Siren system for end of driveway

ctviggen1

I'm trying to use a sensor that would trigger when a car pulls into our driveway and would sound an alarm.  I ordered a new Insteon motion sensor and a siren.  I have been able to get the motion sensor to work with my ISY 994i, but not the siren (says it's "unknown").  I have version 4.6.2 of the software.

What other options do I have to support this?  Do I have to use a Z-wave product such as the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Z-Wave-strobe-alerts-battery/dp/B00PKKM2HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512327572&sr=8-1&keywords=aeon+siren

If so, would I be able to use the Insteon motion sensor to trigger the Z-wave strobe?

Thank you.

Some of the newer Insteon device are not fully supported by ISY v4+. That includes both the motion sensor and the siren. You may want to adventure in the still in Alpha version 5+. Or delve into Z-Wave for both the siren and sensor. Another choice is a BuzzLinc

I'm trying to use a sensor that would trigger when a car pulls into our driveway and would sound an alarm.  I ordered a new Insteon motion sensor and a siren.  I have been able to get the motion sensor to work with my ISY 994i, but not the siren (says it's "unknown").  I have version 4.6.2 of the software.

What other options do I have to support this?

If you have an Insteon motion sensor and an Insteon siren, you could choose to manually link the siren as a responder for the motion sensor. This avoids the need for the siren to be supported by the ISY994.

See "Local Programming Features" in the siren user manual.

If so, would I be able to use the Insteon motion sensor to trigger the Z-wave strobe?

Yes, Z-Wave strobe/alert/etc would be an option. however you'd need to do this with an ISY program rather than with an Insteon scene.

I ended up getting rid of the siren.  I can't get the new sensor to link correctly to the hub (which I only use for this purpose), and I would get random links.  It worked maybe 10% of the time.  My driveway is very long and the siren is inside the house.  I bought a wireless magnetic driveway sensor.  It's not linked to my ISY, but it works and shouldn't alarm for animals. 

Archived