IRLinc control through the ISY?

TomG

I picked up an IRLinc 2411R with the thought of using it to dim the lighting around my entertainment center. The plan was to have it receive the signal form the entertainment center's universal remote and activate a scene through the ISYi-ZW to adjust the lighting, but after playing around with it, it looks as though the IRLinc is a stand alone controller and doesn't operate through the ISY. This is a problem for me, because the majority of my devices are Z-wave and the IRLinc doesn't recognize them. The ISYi-ZW does see the IRLink, but doesn't seem to communicate with it.

Is there any way around this, or do I need to buy Insteon dimmers to use with this thing?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom

Its supported:

• Link management menu
  • New Insteon Device
  • Scroll down the device type list to 3.06
  • Add the address and it should install

I think the irlincs are powerline only. One possible problem is that A/V gear is very noisy. Try locating the IRlinc elsewhere, near the PLM for initial install. If that works, its very likely noise from TV, DVR,... other electronics. If that's it, those need to be plugged in behind a filterlnc to quiet them down

Paul

This will work. I do the same thing, I would recommend making sure the IR Linc is not plugged into a surge suppressor or power conditioner of any kind. I use a URC 850 RF to its base station that then sends IR to the IR Linc, that then does many things on the ISY. Some of these things include setting variables via remote macros indicating current viewing modes, which then modifies house Sonos start ups etc. It can be quite convoluted, but it works flawlessly. 

Both the IRLinc receiver and the IRLinc transmitter are compatible with the ISY. If you can't add it to the ISY, then check what else if on the same circuit. Some audio and video gear can interfere and needs to be filtered.

Once you add the IRLinc to the ISY, select Link Management to add nodes that the ISY can use to trigger programs that control Z-Wave devices.

Ok, so I clicked the "Start Linking" tab under Link Management, held the set button on the IRLink receiver and a device called 24.38.77.0 showed up on my list of devices. Now how do I use this device to activate a scene with a button press on the remote?

Tom

So I was able to create a node, and get it to turn on and off in response to the remote, but that's about it. I've had zero success in getting it to control any other devices . I could probably get this thing working if there was some documentation available, but all I can find is the quick-start guide that came with the device which is pretty much useless for anything but setting up the IRLink as a stand alone controller.

Any idea where I can find more detailed documentation?

Thanks,

Tom

How are you using the node, as a scene controller? as a program trigger? I'm not aware of any other documentation, but if there is any it probably won't address the ISY.

I would like to use it to control a Z-Wave dimmer, but the node just appears to either on or off. Do I need to write a program to set the dimmer to a predetermined level and just trigger the program with the node?

I did find a more complete owners manual for the IRLink, but as you said, there wasn't anything in it about it with an ISY.

Tom

I would like to use it to control a Z-Wave dimmer, but the node just appears to either on or off. Do I need to write a program to set the dimmer to a predetermined level and just trigger the program with the node?

That's true, the IRLinc node is only on or off. As Paul indicated, the ISY (v.4+) is not capable of Z-Wave scenes. Z-Wave devices are controlled by programs only. Also, a program is required to use a Z-Wave device as a trigger.

Archived