FYI - Lamplinc Response to Scene Test

The following is intended to help those who may find that their Lamplincs fail the new "Scene Test" diagnostic included in the ISY V2.7.0 release.

First, allow me to once again express my thanks to the UDI team. The Scene Test diagnostic is a stroke of genius. By watching for the 1 hop scene responses you can quickly track down "weak" areas in your Insteon Network.

After fixing a number of problems due to dimmer friendly CFLs (not) and a rogue Vacuum (brushes dying) I found 2 Lamplincs that stubbornly refused to respond to Scene Tests.

One of these devices is a Icon Lamplinc, one is a V2 Lamplinc. Very different date codes and versions. Both operate fine (on/off) and respond properly to queries.

I have both devices programmed with X10 addresses (local control enabled). This allows my better half to turn one lamp on and activate to lamp across the room with X10.

With the X10/local control enabled I get the following scene failure when the attached loads are turned off.

Scene Test Failure: Local Control Enabled/X10 Address B3

LocalControl_NoLoad.JPG

Feeling challenged, I began employing a rigorous, documented approach to the problem and arrived at the root cause of the anomaly. Using the technical jargon that I'm accustomed to, I backed into a solution. I finally turned on the attached load for my FamilyRoom Lamplinc.

Scene Test: One Load Turned On

LocalControl_1Load.JPG

From the above, it appears that when local load sensing is enabled, you need to have an attached load to allow the lamplinc to pass the scene test.

The tripping point here is: Local Load Sensing is Enabled by Default (Factory Reset)

Scene Test Failure: Factory Reset W/Attached Load Off

Factory_Reset.JPG

So, what's the solution to this problem? If you don't need X10 addresses or local load sensing - disable it manually. Place the Lamplinc in linking mode and send A1 Off, A1 Off, A1 Off.

If you need a X10 address or local load sensing (as I do) you're stuck. The lamplinc will not pass a scene test when the attached load is off. Not a huge problem, unless you spend and hour troubleshooting. Don't let this happen to you!

Scene Test Pass: Local Control Disabled/No Load Attached

LocalControlDisabled_NoLoad.JPG

That IS something to be aware of! Thanks for the great write up.

I have a SwitchLinc Dimmer controlling a light that also has a photo-cell. When I perform the Scene Test it always displays as failed. I'll have to try it tonight.

Thank you,

Rand

Rand,

Your photo-cell connected to the Dimmer may be different. Photo-cells can behave badly when connected to a dimmer (similar to my nasty "dimmer friendly" CFLs).

I found that my dimmable CFL's would cause my Switchlinc dimmers to act up when they were dimmed below 30%. Under these conditions the CFL is backfeeding ~14 volt P-P spikes into the line. My SWL dimmers will typically function (on/off/query) but will not respond to the "scene test". A simple air gap corrects the issue, and the units then pass the scene test.

So much for dimmable CFL's. I guess I'll wait for the higher wattage Cold Cathode units.

That IS something to be aware of! Thanks for the great write up.

I have a SwitchLinc Dimmer controlling a light that also has a photo-cell. When I perform the Scene Test it always displays as failed. I'll have to try it tonight.

Thank you,

Rand

Rand,

Your photo-cell connected to the Dimmer may be different. Photo-cells can behave badly when connected to a dimmer (similar to my nasty "dimmer friendly" CFLs).

I found that my dimmable CFL's would cause my Switchlinc dimmers to act up when they were dimmed below 30%. Under these conditions the CFL is backfeeding ~14 volt P-P spikes into the line. My SWL dimmers will typically function (on/off/query) but will not respond to the "scene test". A simple air gap corrects the issue, and the units then pass the scene test.

So much for dimmable CFL's. I guess I'll wait for the higher wattage Cold Cathode units.

IM,

Well this may be a 'good' photocell as it has been working with the dimmer for about two years. I don't usually dim below 66% with this light though.

BTW, I didn't forget about testing the new LampLincs for you, hopefully this week. It's been rather busy here lately.

Rand

Archived