2443-222 Micro On/Off Programming

shergenr

With these micro switches what is the purpose of using a scene since they are simply on or simply off?  My program directly references the device and turns them on and off, I am not using a scene is this okay or dies  it introduce problems?

I have noticed that when a device fails to turn on (at sunset) with the program , if I manually use the switch it doesn't  respond to the turn off program at 1130pm - is this by design or is this likely because there has been some communication error to that device that is still in effect?

Finally, my simple programs are inside a folder that is enabled to run from 15 minutes before sunset to 11:45 pm.  I have a lights on program and a lights off program.  When someone comes and flips the swtich by error, is there a way to get the program to read the status of the switch and run the program again?  Is this a use for query or should I be trapping the event of toggling the switch and then running a program to turn the lights back on after say 10 minutes?  

Scenes are used when more than one Insteon device is involved. Programs can be used, but the have an inherent delay and devices respond sequentially. Scenes are quicker and devices respond simultaneously. But a condition, such as scheduling requires a program. The program can control a scene or individual devices.

Post your program of concern. Right click on the program name and select Copy to Clipboard.

Three programs:  OutdoorLights folder to frame up the time frame.... ,OutLghtDlyOn, OutLightDlyOff

OutdoorLights - [iD 0003][Parent 0001]

Folder Conditions for 'OutdoorLights'

If

From    Sunset  - 17 minutes

To      11:30:00PM (same day)

Then

Allow the programs in this folder to run.

OutLghtDlyOn - [iD 0004][Parent 0003]

If

From    Sunset  - 15 minutes

To      11:20:00PM (same day)

Then

Set 'Front Porch' On

Set 'driveway' On

Set 'Carport' On

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

OutLghtDlyOff - [iD 0005][Parent 0003]

If

Time is 11:28:00PM

Then

Set 'driveway' Off

Set 'Front Porch' Off

Set 'Carport' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

So, your saying that I could simply create a scene, e.g,, OutLightScene, place all three devices in it and turn them on and off via the scene?

Stu are you saying that I might be causing collisions by using the sequential set on's and off's?

Yes, you can create one scene with all three devices as responders and control that scene. No, controlling the separate devices is not causing collisions. But one program can turn the lights both on and off.

Here's an example:

If
        From    Sunset  - 15 minutes
        To      11:28:00PM (same day)

Then
        Set 'scene_name' On

Else
        Set 'scene_name' Off

No folder condition is required.

My program directly references the device and turns them on and off, I am not using a scene is this okay or dies  it introduce problems?

I do not believe that this would cause your program not to work, or your device to fail to respond.  While a scene may offer other advantages, I don't see this as the casue of your problems.

I have noticed that when a device fails to turn on (at sunset) with the program , if I manually use the switch it doesn't  respond to the turn off program at 1130pm - is this by design or is this likely because there has been some communication error to that device that is still in effect?

I have noticed that when a device fails to turn on (at sunset) with the program , if I manually use the switch it doesn't  respond to the turn off program at 1130pm - is this by design or is this likely because there has been some communication error to that device that is still in effect?​

I am unware of any condition where this behavior is normal or expected.  I would have to refresh my memory, however, on the various settings of the micro-module.  Perhaps there is one of those settings that reverses ON and OFF after manual operation?

When someone comes and flips the swtich by error, is there a way to get the program to read the status of the switch and run the program again? 

Possibly.  But I assume that there is a time range during which you want the ISY to turn lights off that are manually switched off, no?  Certainly you don't want it keeping the lights off 24hr/day?

Stu, 

Thanks for the programming.  That is much simpler.  When you grow up with the Apes, you only know how to tallk like the Apes - me Tarzan!  

If your program was running, would it disable or disregard  someone toggling the switch by accident?  I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.

Oberkc,

You are correct, I don't want the lights to stay on for 24 hours.  But if the program starts up and turns the lights on, and my wife doesn't realize it and throws the switch - now the micro switch is off(these act like 3 ways, any toggle movement changes its state).  So I was asking that if the program  "if" statement was true (time between sunset and 1130) would the program sense it at 10pm and correct the status of the light?  Or is there some way I should monitor the 3 switches and in the event they are toggled, run a program that returns them to their desired state?

Nope. Toggling the switch will always produce the result of toggling the switch. What, specifically, do you want toggling the switch to do? And when? In any case, toggling a switch will cause the action to happen, a program can correct for that action, but not prevent it from occurring.

So I was asking that if the program  "if" statement was true (time between sunset and 1130) would the program sense it at 10pm and correct the status of the light
Perhaps I am being a bit dense.  It sounds like your scenario is that your program runs normally, but your wife fails to notice ("doesn't realize) that the lights are on and turns them off and then does not notice that they are off (perhaps wanted them off?).  You want the program to turn them back on at 10:00?

Or is there some way I should monitor the 3 switches and in the event they are toggled, run a program that returns them to their desired state?​

A program such as the following would accomplish your goal, I think:

if

time is from sunset to 11:30 (same day)

and 

(

status  'Front Porch' off

or

status 'driveway' off

or

status 'Carport' off

)

then

turn on all three lights <<<to lazy to type it all out

else

nothing

Such a program, I expect, would turn the lights on at sunset and, should one or more be turned off before 11:30, turn them back on.  

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.  Perhaps you could incorporate something like this into your current programs?

Archived