Dot Behavior - Not UD ISY related (I think)

barrygordon

I am curious if anyone else is seeing this,

First the configuration:

Five Dots, two first gen, three second gen  All dots at their latest software releases. All dots running with DHCP, router has reserved IP addresses so each dot always gets the same IP address.

Issue 1:

Periodically when I speak a command the light ring turns red and the dot states it is having internet issues, I think it states the internet connection is missing. I just wait a second and re-speak the exact same command and it works fine.

Issue 2:

Periodically I find the light ring sitting at blue and the dot will not respond to any command.  The Alexa app states that dot is off line. It never recovers and I need to kill power to effect a recovery.

I have been dealing lately with an Amazon Fire TV and was getting "Network issues" I changed it from DHCP to static IP and the problem never occurred again. I am thinking of setting all the Dots to static IP addresses. Thoughts?

For those interested I can control the Fire TV from a PC using ADB (Android DeBug tool) which means I can have a program that will handle requests from an Alexa intermediary (e.g. a Raspberry Pi) working in conjunction with the UDI networking module  to control the Fire TV. I Have not been successful in being able to control a Fire TV with direct TCP/IP.  If any one knows how to do that I would be interested in discussing that with them.  

I've found that the Echo is very picky regarding my wifi connection.  Seems to require a strong signal to the degree that I actually had to change the location of one of my wireless access points.  It sounds like your issue #2 is a hardware problem but that's just a guess.  

Here's a link from CNET for trouble shooting...  

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-connectivity-issues-with-the-amazon-echo/

Good luck.

A few have found with dual band routers that the antenna system just can't handle the power output into two frequencies.

Turning the power output levels down in your router, or access point, increases the success of most device comms.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

Archived