IoLinc

hart2hart

It is a Piezo Beeper/Sounder.

I had a chance to look at a few different hardware revisions of the 2450 I/O Linc Modules.

They use the same LNK354GN Switching Power Supply IC as the 2413 PLM and V2 Access Points.

C7 was the part I found changed. Between hardware revisions.

Hardware V1.0 0851:
C3  6.8uf/250V
C11 100uf/25V
C8  10uf/16V
C7  10uf/25V  25V rating was close to the 21VDC I measured on it.

Hardware V1.8 1202:
C3  6.8uf/250V
C11 100uf/25V
C8  10uf/16V
C7  10uf/50V Mounted horizontally over PCB. As it was large to fit the boards hole spacing.

Hardware V2.3 1430:
C3  6.8uf/250V
C11 100uf/25V
C8  10uf/16V
C7  220uf/50V Mounted horizontally over PCB. As it was large to fit the boards hole spacing.

My thoughts are.
In V1.8 C7 was changed to 10uf/50V for a better safety margin.
In V2.3 C7 was changed to 220uf/50V to beef up the power supply.

The original 1.0 had a very small filter capacitor and the output actually went down when the relay coil turned On.

Use a capacitor for switching supplies.

@brian h Thanks for great information. I am looking at a version 1.2 unit. Got it apart and the existing capacitors removed. Few questions:

1. Are the replacement part numbers for someone like Mouser listed in the PLM thread? As I recall the replacement parts are significantly upgraded in specifications, ratings, and quality from originals.

2. Is the red compound on mains connections a version of lock tite or does it have electrical significance such as connection of different metals?

3. Was quality of assembly bad? Looks like flux or something similar is smeared all over board show in image.

4. You mentioned v1.0 had small filter capacitor on it. What was its number? Do I need to replace it?

Images follow:post-583-15093090726508_thumb.jpgc50d25024a33de7eb26f11c632a6d37c.jpg

1. I believe C3,C11 and C8 are the same values as the 2413S. Though the C numbers on the PCB silk screening may not match each other. The new part numbers going by old and new value picked should match.

{1-4} C7 is the only capacitor in the main power supply and not in a pi {capacitor, coil, capacitor } configuration. Like the 2413S. Just one capacitor for the main power supply.

It was a 10Uf/25V in my 1.0. Changed to a 10uF/50V in my 1.8. The 2.3 has a 220uF/50V. If your is a 10uF I would go for the new value of 220uF/50V. The power supply is around 21VDC that is on the low side of the 24 volt relay voltage tolerance. The 10uF voltage goes even lower when the relay coil current is being supplied. With the 220uF it stays at 21VDC.

It will not fit on the PCB in the normal position. It is horizontal to the PCB and the legs are bent at about 90 degrees. Small dab of component glue holding it place. C7 is the one that is on the switching supply and is the one most critical. Should be low ESR or rated for a switching supply output.

I don't off hand have a part number for it as it is not a value in a 2413S.

2. Just a someone tampered with this screw indicator.

3. I have seen the white stuff on my modules also. I think it is leftover residue from the cleaning. Maybe that ROHS not real lead solder.

Sorry for the delay.

Big storm. No power for twenty four hours.

Batteries in the phone company. Small equipment building down the road. Only keeps them alive for maybe an hour.

I still am on DSL.

I believe the values of C3 C11 and C8. Are also used in the 2413S PLM. So you should be able to use the part numbers for the values.

The 10uF400V was used in the PLM if memory serves me. It fit my PLM and I believe it will on the 2450 I/OLinc/

C7 is the one that is in the switching supply and should be the 220uF/50 volt if possible.

Both the first change 10uF/50V and 220uF/50 volt are physically to large. Have to be mounted horizontally to the PCB and the leads bent at a ninety degrees

• 7 months later...

@Brian HI just recapped a v2.2 iolinc and it is still dead so something else at fault.  When plugging it in the led flashes very briefly but goes off and stays off and it does not respond to any requests.  There appears to be a very small transformer.  Do you think it is the likely problem?  I'm just throwing it in box with bad stuff in case a part from / reviewing it can of benefit in the future.

You may want to look at the +5 volts to GND on the I/O terminal block to see how it is acting.

Since C7 is probably horizontal to the PCB. If you are careful there should be ~22VDC on C7. That may give some clues.

Since the PCB is double sided with plated through holes. It is possible one got damaged and is no longer making connection between the layers. I know I damaged one  in a 2443 V2 Access Point and I had to use some wire wrap wire to reconnect the missing connection.

Small solder splash bridging runs.

It is possible the small transformer in the switching supply went bad but it would not be on the top of my list. Maybe a diode or Zener could have also been bad.

You may want to look at the +5 volts to GND on the I/O terminal block to see how it is acting.

Since C7 is probably horizontal to the PCB. If you are careful there should be ~22VDC on C7. That may give some clues.

Since the PCB is double sided with plated through holes. It is possible one got damaged and is no longer making connection between the layers. I know I damaged one  in a 2443 V2 Access Point and I had to use some wire wrap wire to reconnect the missing connection.

Small solder splash bridging runs.

It is possible the small transformer in the switching supply went bad but it would not be on the top of my list. Maybe a diode or Zener could have also been bad.

[mention=2200]Brian H[/mention] There is 5v on terminal and 21vdc across c7.

Sounds like the power supplies are working.
Maybe a different component had failed or there is a bad run on the board.

Thanks. Not gonna much more time on it but what other components would you look at? Since it does exact same behavior before and after recap (plug in and short pulse at the led but no communications) I’m going to rule out damaged trace.

Archived