Replace an Insteon countdown timer on a fan with...?

tome

I have 2484DWH8 KeypadLinc Countdown Timers (v.2D) on several fans in my house.  Had a recent power outage and when the power came back on one of those appears to be dead.  I went to buy a replacement and don't see it listed anywhere.  Is there a different one I am not finding or is there another way to implement the countdown timer keypad linc?  They have worked quite well for the purpose of ensuring my family doesn't leave fans running in bathrooms...

-Tom

What about an occupancy sensor switch for $23?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otherwise couldn't a program be written to count down when a keypad link activates your fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occupancy sensor isn't ideal for a couple reasons.  One of the locations has the fan and the switch for the fan in small room (WC) with the toilet.  So to run the bathroom fan you have to reach into the WC to enable the fan.  Occupancy may not be detected.  Secondly, I don't necessarily want the fan to come on every time someone goes in the bathroom.  I want them to turn it on as needed.

I was wondering if the countdown timer got discontinued because some other device can perform the same function.  Could a regular keypad linc be a countdown timer?  I liked the fact that the countdown timer did not have an "On" button.  That is, you couldn't just turn the fan on, it was always a time selection from 1min to 2 hours, and it had an Off button.  Can a Keypad linc be configured like that?

-Tom

The wonderful countdown timer has been discontinued. Yes, you can configure a KPL to duplicate the countdown timer. If you wan to totally disable the On function, then you'll need to not connect the load to anything and use a Micro Module.

Power cycle reset?

Hello Tom,

You have two choices here from least invasive to full on.

- Pull the clear set button out and wait ten seconds. Once that time elapses push the set button back in until flush.

- If that doesn't work you can perform a hard reset. Pull out the set button wait ten seconds. Push the button all the way and hold until you see and hear the KPL beep and the load flash. You should review the hard reset procedure for the KPL timer as some details may be different for this model.

ie. Sometimes the user will just hear a beep. Other times a beep and the load will flash. While other times just the load flashes.

If you perform the hard reset your next step is to right mouse click and select *Restore Device* this will recreate all the programming and links to the system.

The wonderful countdown timer has been discontinued. Yes, you can configure a KPL to duplicate the countdown timer. If you wan to totally disable the On function, then you'll need to not connect the load to anything and use a Micro Module.

Do you know why they discontinued it?   Bummer on needing a Micro Module to disable On button.  Just seems silly to spend nearly $100 to control a fan.  I guess I may have to re-train the family :-o  Or perhaps just look for a non-insteon solution.  I don't really need them to be insteon, it was just convenient when I found the countdown module...

-Tom

Hello Tom,

You have two choices here from least invasive to full on.

- Pull the clear set button out and wait ten seconds. Once that time elapses push the set button back in until flush.

- If that doesn't work you can perform a hard reset. Pull out the set button wait ten seconds. Push the button all the way and hold until you see and hear the KPL beep and the load flash. You should review the hard reset procedure for the KPL timer as some details may be different for this model.

ie. Sometimes the user will just hear a beep. Other times a beep and the load will flash. While other times just the load flashes.

If you perform the hard reset your next step is to right mouse click and select *Restore Device* this will recreate all the programming and links to the system.

All of you are my heros!   The simple reset worked!  Long live the discontinued countdown timer!!

Many thanks to you all. 

-Tom

Archived