Cannot Determine Insteon Engine, time for a new PLM?

Occasionally I get a "Cannot determine Insteon engine" when trying to connect a new device via my ISY994i. Normally it just means try again.

Not this time. This is a 2477D Dual Mode Switchlinc, brand new in the box, and won't connect, period, giving that error.

My home has has over 100 devices, chronic communication issues with delays, occasional failure of switches to communicate requiring another press, and a need to have my ISY994i repeat programs, that sort of thing. Who knows, maybe it will help with some reliability issues? I've been hoping, as Switchlincs die and are replaced with dual mode devices that things will improve.

Anyway, before I order another 2477D because I may have a bum unit, is it worth trying a new PLM to fix this problem? Mine is the original one I started with, 2412S Rev 3.1, UI says v85. From what I have seen, upgrading the PLM may make some other reliability issues improve.

Mitch

The 2412S is an older device that's been discontinued years ago. But don't rush out and buy a new one without running some tests.First and foremost, do your firmware and UI match? If not, then that's a very possible cause. If both are the same version, then pick a relatively quiet time, minimal Insteon activity-none is best.

Select Tools > Diagnostics > Show PLM Links Table. Run the test 3 or 4 times. What's the result? Hint: a very low number makes the PLM suspect. A reasonably high value points to a different cause. Here's a link to get you started.

The 2412S is an older device that's been discontinued years ago. But don't rush out and buy a new one without running some tests.First and foremost, do your firmware and UI match? If not, then that's a very possible cause. If both are the same version, then pick a relatively quiet time, minimal Insteon activity-none is best.

Select Tools > Diagnostics > Show PLM Links Table. Run the test 3 or 4 times. What's the result? Hint: a very low number makes the PLM suspect. A reasonably high value points to a different cause. Here's a link to get you started.

Yes, both are 4.5.4.  I went to that item, given the option buttons "Count" and "Start". "Start" does nothing that I can see. "Count" generates a window underneath which says Count 0.

I did a factory reset of the PLM, did that foul things up as far as this test goes?

Mitch

Yes a Factory Reset of a PLM. Removes all the links in the link database and sets all the options to default.

A factory reset PLM will have no links to count. So 0 would be the correct count.

Have you tried a Restore PLM function? That would restore the PLM to the known links for the ISY known devices.

Do you know the 2412S hardware revision and firmware?

Early 2412S PLMs only had a 417 link database.

Its File->Restore modem

This is a tricky topic. The PLM is "dumb"; it only knows about the links that are loaded into it. The ISY is a management device for the Insteon network and is there for the system of record... it has your layout of the insteon network programmed into it by the Admin Console.

So if you have a recent backup that has a record of your Insteon network functioning properly, restore that backup, and then perform and Restore modem from there... it will reprogram the dumb PLM to the last good version of your Insteon network. It might require you to visit RF devices and put them in linking mode. You may have to do it several times, or use Right Click -> Restore Device on individual device with a green 1010 icon in front of them.

There is sometimes a caveat to this, where the modem became corrupt and affected the ISY's view of the Insteon network... and that a corrupt view of the network was backed up. Lets assume that's not a problem for now, which is usually the case, and restore your last good backup and restore modem.

Paul

Archived