Vehicle Security at Home

TomG

Hello all,

We've had a disturbing number of car break-ins in our neighborhood lately, which got me thinking about using my Elk security system, or ISY to monitor them. 

One thing that came to mind was to use one or more PIR motion sensors aimed at the area, but the beam pattern is much to wide and would probably trigger a lot of false alarms. I suspect it would be possible to narrow the pattern by masking or refocusing the beam, but I haven't explored that area yet. I've also seen devices that create an RF field around the car, but those are intended to be used with the vehicle alarm. I suppose one could use a light beam to surround the area, but that would require a couple of very solid posts for the turning mirrors (and a way to shield them from the great outdoors).

Any other thoughts? I'll be retiring soon and need another project to add to the list. :)

Tom

Hello all,

We've had a disturbing number of car break-ins in our neighborhood lately, which got me thinking about using my Elk security system, or ISY to monitor them.

One thing that came to mind was to use one or more PIR motion sensors aimed at the area, but the beam pattern is much to wide and would probably trigger a lot of false alarms. I suspect it would be possible to narrow the pattern by masking or refocusing the beam, but I haven't explored that area yet. I've also seen devices that create an RF field around the car, but those are intended to be used with the vehicle alarm. I suppose one could use a light beam to surround the area, but that would require a couple of very solid posts for the turning mirrors (and a way to shield them from the great outdoors).

Any other thoughts? I'll be retiring soon and need another project to add to the list. :)

Tom

Park in the garage?

Hi Tom

I use the insteon motion sensor to cover my driveway area and turn on the floodlights when something is there .The first jumper reduces its sensitivity by about one third. That's how I keep it from triggering fromevery car that goes by on the street or people on the sidewalk. It takes a little experimenting to get the placement right, but it's a really good solution once you do.

Paul

Tom

It's really conditional based on the property. Ideally I could have one more on my garage covering the other side of the cars. But I get really good coverage now. Maybe start with one and see how it works for a week or so. If you're not happy with it, then add another one, it can just be added to the same scene for whatever devices/actions you turn on.

Last fall It went off, and there were 2 guys that were 60' away got in a truck and drove off. I think they believed that my led yard lights were solar and were planning to pull some up, (they are not solar). About the time they reached for one, they got a dose of floodlights.. that was the end of it, other than pushing the yardlights back in.

Paul

We have a lot of that here to.  Plus a drive by shooter once.  My cameras caught the shooter and also someone that did a hit and run on one of our cars.

I have one Insteon motion aimed at the driveway but its really not covering well.  I plan on adding two more at the end of the driveway and aiming at the cars but directed/aimed towards the house not the street so they wont trip on cars driving by.  I can have them set to highest sensitivity then and adjust down if I have to .  If I hide them well nobody would ever know.

Biggest problem is the battery life and knowing when the batteries are dead.  I have one PIR in my laundry room about 2 years now on the same battery and its constant traffic.  Another in my workshop that gets 1/10th of the traffic and the battery lasts 3 to 5 months tops.  Just your typical quality issues with Insteon.

I use two insteon motion sensors at the top corners of the garage door, "cross firing" onto the driveway across two cars. Programmatically, I require BOTH sensors be triggered within 10 seconds to kick off other actions.

This has proven to be an effective way to "control" false alarms.

I use two insteon motion sensors at the top corners of the garage door, "cross firing" onto the driveway across two cars. Programmatically, I require BOTH sensors be triggered within 10 seconds to kick off other actions.

This has proven to be an effective way to "control" false alarms.

Cross zoning. I forgot about that.  Thanks I will add that to.

A couple well placed cameras would be the best bet I think. Then could use Insteon or Elk sensors to turn on lights to get a better image. Running the cat6 for POE would be a little project if that's what you seek.

IMO you can get some pretty good outdoor cameras for say $150 each. I've been happy with Hikvision.

A couple well placed cameras would be the best bet I think. Then could use Insteon or Elk sensors to turn on lights to get a better image. Running the cat6 for POE would be a little project if that's what you seek.

IMO you can get some pretty good outdoor cameras for say $150 each. I've been happy with Hikvision.

If you are going to buy cameras, don't fall into the MP hype. The new Dahua Starlight 2MP cameras BLOW AWAY just about everything else out there right now. I'm currently in the process of replacing about a dozen 3 and 4 MP HikVision with these:

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw5231r-z-3651.html

INCREDIBLE upgrade.

Using cameras to record a video of my car being stolen really doesn't interest me. Although having one of me exercising my second amendment rights as I ask them to leave might be fun. :mrgreen: Unless you are talking about using the cameras to detect motion, but I've read that is not very reliable.

Tom

If you need security, then use a security system--nothing else is even closely adequate. OTOH, there's a wide option of deterrents, observation and notifications possible. Do you have a car alarm? One that clearly indicates that the vehicle is alarmed?

Years back I used a leaf-timer to alternately flash a yellow and red LED on the dashboard panel. Nothing else B)

Yes the cars are alarmed, but if the zone was alarmed as well, the ISY could turn on house lights, driveway lights, maybe even sound an alert, and that might save a smashed window. Security comes in many forms.

Tom

Alarming a zone is entirely dependent on the area that needs to be protected and the normal traffic in that area. Can you provide an accurate description of that area. An outdoor parking area that changes presents a very difficult situation.

Archived