Moved 994i & PLM

slpelts

I moved my 994i and PLM to new room in at home.  now it can't communicate with some devices.  one thing in specific the PLM is much closer to now but no go.

Therm is 2441V Insteon Therm Adapter V.00

I so rarely have problems I have to always ask when something comes up.

suggestions?

I moved my 994i and PLM to new room in at home.  now it can't communicate with some devices.  one thing in specific the PLM is much closer to now but no go.

Therm is 2441V Insteon Therm Adapter V.00

I so rarely have problems I have to always ask when something comes up.

suggestions?

The power line is divided into two legs. The PLM signal need to have access to both legs in order for devices on the leg opposite from the PLM to work.  You may have to add two range extenders, one on each side of the leg, in order to bridge the Insteon signals.

It's also possible that there is signal interference on the leg the PLM is currently plugged into. 

How many dual band devices do you have? Are you currently using any range extenders or dual band plug in devices such as on/off modules?

hmmmm  I am familiar with the two legs for the A/C.  Just confused that it was working before w/o issue.  

Dual Band Devices...  don't know that I have any.  most everything is a wall switch

no Range Extenders

I can try to use extension cord to run PLM into a different wall socket but who knows where I will find that

what is THE best solution?  dual band device or range extenders

When you moved it to a different location. You changed things both power line and RF.

You may have the PLM on a different circuit. One with noise makers or signal absobers.

If the PLM is now on the other half of the house wiring. The power line signals may now have an issue getting to where they use to. Dual Band modules along with the Range Extenders can act as coupling between the incoming power lines.

How new are your switches? Most presently sold Insteon Modules are Dual Band.

The 2441V is strictly an Insteon RF device. So it has to be in RF range of the PLM or another Dual Band Module to do the Insteon RF communications.

When you moved it to a different location. You changed things both power line and RF.

You may have the PLM on a different circuit. One with noise makers or signal absobers.

If the PLM is now on the other half of the house wiring. The power line signals may now have an issue getting to where they use to. Dual Band modules along with the Range Extenders can act as coupling between the incoming power lines.

How new are your switches? Most presently sold Insteon Modules are Dual Band.

The 2441V is strictly an Insteon RF device. So it has to be in RF range of the PLM or another Dual Band Module to do the Insteon RF communications.

I understand the different circuit.  but the therm is now CLOSER to the PLM which really baffles  me and is really line of sight. total distance maybe 8 feet.

switches vary from a few years to new.  I have replaced more of the KPL over time than anything because they go bad

I understand the different circuit.  but the therm is now CLOSER to the PLM which really baffles  me and is really line of sight. total distance maybe 8 feet.

switches vary from a few years to new.  I have replaced more of the KPL over time than anything because they go bad

If the Thermostat is showing firmware v.00 in the ISY then it's possible that the ISY and the thermostat aren't properly coupled. Try doing a diagnostics / compare link table on the thermostat. 

You can also try a restore device on the thermostat

If the Thermostat is showing firmware v.00 in the ISY then it's possible that the ISY and the thermostat aren't properly coupled. Try doing a diagnostics / compare link table on the thermostat. 

You can also try a restore device on the thermostat

But if it has been working up till now should that be an issue. All I did was move the PLM from one room to another. I realize that doing that can complicate things but I wouldn't think it would be a coupling issue????

But if it has been working up till now should that be an issue. All I did was move the PLM from one room to another. I realize that doing that can complicate things but I wouldn't think it would be a coupling issue????

Do you have any newer dual band Insteon modules such a an on/off module, or a dual band lamplinc module that you could move around in an attempt to improve the Insteon signal?

As Techman suggested (post #2), something on the powerline may be the culprit. A sure test it to use a long extension cord to power the PLM from the original outlet.

Even closer. RF signals can be strange,

If the new location has any metal in the wall or the RF paths no longer are in line with each other. Things may not work as well.

Dual Band Switches in a metal electrical box. Can have their RF distance and communications direction limited by the metal. Does not help that the Insteon RF antennas are in the BACK of the module. Closest to back back of a metal electrical box.

So I am guessing I should get one of these?  

Insteon 2992-222 Range Extender

No.

Just get another dual band module and find a use for it half way between large spans between Insteon devices. I use one for utility room (where all the water is)  backup heat with a portable heater. Probably never cut in but it works as a signal repeater.

This may  increase your hop counts and decrease the hops left count  but hop counts are not an indication of signal quality, only the system stabilty strength.  Irregularity of hops left count indicates flakey comm signals.

Some devices send out signals with the Max Hops count = 1, and are received with Hops Left = 0. This can be  be a perfect signal.

Archived