Programming Action List missing items

After installing, configuring and testing a large Insteon/ISY994i with ZWave installation, it was time to write my first ISY program.   When I went to program an ACTION the drop down list was missing the INSTEON action item that lets you turn a scene on or off.  The list has only these nine items:

YOUR DEVICES

SEND X10

NOTIFY

PROGRAM

WAIT

REPEAT

VARIABLE

ADJUST SCENE

SYSTEM

I verified that the UI and Firmware are all at 4.5.4.

I'm lost, what might I have I done (or not done) to cause this (and more importantly what do I do to restore the action to the pick list so I can do the programming?)

Phil

After installing, configuring and testing a large Insteon/ISY994i with ZWave installation, it was time to write my first ISY program.   When I went to program an ACTION the drop down list was missing the INSTEON action item that lets you turn a scene on or off.  The list has only these nine items:

YOUR DEVICES

SEND X10

NOTIFY

PROGRAM

WAIT

REPEAT

VARIABLE

ADJUST SCENE

SYSTEM

I verified that the UI and Firmware are all at 4.5.4.

I'm lost, what might I have I done (or not done) to cause this (and more importantly what do I do to restore the action to the pick list so I can do the programming?)

Phil

That appears to be correct.

You'll have different options depending on whether you select IF, THEN, or ELSE

The ISY user manual has a section on programming that you might find helpful.

If you're still stuck, then let me know what you'd like to have the program do and I can give you an example

I'm trying to add an action under THEN to run on /off and insteon scene.  Per the example in the manual on page 30:

Under action it shows:

INSTEON   set  FRONTDOOR   ON

where all items except "set" come from a pick list.

Only when I click "Action" the drop down list doesn't have  "INSTEON" as an item, only the items listed in my original message.  So how can I program the simple action under THEN of turning a scene on or off?

Phil

That appears to be correct.

You'll have different options depending on whether you select IF, THEN, or ELSE

The ISY user manual has a section on programming that you might find helpful.

If you're still stuck, then let me know what you'd like to have the program do and I can give you an example

To Create a scene:

Scenes are created under "Link Management", "New Scene"

To turn a scene on or off here's a program example::

If
        From    Sunset
        To      10:31:00PM (same day)

Then
        Set Scene 'Entry Hall Ceiling' 100%

Else

Set Scene 'Entry Hall Ceiling' Off

I got the rest of it, and have complicated programs ready to set scenes on or off.  I just couldn't figure out how to add a line to a then or else that turned a scene on or off.

I see that the latest manual I downloaded from the site and the actual programming interface/code are different here (not really a surprise once you know that).  It appears that things have actually expanded in capability from what is shown in the manual, but changed a bit in syntax in the process.   I now see that if you scroll down past all the devices (I have over 50 devices in this installation) the scenes do show at the end of the ACTION pick list for "Your Devices".  As you say, not intuitive, but once you know to look there quite functional.

Thanks a ton -- I wasn't going to find that for a long time!  A bit humbling for someone who has programmed for over 40 years in over 80 languages to be stuck on "how do I turn it on", but again, a normal part of being a rookie each time you enter new territory.  The help is very much appreciated.

To Create a scene:

Scenes are created under "Link Management", "New Scene"

To turn a scene on or off here's a program example::

If
        From    Sunset
        To      10:31:00PM (same day)

Then
        Set Scene 'Entry Hall Ceiling' 100%

Else

Set Scene 'Entry Hall Ceiling' Off

I got the rest of it, and have complicated programs ready to set scenes on or off.  I just couldn't figure out how to add a line to a then or else that turned a scene on or off.

I see that the latest manual I downloaded from the site and the actual programming interface/code are different here (not really a surprise once you know that).  It appears that things have actually expanded in capability from what is shown in the manual, but changed a bit in syntax in the process.   I now see that if you scroll down past all the devices (I have over 50 devices in this installation) the scenes do show at the end of the ACTION pick list for "Your Devices".  As you say, not intuitive, but once you know to look there quite functional.

Thanks a ton -- I wasn't going to find that for a long time!  A bit humbling for someone who has programmed for over 40 years in over 80 languages to be stuck on "how do I turn it on", but again, a normal part of being a rookie each time you enter new territory.  The help is very much appreciated.

Glad to hear you're squared away. starting out there's a bit of a learning curve. You might also want to take a look at the UDI Wiki,  http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Between this forum and the Wiki you should be able to find what ever you need. Enjoy

Archived