Insteon 2477D Dual Band SwitchLinc Dimmer ISY cannot control

Here is my situation..

I have 1 ceiling light hooked up to 2 Insteon Dual Bank 2477D switches acting like a 3 way switch.

The lower switch is hooked up directly to light the upper switch is just linked.

I have linked both switches work perfectly independent from the ISY.. so both switches can turn on and off the light.

Now I have discovered the switches in the ISY Lower being the main and Upper being the linked switch.

Both switches detected and installed by the ISY with no issues that could be seen, seem pretty straight forward.

I can control  the lower switch via ISY turning light on and off, this is the main switch which of course is hooked up direct to light.

Now the Upper switch when I try to turn on and off light via ISY, light switch Insteon/ 2477D shows on the lights on switch as being turned on and off yet light non responsive, unlike using lower switch light turns on and off.

I query the upper switch and it does not properly reflect the state of the light however turning on the device from ISY I see the lights changing on the switch ie on/off no problem however light though remains unresponsive... As if the signal from the switch is not making it to the main switch that truly controls the light??

Anyone see this only setup doing this, others working fine??? I even replaced the upper switch thinking maybe faulty, however have not replaced the lower switch for it seems to be working fine.

Using the switching manually without ISY day to day on/off both work properly for seem to be properly linked?

Is there a way to force the ISY to take update from the switches directly vs ISY writing to the switch? Maybe the ISY just needs to get updated somehow?

Thanks

Roman

Hi Roman

It sounds like you've manually linked the switches outside of the ISY. Unfortunately the ISY does not know about such linking and it explains the behavior you're getting.

You'll want the linking to be owned and managed by the ISY by creating a scene, and not manual/physical linking between the switches themselves.

I would factory reset the switches, add them to the ISY, and then use the ISY to create a scene that includes both switches as controllers. That should satisfy all of the requirements.

Paul

Hi Roman

It sounds like you've manually linked the switches outside of the ISY. Unfortunately the ISY does not know about such linking and it explains the behavior you're getting.

You'll want the linking to be owned and managed by the ISY by creating a scene, and not manual/physical linking between the switches themselves.

I would factory reset the switches, add them to the ISY, and then use the ISY to create a scene that includes both switches as controllers. That should satisfy all of the requirements.

Paul

Thanks Paul for the response.. I have 3 other scenarios such as above and All are working fine??? Individually as well as in a scene for easier to control in a scene scenario..

Have done this and Scene shows both the same, but I did notice one thing that is different in this scenario vs my other  3.. The Insteon Versions do not match up each switch is a different version, can this be the reason?? Dimmer V.40 Lower (works) Dimmer V.41 ISY cannot control.

Sounds like you are sending a command from ISY to the upper switch..it reacts, and the other doesn't.  That's expected.

I think you have the following setup:

• SwitchA (lower switch, connected to load/light)
  • SwitchB (upper switch, not connected to anything)
  • SceneA - both SwitchA and SwitchB are controllers of the scene (assume both set the light to 100%)

Starting with everything off:

• From ISY, if you command SwitchA to On, the light turns on, SwitchA LED indicators show 100%, and nothing happens to SwitchB
  • From ISY, if you command SwitchB to On, the light remains off, SwitchB LED indicators show 100%, and nothing happens to SwitchA
  • From ISY, if you command SceneA to On, the light turns, SwitchA LED indicators show 100%, and SwitchB LED indicators show 100%

If you want things to stay in sync, use SceneA from the ISY.  Insteon devices don't forward commands.

Sounds like you are sending a command from ISY to the upper switch..it reacts, and the other doesn't.  That's expected.

I think you have the following setup:

• SwitchA (lower switch, connected to load/light)
  • SwitchB (upper switch, not connected to anything)
  • SceneA - both SwitchA and SwitchB are controllers of the scene (assume both set the light to 100%)

Starting with everything off:

• From ISY, if you command SwitchA to On, the light turns on, SwitchA LED indicators show 100%, and nothing happens to SwitchB
  • From ISY, if you command SwitchB to On, the light remains off, SwitchB LED indicators show 100%, and nothing happens to SwitchA
  • From ISY, if you command SceneA to On, the light turns, SwitchA LED indicators show 100%, and SwitchB LED indicators show 100%

If you want things to stay in sync, use SceneA from the ISY.  Insteon devices don't forward commands.

Okay any reason why if I go into the ISY and try to turn on/off just Switch B why the light will not turn on? yet in 3 other cases no issues??

Any chance you created programs to keep things in sync?

In no standard Insteon config will remotely turning on one controller in a scene cause it to forward commands to other devices. That could create a never-ending firestorm of Insteon activity.

Okay any reason why if I go into the ISY and try to turn on/off just Switch B why the light will not turn on? yet in 3 other cases no issues??

That's expected. Turning switch B on does not activate a scene with the other switch.

If you want switches to act in unison, you have to create a scene with the ISY and

Set Scene name on

and not

Set Device name on

I can't explain the other cases without knowing more. What you describe is working as designed.

Paul

Thanks to everyone's responses.. I realized later after re-reading Paul's notes, true responder does not work, always the controller.. So all is fine now.. Need to stop testing middle of the night LOL :")

Appreciate everyone's input it definitely helped.

Roman

If you want switches to act in unison, you have to create a scene with the ISY and

Set Scene name on

and not

Set Device name on

I have a situation virtually identical to the OP. Thanks for this topic. I don't understand how to distinguish between "set scene" and "set device" in the ISY. Is this an option somewhere?

Secondly, I want my on level to be 65% instead of 100%. That works fine when I turn on my "SwitchA", but when I turn on "SwitchB" the lights go to 100%. From what I read, that's the expected behavior. Unfortunately, my "SwitchB" is the one I use 99% of the time. Other than activating the scene from my phone or Echo, is there any way I get set a 65% on level when I hit my "SwitchB"?

Hi Tim

The Set commands are program statements in ISY programs. 

If you are in the ISY console and want to manually test switches, you'll create a scene, and then turn the scene on and off, and no the individual switch. Turning an individual switch and off only controls it individually, and not linked devices. Only scenes can control a switch and linked devices.

This also true if you decide to start using the Amazon Echo/Alexa. You'll want to publish scenes to Alexa to turn on and off to control a group of linked switches.

For the 65% on level, you need to set the expected dim level, by switch, in the scene you create with all of the participants. When you turn that scene on, it will set all participants to those levels.

Paul

Archived