ISY can't control devices, but sees status

hi - I started having a new problem recently.  

I have ISY94i Pro. as part of troubleshooting I updated my firmware to latest 4.5.4;  I've been using my PLM since about Oct 2015.

the basic issue is that as of friday AM, my ISY can't control any devices, but it can see the status of a device when the status changes (for example if my motion sensor detects motion, I see the status change in my ISY admin console.  or if I turn on a light at the source or with a linked remote, I can see the status of that light change in the ISY console.  but if I query the device from the ISY console, it reports that it could not communicate with the device. 

I thought the PLM might be the issue, I already tried two new PLMs - both had a similar type of issue - I could not update the link table in the target device - I see the pending writes (to both battery powered and non-batery powered devices).  I could see the PLM links table getting updated when I did a restore PLM - so it seems the ISY can communicate with the PLM, but somehow, changes or queries do not get to the target device, as far as I can tell.  so I beleive the PLMs are ok - especially the new ones should be fine.

this setup has been working great for more than a year without issues and the last device I added was a few months ago - and all was well.  I've had filterlinc in place for my noisey devices, I've actually turned off my desktop and monitor, removed phone chargers, still having issues. no new electronic devices added recently. (so a side question, most of my devices are dual-band or wireless, and the PLM is dual band, so would noise on the house wiring still be an issue?).

I've looked at the event viewer in the ISY console, I have seen occasional errors, something of this sort, but sometimes it varies - but not clear to me what the root cause is.

Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:37 PM : [21 E9 2A 1  ] Memory : Write dbAddr=0x0032 [FE] cmd1=0x2E cmd2=0x00
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:37 PM : [iNST-TX-I2CS] 02 62 21 E9 2A 1F 2E 00 01 06 FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:46 PM : [iNST-TX-I2CS] 02 62 21 E9 2A 1F 2E 00 01 06 FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:55 PM : [iNST-TX-I2CS] 02 62 21 E9 2A 1F 2E 00 01 06 FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:59 PM : [21 E9 2A 1  ] Memory : Write dbAddr=0x0032 [FE] cmd1=0x2E cmd2=0x00 - Failed

at this point, I'm at a loss - I've tried everything I can think of, whether it makes sense or not (updated firmware, factory reset ISY and restored, I now have 3 PLMs which I beleive are functional.

any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated

thanks

minesh

I have ISY94i Pro. as part of troubleshooting I updated my firmware to latest 4.5.4;  I've been using my PLM since about Oct 2015.

the basic issue is that as of friday AM, my ISY can't control any devices, but it can see the status of a device when the status changes (for example if my motion sensor detects motion, I see the status change in my ISY admin console.  or if I turn on a light at the source or with a linked remote, I can see the status of that light change in the ISY console.  but if I query the device from the ISY console, it reports that it could not communicate with the device. 

I thought the PLM might be the issue, I already tried two new PLMs - both had a similar type of issue - I could not update the link table in the target device - I see the pending writes (to both battery powered and non-batery powered devices).  I could see the PLM links table getting updated when I did a restore PLM - so it seems the ISY can communicate with the PLM, but somehow, changes or queries do not get to the target device, as far as I can tell.  so I beleive the PLMs are ok - especially the new ones should be fine.

this setup has been working great for more than a year without issues and the last device I added was a few months ago - and all was well.  I've had filterlinc in place for my noisey devices, I've actually turned off my desktop and monitor, removed phone chargers, still having issues. no new electronic devices added recently. (so a side question, most of my devices are dual-band or wireless, and the PLM is dual band, so would noise on the house wiring still be an issue?).

I've looked at the event viewer in the ISY console, I have seen occasional errors, something of this sort, but sometimes it varies - but not clear to me what the root cause is.

Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:37 PM : [21 E9 2A 1  ] Memory : Write dbAddr=0x0032 [FE] cmd1=0x2E cmd2=0x00
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:37 PM : [iNST-TX-I2CS] 02 62 21 E9 2A 1F 2E 00 01 06 FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:46 PM : [iNST-TX-I2CS] 02 62 21 E9 2A 1F 2E 00 01 06 FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:55 PM : [iNST-TX-I2CS] 02 62 21 E9 2A 1F 2E 00 01 06 FE 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 CD
Sun 05/28/2017 06:53:59 PM : [21 E9 2A 1  ] Memory : Write dbAddr=0x0032 [FE] cmd1=0x2E cmd2=0x00 - Failed

at this point, I'm at a loss - I've tried everything I can think of, whether it makes sense or not (updated firmware, factory reset ISY and restored, I now have 3 PLMs which I beleive are functional.

any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated

thanks

minesh

Hello Minesh,

A couple of questions, Which lights are lit on the front of the ISY?

Did you do a delete modem at any time? ( if you didn't DON'T).

Is the ISY firmware and UI the same version?

Do you have a recent ISY backup, one that you did before the problems started?

Try removing power from both the ISY and the PLM, then power up the PLM, wait about 10 seconds then power up the ISY. Did that help?

Try doing a RESTORE DEVICE on one of the non battery operated devices that has pending writes. Did that resolve the issue for that device?

currently only the power light is on.

I've never deleted a modem, just restored 

then the problems started - it wasn't.  but now it is the same version 

my most recent back up before the problem was from a year ago (so I guess no).  but then I did backup this morning before I started trying to debugging anything - so what I backed up was what I had before this problem started.  not sure if that's good enough - or you think something changed recently (I haven't been making any changes recently - past couple of months)

Try removing power from both the ISY and the PLM, then power up the PLM, wait about 10 seconds then power up the ISY. Did that help?

I've done this many times, however, this did not help the problem.

Try doing a RESTORE DEVICE on one of the non battery operated devices that has pending writes. Did that resolve the issue for that device?

I've tried "restore device", also tried "write updates to device" (after doing a PLM restore).   because all the updates to device were failing it took a very long time so I disabled automatics updates.

<snipped>

Welcome to the forums!

I believe you gave your model incorrectly. The ISY994xx is the most recent, and the ISY99xx is an older model. Not to be picky, but the ISY99 could not take firmware past v3.???? I think we knew what you meant based on your other data.

Welcome to the forums!

I believe you gave your model incorrectly. The ISY94xxx is the most recent, and the ISY99xxx is an older model. Not to be picky, but the ISY99 could not take firmware past v3.???? I think we knew what you meant based n your other data.

thanks ... just to be clear (since I'm a bit confused by your statement) - looking at my "about" menu -  I have "ISY 994i/IR Pro (1110) - OpenADR (21010)".   hopefully this is what you thought I meant :)  

thanks ... just to be clear (since I'm a bit confused by your statement) - looking at my "about" menu -  I have "ISY 994i/IR Pro (1110) - OpenADR (21010)".   hopefully this is what you thought I meant :)

In your original post. It looks like you mistype the model number as ISY94i.

Could have been an ISY99i or the present ISY994i. Though the firmware version you posted would definitely be an ISY994i.

currently only the power light is on.

I've never deleted a modem, just restored 

then the problems started - it wasn't.  but now it is the same version 

my most recent back up before the problem was from a year ago (so I guess no).  but then I did backup this morning before I started trying to debugging anything - so what I backed up was what I had before this problem started.  not sure if that's good enough - or you think something changed recently (I haven't been making any changes recently - past couple of months)

I've done this many times, however, this did not help the problem.

I've tried "restore device", also tried "write updates to device" (after doing a PLM restore).   because all the updates to device were failing it took a very long time so I disabled automatics updates.

About how many Insteon devices are in your system?

Do a PLM link count, what does the count show?

Do a help about in the admin console, does the firmware and UI both show 4.5.4?

About how many Insteon devices are in your system?

Do a PLM link count, what does the count show?

Do a help about in the admin console, does the firmware and UI both show 4.5.4?

I have ~50 devices.  my PLM shows 131 links.  and the the help about shows both UI and FW are using 4.5.4.

I have ~50 devices.  my PLM shows 131 links.  and the the help about shows both UI and FW are using 4.5.4.

Is your PLM plugged directly into an outlet and not a power strip or UPS?

What's the 4 digit date code and version number of your PLM?

You may be at the beginning of a PLM failure.

Is your PLM plugged directly into an outlet and not a power strip or UPS?

What's the 4 digit date code and version number of your PLM?

You may be at the beginning of a PLM failure.

yes, PLM is directly plugged into the wall.  my PLM version when the issue started was v2.1 1534.   as mentioned I've purchased 2 new PLMs this weekend, rev 2.3 4216.    currently anew PLM is in use.  I've tried both new ones, neither has solved the issue (with same problems).  unfortunately, after I do a restore PLM with either of the new PLMs, the updates are never making it to the devices.  so they are still linked to the old PLM.   I have automatic updates to device turned off, since each one returns and error and takes a long time to go through each of the non-battery powered devices. so after I restore the PLM, I see the writes pending to update the device. then I try to manually update any non-battery powered device, but the update does not complete. 

this the common issue for all of the PLMs - if I try to do any operation from the ISY admin console to a  device, no luck (queries, writes, restore device, read links from device).  the only difference in behavior for any of the 3 PLMs is with my original PLM, the devices are still linked to it, so if the status of the device changes, I can see that in my ISY console (eg motion sensor detects motion, or if I manually turn on a light switch at the source or with my remote).  

so assuming the old PLM is failing, I still seem to be having similar issues with the new PLMs.  so I can't imaging same failure mode on 2 new PLMs.

yes, PLM is directly plugged into the wall.  my PLM version when the issue started was v2.1 1534.   as mentioned I've purchased 2 new PLMs this weekend, rev 2.3 4216.    currently anew PLM is in use.  I've tried both new ones, neither has solved the issue (with same problems).  unfortunately, after I do a restore PLM with either of the new PLMs, the updates are never making it to the devices.  so they are still linked to the old PLM.   I have automatic updates to device turned off, since each one returns and error and takes a long time to go through each of the non-battery powered devices. so after I restore the PLM, I see the writes pending to update the device. then I try to manually update any non-battery powered device, but the update does not complete. 

this the common issue for all of the PLMs - if I try to do any operation from the ISY admin console to a  device, no luck (queries, writes, restore device, read links from device).  the only difference in behavior for any of the 3 PLMs is with my original PLM, the devices are still linked to it, so if the status of the device changes, I can see that in my ISY console (eg motion sensor detects motion, or if I manually turn on a light switch at the source or with my remote).  

so assuming the old PLM is failing, I still seem to be having similar issues with the new PLMs.  so I can't imaging same failure mode on 2 new PLMs.

If your using a new PLM then you probably have something else amiss, I think your best bet is to submit a request for support from UDI. They're very good at responding.

Submit a Ticket:          http://www.universal-devices.com/contact-support

Archived