What would cause this issue all of a sudden

johnjces

In STFing, I found a bit of info regarding my "issue". That is, all of my scenes are working perfectly. ISY controls everything just fine, no problems. All of a sudden today I had four (4) switchlincs, 2 dimmers, 2 on-off, flash red after switching them on manually. I checked all members of the scene visually and all was in a state that they should be.

I did a device compare and there were no errors but several duplicates, ignored. I saw no issues other than the duplicates.

In any event, I did a device restore on each switch and the red LED blinking stopped when any of them were switched on manually.

Another post stated error message telling you it did not receive a signal confirmation from one of the linked responders to the scene.

Seems to make sense, but then why would a restore fix the blinky red problem? And have had no issues before and other Insteon switchs in the same box work as expected with no red LED problems.

Any insight as to what caused this minor issue?

I did put the ISY on a new UPS and didn't start up the PLM first before the ISY, but that is about the only thing that "changed" or was done differently.

Thanks for the thoughts!

John

What you read is correct, a blinking red LED indicates that one or more responders in the scene did not ACK the signal. Without seeing the comparison it's not possible to comment on what may have been wrong, but a restore performed a correction.

Two things, first you should whenever possible power up the PLM before the ISY and second placing the PLM on a UPS effectively makes the PLM a singe-band RF device only.

If the new UPS is on the same circuit as the PLM.

Its AC power line conditioner and filter. Maybe absorbing the PLMs power line signals and effecting communications.

I have my APC UPS on a FilterLinc with the PLM in the front unfiltered pass through outlet on the front cover.

@ oberkc and Brian H,

Great things to check out if it happens again. The restore fixed the issues so I just have to wait and see if it does it again then play around a bit. And yes, the PLM is on the same circuit as the UPS but I have a lot of dual band devices within 20 feet of one another so "theoretically" the RF should be getting passed. We will see.

Thanks!

John

@ oberkc and Brian H,

Great things to check out if it happens again. The restore fixed the issues so I just have to wait and see if it does it again then play around a bit. And yes, the PLM is on the same circuit as the UPS but I have a lot of dual band devices within 20 feet of one another so "theoretically" the RF should be getting passed. We will see.

Thanks!

John

My experience is much based on single-band devices, so it may not be as important as it once was, but I filter all UPS and surge suppressors as a mater of course.

Archived