How do I wire my 2441TH thermostat to control a simple boiler?

Pg3t

My gas-fired boiler (hydronic hot water heat), no AC, has been controlled with a simple two-wire thermostat, connected to R & G connections on the boiler transformer. The transformer connections available are R, G, C, W, and Y. I tried connecting C to 24V COM, R to 24RG, and W to W1. No luck. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking that my boiler may have a multiple winding transformer (also known as a multi-coil, or multi-winding transformer). But maybe that aspect is mute. Let me say it this way: My boiler has  R, G, C, W, and Y connections available.

You need at least 3 wires for heat only, R (24VAC in), C (24VAC return) and W (heat). G is used for fan, but in a single mode system (e.g., heat only), that's not always needed, that is, it's taken care of automatically by the control board. Y is for cooling which you don't have so you can ignore it.

Sometime a 2-wire cable actually has a third wire. Strip back the outer layer of the cable a bit (if you have one).

Well... I tried R (24VAC in), C (24VAC return) and W (heat) with no luck. Both of my attempts lit up the display on the Insteon thermostat, but didn't ignite the burners. When I opened the access cover and checked the wiring for the simple 2-wire thermostat, the connections were to G and R. I know that G is typically for the fan, but maybe a gas boiler is different for some odd reason. I attached a photo of the transformer and a photo of the schematic. Any ideas?

post-9921-0-49721200-1508782301_thumb.jpg

post-9921-0-16745600-1508782367_thumb.jpg

Archived