SwitchLinc dimmer toggles off but not on?

I've got a 2477D Dual band SwitchLinc Dimmer v.41 controlling the light kit on a ceiling fan in my home (the fan is on a separate, dumb switch), and I'm encountering an odd issue with controlling it via the ISY. ISY seems to have no issues turning the switch off, but when ISY tries to turn the switch on, it fails. If I try to turn it on from the ISY admin console, I get an error communicating with the switch, and the red exclamation point icon on the device. Once this happens, querying the device will usually fail once or twice, but eventually a query will succeed and the warning icon will go away.

This is the only device I'm having issues with; I even have two other switchlinc dimmers on that same breaker, and they respond consistently, without errors.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Is there a way to fix or troubleshoot this, or do I maybe just have a bad switch?

I can think of 2 possibilities

1. Insteon devices 'lose their marbles' sometimes. A simple test to see if this is it: Factory reset the switch, and use the admin console to 'right click' on the device, and then select 'restore device'. Re-test.

2. The light creates a significant amount of line noise, only when it starts up, and blocks the response back to the ISY. Fixes for that are a little more involved.
    • If the switch supports it, up the number  of retries <- Not a preferred long term solution
      • Right click on the switch in the admin console
      • select advanced... select PLM communications .. if the switch supports it
      • If it supports it, up the retries to 3,4 or 5, retest (the switch may update, but it will take several seconds to see it in the admin console)
      • This method may get you by, but creates a lot of traffic. 
      • Not preferred, but would prove noise as the culprit
    • If noise is the culprit, try a different bulb.. is the bulb dimmable?. <-Preferred method, over upping retries. 

Paul

Archived