Replacing 2856D2B with 2457D2

Ryan

I have 2 very old Icon 2856D2B plug-in dimmers that I'm trying to replace with 2 new 2457D2 LampLincs. After adding the new dimmers to the ISY and removing both the old and new devices from their original folders, the new devices still don't show up as replacement options for the old devices.

The new LampLincs are recognized by the ISY as "(B2457D2) LampLinc BiPhy v.43". The old ones show up as "(2856D2) Icon LampLinc 2 Pin v.38" -- notice the missing "B" in the detected model number.

I understand that if the old dimmers were responder devices only, a direct replacement may not be possible. However, this model does have load sensing, even though the ISY doesn't show that it could be a controller.

Were the old Icon dimmers improperly detected as the wrong model when they were installed? I don't even see "2856D2B" in the "New Insteon Device" type dropdown.

Could these modules have load sense and still really not be controllers -- and therefore, I'm out of luck?

I can go ahead and manually setup the replacement devices, but I'd like to make sure that I'm not missing something obvious before I do all that extra work...

Can an Icon 2856D2B be automatically replaced with a 2457D2 or not?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't think the detected model is incorrect. I believe both models have the same Category and Subcategory Insteon ID when detected by the ISY994i.

Load Sensing in this case is for Local Control.

If the module is Off and you toggle the loads own power switch Off and then back On. The module will turn On with out an Insteon or X10 command.

My older firmware v.28 do not send a message back to my ISY994i when Local Control is used. Your v.38 maybe similar.

IMHO. It isn't a direct replacement and may not be possible.

Brian,

Yes, I believe you're right about the "local-control-only" load sensing.

I agree that a direct replacement probably isn't going to happen in this case. I'm glad to have a second opinion on this though.

Thanks for your help!

Archived