Random Function

C Martin

Is this a good example of a "Timed Security" type of program?

Security GoodNite Pgm

If

Time is 11:00:00PM

Then

Wait 20 minutes (Random)

Set Scene 'Good Nite Scene' On

Finally

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I assume that the above program will trigger the "Good Nite Scene" somewhere between 11:00 PM and 11:20 PM.

The idea is to get that "Lived In" random setting for security reasons.

I could also see this being used with a "Sunset" trigger and an Offset setting.

Security Sunset Pgm

If

Time is Sunset - 15 minutes

Then

Wait 20 minutes (Random)

Set Scene 'Sunset Scene' On

Finally

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This should then trigger the Sunet Scene between 15 Minutes before Sunset and 5 Minutes after Sunset.

Great! The time stamps each day should be different showing the random part is working. The sunset one will be nice because the sunset is always changing and with it random it will be more natural. Hard part is on the days it’s cloudy you can be left in the dark and will have to do the unthinkable and push a button. :shock:

Can you do a favor for me; edit your first post a put the two programs in code boxes, makes it easier to read. Thanks.

I assume that the above program will trigger the "Good Nite Scene" somewhere between 11:00 PM and 11:20 PM.

I thought that the 'random' selection would take the time you set (in this case 20 minutes) and do a +/- on it? But there is no setting for the +/-.

The scenario that you mention is one way for this to work, but it wouldn't work for something where you say: If button A is pressed, wait 20 minutes (random), then turn on a light.

What is the right answer?

I have to believe the Random is from start time to +X minutes. So if you want X/2 minutes before until X/2 minutes after set the start time X/2 minutes before and use a Random X.

Personally, most of our lights are on the same schedule whether we are home or away. I suppose controlling some lights randomly might confuse some burglars, but I can't imagine anyone spending days analyzing our lights before breaking and entering. I wish I could have that problem.

I just know never turn all the lights off. We love the dimmers because some lights are always on enough to find our way at night.

Better than Random:

Our only at home child is now 21, some lights change anytime of day or night. Random 1440 :lol:

Rand

I have two boys; 2 year old and a 4 year old, the four year old likes to climb up on a chair that he has pulled over to the keypadlinc and make my whole house (1400 sq foot home with 26 devices), go on, then off, then on, then off, then on, then off, the neighbors must wonder about us at times. And the two year old will just giggle and giggle. I know its just a matter of time before they both are at each end of the house playing lighting wars.

Archived