Multiple motion sensors to ToggleLinc switch

Hello,

I’m brand new to Insteon devices and this forum. I’ve got Led soffit lights (outdoors) around the exterior of my house that are hardwired and ALL come on with the flip of a single ToggleLinc switch from Insteon. That part works great. I installed the ToggleLinc switch so I can have exterior motion sensors turn on this switch when motion is sensed. Ultimately, I’d like to have 6-7 sensors located all around the exterior of my home so if you approach the house too closely (from anywhere), my soffit lights will come on (and then turn off after a specified time). Thus far, I have an Insteon Hub and 3 motion sensor II units. I’ve successfully set up a connection with one motion sensor (the controller) and the switch (the responder). I did all this through the Insteon for Hub app which walked me through how to setup the communication between the two. That works perfectly, the lights come on when motion is detected and automatically go off 30 seconds after no motion is detected (I specified the time). So I have a “scene” established so that I can add more controllers (motion sensors).

My problem is that when I added a second motion sensor to the scene, the second sensor will turn on the lights but they won’t go off unless I manually turn them off. I’m suspecting it may be an issue with manual linking vs Insteon Hub which I don’t really understand. I have a scene established with both sensors as controllers with a 30 second motion countdown and the switch set as the responder.

Any sugggestions?

The last sensor to detect motion should send an off signal, so, you are correct, something is wrong. You do have only one scene with both sensors as controllers, don't you? If so, then remove the first sensor from the scene and leave only the second sensor that's not turning the ToggleLinc off. What's the result?

BTW, the ToggleLinc is powerline only, so you do need at least one dual-band device on the same leg of the single-phase electric supply as the ToggleLinc nearby to each motion sensor. Also, separate scenes that control the same device can sometimes be problematic, most especially if each scene sends a signal at at near the same time.

Thanks! I found that I had the “on-only” option selected for the motion sensors. This was preventing the motion countdown from ever starting ...thus the soffits lights never went off after the motion sensors triggered them to turn on. All better now. Thank you for your reply!

• 3 weeks later...

Another question. I currently have 7 motion sensor II’s installed around the exterior of my home. I want all of these to activate my soffit lights via a ToggleLinc switch. Stusviews mentioned that it can be problematic to have multiple scenes signaling the same responder, especially if there is the potential that different controllers from different scenes may send a signal at or near the same time. Ultimately, I’d like all of the seven sensors to activate the soffit lights when motion is detected by any one of them. However, I’d like to install other ToggleLinc switches and have a particular motion sensor activate another switch in addition to the soffit lights. For example, if you trigger one of the two sensors I have on back of my home, I’d like it to activate the soffit lights AND the back porch lights. Another example, if you trigger one of the 3 sensors I have on front of my home, I’d like it to activate the soffit lights AND the front porch lights. Make sense? What is the best way to set this up? The easiest way seems to be setting up separate scenes (?). Also if I create a single scene with all 7 sensors and try to create a separate scene with just one of those sensors (to activate a different switch), my insteon Hub app is not letting me do that. I’m confused. Any suggestions?

I believe you can do it with scenes. Here's what's important in scenes as designed into Insteon:

• A responder, a switch like a togglelinc, can be a responder in many scenes, but...
  • A controller can only be a controller for one scene

If the motion sensors you describe can all be put in separate scene "buckets", you can do it with scenes. Reading your writeup, I think that this will work:

Scene 1 Back:  2 Motion sensors in the back of the house as controllers, soffit and back porch lights as responders

Scene 2 Front:  3 Motion sensors in the front of the house as controllers, soffit and front porch lights as responders

The scene set up above will be the easiest to set up and try.

Another way would be with ISY programs, This would address the following caveat: If the front motion sensor get triggered, and the timer started, and then someone goes around back 5 minutes later and triggers the back scene. The soffit lights will go back off when the first motion sensor in front times out.  ISY programs would be the way to solve that one. I'll see what you think before describing further

Paul

Thanks Paul. So if someone triggered the front scene (and let’s say I have it on a 90 second countdown) and goes around back 60 seconds later and triggers the back scene, wouldn’t that reset the timer on the soffit lights (only) which are apart of both scenes?

Also, I am completely unfamiliar with ISY although I see it discussed on this forum. Can you explain a little to me please :)?

Thanks Paul. So if someone triggered the front scene (and let’s say I have it on a 90 second countdown) and goes around back 60 seconds later and triggers the back scene, wouldn’t that reset the timer on the soffit lights (only) which are apart of both scenes?

If you are using the motion sensors' timers, no. In that case, the timer is located in each Motion Sensor unit and if a motion is not sensed again, it will time out first and send the off command... that includes the soffit lights in both scenes. With multiple motion sensors triggering independently, you'll potentially get the soffit lights going back off when not expected.

Also, I am completely unfamiliar with ISY although I see it discussed on this forum. Can you explain a little to me please :)?

I would first try it with the scenes first, and test what I suggested, as its simpler. Try one side of the house, and then go around and trigger the other. If you are ok with the results, I would stop there.

If you don't like how that works, 

• remove the soffit lights from the scene (I'm assuming only one switch for this example)

• On the program tab for the ISY Admin Console , create a program that checks for any motion sensor being switched on, and then turn on the soffit lights, wait x minutes/seconds, turn the soffit lights off. That way. the last motion triggered by any sensor will restart the timer

If

Motion 1 is switched on

or Motion 2 is switched on

or Motion 3 is switched on

or Motion 4 is switched on

or Motion 5 is switched on

Then

set soffit on

wait x minutes (or seconds)

set soffit off

The way ISY programs work, when any motion sensor sends an "on", the program and the countdown is restarted

Paul

Archived