slow to make any changes

jkraus

I have had the isy for several years and added a fair number of Insteon devices.  There are a few scenes but not so many  However, when I make a change (something simple like changing the device on level in a scene) it takes many minutes to update.  It seems like it goes off to make changes on almost every device.  Yes, some of them are linked devices, so make sense.  But despite the system not getting any more compex, the time to make these changes seems to have increased over the years.  Now, the very simplest of changes is sometimes over 10 minutes.

Does something need to be "clean out" like relinking some things?  At a loss.

Thx

Joe

Hello Joe,

First thing to do is disable all programs to see if updating performance increases. If so you need to determine which programs are impacting the system a simple add one at a time will offer this insight.

If disabling all programs doesn't increase the read / write to hardware you could perform a restore PLM. Doing so will delete any errant links in the system.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Would there be an adverse effect if I did a "restore PLM" as the first step. It seems easier than disabling all the programs as a first step.

No, but this process is extremely labor intensive and require battery operated devices to be updated later also.

Disabling programs takes mere seconds and the cause and effect is seen immediately. You could go through many hours of a restore only to find the same end result.

If you have the "Pro" version, you can defer device updates while you make your changes. Then, re-enable updates and walk away while they take place.

File > Automatic Writes to Devices

toggles it. The icon is green when enabled, gray when not.

Really, making updates to any more than a very small system is very inconvenient otherwise, as you have to wait for every change to take effect before going on to the next.

IMO, maybe it is time for this to no longer be a "PRO" feature. I think at one time it was thought this was mainly useful to installers. I think it gives the product a significant black eye from the viewpoint of users. Why make it so difficult to set up a system? "To encourage an upgrade to PRO" is a bad answer. This feature should be opened-up for all versions of the product.

Ha pending writes would definitely impact the system. As good practice reboot the controller to ensure its complete.

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

Ha pending writes would definitely impact the system. As good practice reboot the controller to ensure its complete.

Taken, silly question - but I'm still new.

How do you reboot the controller?

Do you need to backup the configuration first?

Any additional work?

Thanks.

Chicago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taken, silly question - but I'm still new.

How do you reboot the controller?

Do you need to backup the configuration first?

Any additional work?

Thanks.

Chicago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

You have two choices one is via the Admin Console: Configuration -> System -> System -> Reboot. This is a soft boot initiated by you from the console. Should you ever see odd behavior where a soft reboot does not cure what ails you a hard reboot can normally solve that. 

A hard reboot is simply you unplugging the ISY Series Controller from the main power outlet. Wait about ten seconds than reapply main power and let the controller go through its POST and settle down.

Then, all should be good . . .

Archived