Similar program?

edgar

I have the following programs that  I use when to watch TV, and control them with a mini remote.  To start watching TV I use Movie On

Movie On  - [iD 0029][Parent 0057][Not Enabled]

If
        Control '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is switched On

Then
        Wait  40 seconds
        Set 'Misc Lamps' Off
        Wait  4 minutes
        Set 'ZW 003 TV back light' 38%
        Set 'ZW 005 Kitchen Cabinet Light' 30%

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

When finish watching TV I use "Movie Off": Mini remote E off.

Movie Off - [iD 0014][Parent 0057][Not Enabled]

If
        Status  '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is Off

Then
        Wait  3 seconds
        Set Scene 'Movie Done' On
        Wait  6 minutes
        Set 'ZW 003 TV back light' Off
        Set 'ZW 005 Kitchen Cabinet Light' 100%
        Set 'Misc Lamps' Off
        Wait  1 hour 23 minutes and 36 seconds (Random)
        Set 'Corner Cabinet Lamp LampLinc' Off
        Set 'Kitchen Island ToggleLink Dim' Fade Down

Else

They work as expected, but I can't get the same results when I tried to combine them into "one program" (Movie).

Movie - [iD 0058][Parent 0057]

If

Then
        Wait  40 seconds
        Set 'Misc Lamps' Off
        Wait  4 minutes

Else
        Wait  3 seconds
        Wait  6 minutes
        Set 'Misc Lamps' Off
        Wait  1 hour 23 minutes and 36 seconds (Random)

Is the program "Movie" the same as "Movie On" and "Movie Off" combined? I thought when I hit button E on mini remote would execute "Then", and when I hit it again (Off), would execute "Else"  That is the way it operates whit the individual programs. What am I missing? Thanks for any input.

PS:I forgot to mention that button E also controls a Scene when is "turned On" (Movie Time).

I have the following programs that I use when to watch TV, and control them with a mini remote. To start watching TV I use Movie On

Movie On - [iD 0029][Parent 0057][Not Enabled]

If

Then

Wait 40 seconds

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Wait 4 minutes

Else

If

Status '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is Off

Then

Wait 3 seconds

Wait 6 minutes

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Wait 1 hour 23 minutes and 36 seconds (Random)

Else

They work as expected, but I can't get the same results when I tried to combine them into "one program" (Movie).

If

Then

Wait 40 seconds

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Wait 4 minutes

Else

Wait 3 seconds

Wait 6 minutes

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Is the program "Movie" the same as "Movie On" and "Movie Off" combined? I thought when I hit button E on mini remote would execute "Then", and when I hit it again (Off), would execute "Else" That is the way it operates whit the individual programs. What am I missing? Thanks for any input.

PS:I forgot to mention that button E also controls a Scene when is "turned On" (Movie Time).

Have you tried switching Control to Status? I see why it won't work, I just don't know how to code it.

You can accomplish what you want using one program. That's a cleaner approach. Add the statement in blue below to get Else to run when button E is pressed off:

If

And Control '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is not switched Off

stusviews has the solution I would recommend.  I believe Gary Funks approach would work as well, but have the slight preference for stusviews' approach.

your single program does not work because the condition "Control '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is switched On" is triggered only by an ON command, and can never run false.

stusviews has the solution I would recommend. I believe Gary Funks approach would work as well, but have the slight preference for stusviews' approach.

your single program does not work because the condition "Control '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is switched On" is triggered only by an ON command, and can never run false.

We have the same approach. Like I said, I didn't know how to code for it.

In some languages you use:

If NOT Control '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)

woukd work instead of having both On and Off.

Question : Does Control work with Scenes?

So, is it correct that if you turn on a Scene you can only check for Status of a device?

There is no such thing as a scene status in ISY.

Some 3rd party software allows you to define a scene satus based on the status of devices in the scene.  But that is quite arbitrary.  What does it mean for a scene to be on, 50%, etc?  Is a scene with 4 devices where two of them meet scene criteria 50% on?  Or maybe all 4 devices are on at 50% of the scene level?  

Frankly, it just makes no sense to define the status of a scene.  I suppose you could say "on" when all devices are exactly as defined in the scene and "off" when all the devices are off, and "other" when something else.  Of course you also have to contend with the fact that the scene on level of a device could be to have that device off.  So, again, I say, scene status makes no sense.

You can accomplish what you want using one program. That's a cleaner approach. Add the statement in blue below to get Else to run when button E is pressed off:

If

This is the approach you probably want.  It does exactly the same thing as the two separate programs.  So if the two separates fit your needs, then this will too.

That depends on what the scene does. Although you can turn a scene on or off, the scene does not have a status. For example, a scene can be created that turns one device on and the others off. You'd have to check the status of the one device. 

Or the scene can turn all members of that scene off when On is selected (Off will also turn the devices off). What is the status of that scene when it's turned On?

Some 3rd party software allows you to define a scene satus based on the status of devices in the scene.  But that is quite arbitrary.  What does it mean for a scene to be on, 50%, etc?  Is a scene with 4 devices where two of them meet scene criteria 50% on?  Or maybe all 4 devices are on at 50% of the scene level?  

Frankly, it just makes no sense to define the status of a scene.  I suppose you could say "on" when all devices are exactly as defined in the scene and "off" when all the devices are off, and "other" when something else.  Of course you also have to contend with the fact that the scene on level of a device could be to have that device off.  So, again, I say, scene status makes no sense.

If you reread my message you will find I wrote "status of a device."

I have the following programs that I use when to watch TV, and control them with a mini remote. To start watching TV I use Movie On

Movie On - [iD 0029][Parent 0057][Not Enabled]

If

Then

Wait 40 seconds

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Wait 4 minutes

Else

If

Status '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is Off

Then

Wait 3 seconds

Wait 6 minutes

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Else

If

Then

Wait 40 seconds

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Wait 4 minutes

Else

Wait 3 seconds

Wait 6 minutes

Set 'Misc Lamps' Off

Is the program "Movie" the same as "Movie On" and "Movie Off" combined? I thought when I hit button E on mini remote would execute "Then", and when I hit it again (Off), would execute "Else" That is the way it operates whit the individual programs. What am I missing? Thanks for any input.

Try...

If

Control '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is switched on

And Control '.Fam Rm Rem - E (Movie Time)' is not switched off

If won’t trigger on the off otherwise...

Edit: I see stusviews answered this already. I guess I should read the whole thread.

If you reread my message you will find I wrote "status of a device."

You asked if you can only check the status of a device, you did not state it.  

By answering that the status of a scene does not exist (and elaborating on why), I assumed you would make the connection that, yes, you indeed can only check the status of a device.

If

stusviews has the solution I would recommend.  I believe Gary Funks approach would work as well, but have the slight preference for stusviews' approach.

Solution provided by stusviews worked perfect. Thanks a lot. Also thanks to oberkc for the explanation. Sometimes I tend to forget that because you can choose the same devices in Control and Status, does not mean that the results from each command are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from a stage lighting background I guess it is easier to understand a scene since they are used so often. Typically, yes, when all the devices are as defined in the scene and physically set (not just some random occurrence when they match) then that scene is on. When that scene is 'off' everything could be at 0 or another scene is on. Layered scenes gets a little tricky and that is when you can get into Highest Takes Precedence (HTP) or Lowest/Latest Takes Precedence (LTP). Highest and lowest being the level the instruments would use. This could get long so I'll stop there.

Anyway, when one scene is off then another is set. Whether by another physical scene, individual device settings or to black but even black could also be considered a 'scene'. It really depends on the nomenclature and whatever 'standard' you want to define and use as scene status.

Scenes in HA is a bit different but very likely have roots in entertainment lighting. In stage lighting controls, some set of instruments in a scene is not reliant on some other instrument setting. I know why they do it in HA but to me it is really arbitrary. A single switch is to devine whether it should be party mode or clean-the-house mode.

A home automation "scene" is defined by the protocol and may or may not have any relationship to how another protocol (or industry) defines a scene. An Insteon scene is anytime one or more devices are linked to one or more other devices. Each device can linked as a controller, responder or both.

An Insteon device can be a controller of one and only one scene, but it can be a responder to many scenes. ISY scenes differ a bit in that if the device is a scene controller, then it's also a scene responder. Because the On-Level of any responder can be On or Off (or any level in-between if the responder is a dimmer), the scene itself has no status, only the devices which are members of the scene do.

Thus, turning an Insteon scene off turns all its member off, turning a scene on can result in multiple On-levels including Off. Note that an Insteon scene does not need to have any controller (as defined by the Insteon protocol) at all. When a scene is turned on or off by some other method, then that method is considered a trigger, not a controller (in Insteon terminology).

BTW, the Insteon protocol has its roots in X10 to which we owe the All On/All Off phenomenon (and which has subsequently been deleted from the Insteon protocol).

A scene in stage lighting and scene in HA is the same basic principle - just different ways and terminology or mindset if you will. A scene can be any set of instruments (lights) or devices which has levels from 0 - 100 in analog or 0 - 255 for digital. In recent years some have started using the term "looks" but is still a scene. HA co-opted it and it's terminology was twisted because you didn't have any type of multiple static controllers or memory controllers for all those new X10 devices. You could have a scene in a 1978 X10 system as you would manually set the overhead lights off, the track lights (old school :) ) to a specific value, the table lamps dimmed to a specific level, the coffee percolator on an appliance module perking away, etc. All of those comprised a 'scene'. You could turn off that scene but it was then effectively destroyed (All Off) since it had to be recreated manually.

Back in the old days, stage controllers typically had 2 scenes and a crossfade slider. Each scene had a submaster control under a master control slider. If a cross fade was used from scene A to B then A was off. Likewise, if the master was changed to 0, both were off. The issue is with HA, most systems didn't really have a memory master control per se so they tried to co-opt other devices to act as a submaster or master.

Of course now, HA is to stage lighting as a skateboard is to a 777. Stage systems are getting into tens of thousands of channels now where 1 single instrument (like a video projector) may use half of a DMX universe (256 channels). Instead of the old static 2 scene controllers they now have midrange controllers able to control 8 universes with untold slews of scenes. Again though, while a set of instruments may be tied to a particular scene intrinsically, typically one instrument does not control another. There are some master/slave relationships between some lights but that is usually because there is not a master controller.

Yep, I was one of the first to have an X10 system. I was working at an electrical distributor when Leviton licensed and branded a X10 system. I still have the controller they packaged with the starter kits and it still works. I don't think the design or tech has changed in 40 years. :) And still buggy. :)

I also still have a NSI (coincidentally bought by Leviton) 64 channel memory lighting controller too. It is my baby and while she was once a powerful and beautiful thing, she is now an infant in an ever changing world. She is mine though and will live on by running the Christmas lights.

Archived