irrigation

TheWabit

The ezflora is an 8 zone  insteon/isy compatible irrigation controller from SmartenIT, who makes the EZxxx branded products. Buy it at smarthome or amazon.

It installs like and other insteon device. If you have more than 8 zones, buy another (and another).  If you have a pump or master valve on your system, zone 8 is sacrificed for that capability.. so only 7 zones... and that applies to each controller if you have more than 1. Example, I used to have 2 ezfloras. I have mastervalves... I could only have 14 zones with 2 controllers.

After you hook it up and wire it, you have to write ISY programs for your sprinkler schedules, or read a rain sesnor, etc.  

The option extra you can choose is from UDI is the irrigation module. It helps determine how much water is needed for each zone. In old school controllers, the zone time is worst case... how long do I need to water each zone on the hottest day of the season.  But here in SE Michigan this time of year, Its about half of that time, and half of the water. The Irrigation module uses the industry accepted calculations to increase/decrease zone times based on forecast, heat, wind, sun brightness to figure out how much water that you have. I think you need the climate module too to use it, but you'll want to look at UDIs site. I'm not 100% sure.

Paul

Another option is the Rainmachine. I have that now. It connects to my wifi, downloads the weather and does the (evapotranspiration) calculations all on its own. You can set up schedules pretty easily on its touch screen, or sit at a phone or computer and program it.

It can be coupled to the ISY, but you need V5 FW and Nodelink and a computer to run Nodelink. I do this, but the rainmachine is standalone and can handle things on its own. I like to kick a few rainmachine programs off from the ISY and also add its notifications in with the rest of mine.

So the rainmachine is another option.

Paul 

Rainmachine is also working on an Ethernet option (swap out USB WiFi stick and plug in USB Ethernet adapter) for those hardwire junkies like me.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Do say more. My sprinkler wire pulls all come into the house encased with the electrical panel, furnace and duct work. Its always worked on wifi, but I have an ET pull down there for my ISY, and always wished I could use that other USB port for an ET controller. Can you provide the link to the adapter you've used?

Paul

Do say more. My sprinkler wire pulls all come into the house encased with the electrical panel, furnace and duct work. Its always worked on wifi, but I have an ET pull down there for my ISY, and always wished I could use that other USB port for an ET controller. Can you provide the link to the adapter you've used?

Paul

It's not quite ready yet but you can track the progress here:

https://support.rainmachine.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115005924527-Ethernet

If you can, also voice your support for an Ethernet option in that thread.

It's not quite ready yet but you can track the progress here:

https://support.rainmachine.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115005924527-Ethernet

If you can, also voice your support for an Ethernet option in that thread.

Bueno.  I just went in and did that.

It shouldn't be that much surgery, its Android OS under the hood, which means its linux under the hood. Have a "bake off" of a few top contender USB NICs and push the driver.

I'm really happy with mine and the support has been great, never more than a few hours for them to answer a question.

Thank you for the info & link

Paul

The ezflora is an 8 zone insteon/isy compatible irrigation controller from SmartenIT, who makes the EZxxx branded products. Buy it at smarthome or amazon.

It installs like and other insteon device. If you have more than 8 zones, buy another (and another). If you have a pump or master valve on your system, zone 8 is sacrificed for that capability.. so only 7 zones... and that applies to each controller if you have more than 1. Example, I used to have 2 ezfloras. I have mastervalves... I could only have 14 zones with 2 controllers.

After you hook it up and wire it, you have to write ISY programs for your sprinkler schedules, or read a rain sesnor, etc.

The option extra you can choose is from UDI is the irrigation module. It helps determine how much water is needed for each zone. In old school controllers, the zone time is worst case... how long do I need to water each zone on the hottest day of the season. But here in SE Michigan this time of year, Its about half of that time, and half of the water. The Irrigation module uses the industry accepted calculations to increase/decrease zone times based on forecast, heat, wind, sun brightness to figure out how much water that you have. I think you need the climate module too to use it, but you'll want to look at UDIs site. I'm not 100% sure.

Paul

I have the irrigation and climate modulesI followed the Wiki during setup, and was not aware that it automatically adjusts the sprinkler zone times; only that it decides whether or not to irrigate based upon EvTO and the parameters set by the user. Would you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the irrigation and climate modulesI followed the Wiki during setup, and was not aware that it automatically adjusts the sprinkler zone times; only that it decides whether or not to irrigate based upon EvTO and the parameters set by the user. Would you please elaborate?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'r right, I did overstate what comes from the module vs what is done with ISY programs. The IM  gives you the irrigation requirement value and deficit, you have to translate that into zone runtimes with your programs, if you choose to use it that way.

Paul

Archived