Reset & Restore vs. Start Over

rhughes

Hi,

I'm having some odd problems with my system, including missed events and changing links. My communications seem to be clean (no more -2 in the log). I'm pretty sure it's a combination of a couple bad devices and the ISY not being in synch with other devices.

My question is: is it sufficient to merely do a factory reset of all the devices and then restore from ISY, or is it better to clear everything out of the ISY, do a factory reset of the devices and then rebuild everything from scratch (wow, that will be a lot of work!)?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm having some odd problems with my system, including missed events and changing links. My communications seem to be clean (no more -2 in the log). I'm pretty sure it's a combination of a couple bad devices and the ISY not being in synch with other devices.

My question is: is it sufficient to merely do a factory reset of all the devices and then restore from ISY, or is it better to clear everything out of the ISY, do a factory reset of the devices and then rebuild everything from scratch (wow, that will be a lot of work!)?

Thanks.

Randy, I would definitely attempt Restore before deleting and re-adding a device.

Do you think a lot of your devices are corrupted? Are you using v2.7?

Rand

Hi Rand,

Thanks for the reply. I am using version 2.7. I think I may have a questionable LampLinc. It generally works, but the links get corrupted after I reset and restore it. I'll swap it out and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, I have a program that turns on a couple of SwitchLink dimmers, waits 4 seconds and then dims them off (triggered by a motion sensor). Occasionally, the devices both come on but then do not turn off. When I look at the log, I see where they come on, but for some reason they're not turned off. No other events occur at about the same time and there's no -2 com entries. I assume something is interrupting the program, but I can't find anything.

Oh, well. These are minor problems and otherwise my system is working fine. You guys keep up the great work on the ISY.

Thanks.

Hi Rand,

Thanks for the reply. I am using version 2.7. I think I may have a questionable LampLinc. It generally works, but the links get corrupted after I reset and restore it. I'll swap it out and see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise, I have a program that turns on a couple of SwitchLink dimmers, waits 4 seconds and then dims them off (triggered by a motion sensor). Occasionally, the devices both come on but then do not turn off. When I look at the log, I see where they come on, but for some reason they're not turned off. No other events occur at about the same time and there's no -2 com entries. I assume something is interrupting the program, but I can't find anything.

Oh, well. These are minor problems and otherwise my system is working fine. You guys keep up the great work on the ISY.

Thanks.

If you have another LampLinc I would suggest using Replace. I have seen LampLincs go south (I have some OLD devices). If the database seems to become corrupted in the replacement I would have to suspect some power line noise in the area.

I don't understand why your program should sometimes fail. Can you Copy/Paste it here? If you increase the Wait time it may be easier to watch in the Program Summary tab to see if it changes to False before sending the Off.

Rand

I'm beginning to think it is noise on the line that's causing my problems. I had several KPL statuses missed last night along with some programmed device off actions not received. Would missed events due to noise or signal suckers result in -2 Log Type entries in the log? When I dump the log, I only see a couple of -2 entries for the past 2 weeks. I just got a new LCD TV recently, so I'll try filtering that.

I'm beginning to think it is noise on the line that's causing my problems. I had several KPL statuses missed last night along with some programmed device off actions not received. Would missed events due to noise or signal suckers result in -2 Log Type entries in the log? When I dump the log, I only see a couple of -2 entries for the past 2 weeks. I just got a new LCD TV recently, so I'll try filtering that.

If you are controlling scenes (aren't we all?) you will probably not see errors in the log.

Have you tried the new Test Scene function? Tools/Diagnostics/Test Scene. That should help you locate noise sources.

Rand

Thanks for the info. Now it t makes sense why I'm not seeing -2's in the log. I ran the scene test 6 times with no issues. However, I did a Query All with the Event Viewer on and 16 of my devices (out of 60) have 0 hops left. Included are the devices I've been having issues with. I'm guessing I need to focus in those areas. I have 4 Access Points that I can start moving around. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for the info. Now it t makes sense why I'm not seeing -2's in the log. I ran the scene test 6 times with no issues. However, I did a Query All with the Event Viewer on and 16 of my devices (out of 60) have 0 hops left. Included are the devices I've been having issues with. I'm guessing I need to focus in those areas. I have 4 Access Points that I can start moving around. Does that sound reasonable?

Sure. Do you have one AP on the PLM?

Can you unplug the new TV and see if things improve? Sometimes they don't even have to be on.

Hi Rand,

Thanks for your suggestions. It turned out to be two problems. The first was a small issue with my programs that I was able to fix. It occurred when my motion sensors fired again before the program finished (they have a fairly fast recycle rate). The other issue was signal quality. I moved the APs around, including putting one on the PLM, which helped.

Thanks, again.

Hi Rand,

Thanks for your suggestions. It turned out to be two problems. The first was a small issue with my programs that I was able to fix. It occurred when my motion sensors fired again before the program finished (they have a fairly fast recycle rate).

I'm glad to read that.

The other issue was signal quality. I moved the APs around, including putting one on the PLM, which helped.

Thanks, again.

I am glad to read that as well :)

Rand

Archived