iOS 11 and MobiLinc

InsteonNut

Hi Folks,

FYI: There's a known bug in iOS 11 that prevents the top navigation bar in MobiLinc and select other apps to render on the iPhone and in pop-up menus on the iPad. We filed a bug report with Apple back in July and we're in contact with their dev team on this issue. 

The current status is that Apple is aware of the bug in iOS 11 and are investigating it. They have not committed to a timeline or could tell us when it would be fixed. We've asked for anything they can provide as a workaround solution and are waiting to hear back from them. 

It is our hope that this will be fixed by the time iOS 11 is released to the public officially later in September, but wanted to give everyone a heads up that if you update to the public beta of MobiLinc or later to the official release, currently there is a serious bug in iOS 11.

I will update this post as I find out more information or can share what our path forward is to work around this issue.

Wes

UPDATE: 9-26-2017: Workaround has been identified and is undergoing testing. Targeting tomorrow to submit update to Apple.

UPDATE: 9-29-2017: Pro/OML/HD updates have been approved. Will roll out over the next 24 hours.

Thanks Quietminded, where it shows up on the iPad is if you tap the gear or anything that causes a pop-up to appear. If there are buttons on that popup you would normally see like the "save" button for Resource Manager, these are unaccessible. It's minor on the iPad, but major on the iPhone.

Wes

Hi wwat,

We're looking at all our options in case this isn't fixed when iOS 11 is released and in that one example, sure. But without a nav bar, the issue is much bigger than just moving functionally around.  Plus moving functionally isn't really possible in most of the navigation cases without totally redesigning the app to not use the navigation concept.

Wes

bigDave,

We've updated Apple's bug report with the GM information. Apple acknowledges this is a bug in iOS 11 and is still looking into a fix. This bug is extremely frustrating since Apple broke their own OS for some apps and went ahead with a release anyways. We're looking into if the latest Xcode 9 will offer any workarounds as well as any other options to address this. But just so you are aware, we won't have any kind of workaround in place (if it's even possible without Apple fixing this major bug) until after iOS 11 is released to the public on the 19th. 

Scottmichaelj,

This has been an internal topic we've been discussing and planning for and while I don't have anything to announce today, this is something that's really important to us to get right to give MobiLinc a needed refreshed look.

Wes

The odd thing about this bug is that on my iPhone, it ONLY impacts Mobilinc! 

For me, it renders Mobilinc almost completely useless.   I have about 15 items on the dashboard that do still work. More often I tend to use other menu's that can no longer be accessed.   Mobilinc is a VERY frequently used app (15 times a day minimum) on my phone.  

Of about 200 other apps installed, most of which use Navigation, NO OTHER app seems to be effected.   I sat opening each and every installed app last night looking for this mysterious "navigation bug", I could not find even one other app that was impacted.  So it seems that somewhere the rest of the world found a workaround.  And since none of the big apps like Twitter or even the medium size apps like Stack Exchange are impacted I doubt seriously that Apple is looking very hard for this bug.   (granted most of the other 200 apps installed are never used, I still opened each and every one of them anyway in search of this HORRIBLE BUG that Apple created.)

Fortunately, I can still use my old iPhone with mobilinc and iOS10, but now i have to carry 2 phones around and try to remember which to use at which moment.

Yup, I upgraded to ios11 public release today and that has rendered MobiLinc totally useless on my iPhone SE.  I had nothing on my dashboard, so the only thing visible when I open MobiLinc is the "Devices, Scenes, and Programs selected for the Dashboard will appear here" message.  No other text or controls of any sort are visible.

Yup, I upgraded to ios11 public release today and that has rendered MobiLinc totally useless on my iPhone SE. I had nothing on my dashboard, so the only thing visible when I open MobiLinc is the "Devices, Scenes, and Programs selected for the Dashboard will appear here" message. No other text or controls of any sort are visible.

Glad I'm seeing this. I wonder what % of app users follow this forum or will get the heads up another way. As a user, non-developer from the bleachers it just seems this shouldn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I can still swipe right on the dashboard to get to the sections on the left. There’s a clearly corrupt icon in the top left, but it doesn’t stop me from using the app. Does that not work for you guys?

Thanks for that!  That makes it true that Mobilinc isn't as broken as I've thought for 2 days.  It should be noted tho that at the top of the screen (about the top 1" on my phone) where the defective menu icon shows, you can NOT swipe right-- that's a dead zone.   However if you move down below the top inch the screen can be swiped right to reveal the menu.  (a shortcut that I never knew existed, I've always pressed the menu icon.)

It's still a "bug" I can't quite figure out, because other apps that seem to use the same type of menu navigation are not impacted at all.  I bet apple won't be working very hard on this, because mobilink seems to the the only app with a problem.  (now in addition to my phone I know of 4 other users have upgraded ios, and no one is seeing this menu bug in any of the apps they have loaded.

Thanks for that! That makes it true that Mobilinc isn't as broken as I've thought for 2 days. It should be noted tho that at the top of the screen (about the top 1" on my phone) where the defective menu icon shows, you can NOT swipe right-- that's a dead zone. However if you move down below the top inch the screen can be swiped right to reveal the menu. (a shortcut that I never knew existed, I've always pressed the menu icon.)

It's still a "bug" I can't quite figure out, because other apps that seem to use the same type of menu navigation are not impacted at all. I bet apple won't be working very hard on this, because mobilink seems to the the only app with a problem. (now in addition to my phone I know of 4 other users have upgraded ios, and no one is seeing this menu bug in any of the apps they have loaded.

I’m glad that it works for you. I did notice that I can’t save changes (such as adding items to the dashboard), I can only go back to the section list and anything that I did reverts back. Clearly a problem, but at least you can use devices that are already configured.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I can still swipe right on the dashboard to get to the sections on the left. There’s a clearly corrupt icon in the top left, but it doesn’t stop me from using the app. Does that not work for you guys?

Yes, thanks for this!  I hadn't realized the swipe gesture works here, and it does allow the app to be used okay.  Swipe does seem to be an increasingly useful "hidden" action, so I'll try to remember to try this more.

Yea it's really not much of an improvement now that I've tried using for a few minutes:

* Can't get to variables

* Once clicked into a device or scene there is no way "back" except to force quit and restart.

Hmm.. I can get into variables just fine, and I can always swipe right to get back to the section list to go somewhere else. I can’t technically go back up the menu tree, but I don’t have to force quit and restart.

I’m using an iPhone 6s Plus. Perhaps there’s a relationship with screen size?

Mines an iPhone 7 and we are definitely having a different experience (i suspect screen size does play a role).

I can only swipe right when the dashboard is showing.

Choosing "Programs" omits the block at the top of screen where you can choose between Programs, Integer or state vars.

Hope this doesn't stay broken for long, Mobilinc is probably my most used app in terms of number of times per day accessed.  (if we count "total time used" others apps will win, but "number of times per day accessed" hands down Mobilinc.is the winner.) 

I am on an iPhone 7 plus and sometimes the tabs in programs are available and sometimes they aren't. I found that if I click into programs and the variables bar isn't at the top, then I just swipe right, press programs again and the bar reappears. 

Also, my Today View widget for Mobilinc only works half the time. The other half of the time it fails to load.

Lots of issues with this iOS update!!

In the meantime, I downloaded eKeypad ISY and Alarm just to have a solution that works for the meantime but I don't like how that app functions at all. It is terrible. I am hoping Wes can resolve these problems soon!!!

Wish I would have seen this post prior to purchasing MobiLinc yesterday. Went to the MobiLinc site today hoping to find some Information / support. The site is down, rendering a pageok only. Pretty underwhelming experience so far. Add ons are also broken in the app. Overall the choice of good user interfaces for the isy is meh.

Wish I would have seen this post prior to purchasing MobiLinc yesterday. Went to the MobiLinc site today hoping to find some Information / support. The site is down, rendering a pageok only. Pretty underwhelming experience so far. Add ons are also broken in the app. Overall the choice of good user interfaces for the isy is meh.

Generally mobilink works rock solid, and generally support is decent. 

The real problem in this case is that Wes appears to be on vacation.  as evidenced by the first line of the auto-reply from emailing "support@mobilinc.com"

While we respond to all emails usually in less than 24 hours, I wanted to let you know that we'll have limited access to email from September 9th-26th and to expect a delay for support during this timeframe.

Nothing wrong with vacation, everybody does and needs to.  

The current situation tho has been fairly predictable since July apparently.  The problem is the "apple bug" that Wes assumed would get fixed before iOS 11 became public, appears to have much less scope and impact to the rest of the world.

davemn918,

Thanks for the heads up on this. The site provider did a "seamless" update to the DoS protect product. Needless to say, it was not. They are looking at it. Also needless to say, I did not request any changes to the site while away from the office. There's just never a good time for a vacation.

I appreciate everyones patience on the navigation bar issue. I suspect the root cause is due to this code dating back to iOS 3 when it was initially built and has been stable for 8 years. Why, Apple would have broken that, is beyond me. There are other apps impacted by this. My guess also is apps that were initially built during those early iOS years that are still around like we are are also impacted as evident in the bug report from Apple.

I have some ideas about what to look at when I get back to the office and can really investigate this (and hopefully push a fix if I'm able without an Apple workaround) early next week. I really, truly do appreciate all your patience and support. This has been REALLY frustrating for me personally.

Wes

Archived