily for neatness.and convenience (e.g. the termination needs to be replaced, the equipment is relocated a bit to make room for something else). There's no rule.

3. You can place the service loop wherever it's convenient.

4. There are bunches of alternatives for cable ties and clamps and bunches of colors, too B)

Archived