Model 2450 I/O Linc

Tango

I have an Insteon 2450 I/O Linc installed to control my garage door.  This is from the 74551 Garage Door Kit.

I'm using the Normally Open contact and it's controlling my door as it should.  (With a little magic - it's a Liftmaster, or Chamberlain, so I had to hack one of their wall control buttons since they don't want to make products that work with anything else.)

I'm wondering about the Normally Closed contact.  Is there any way, with settings or anything else, to turn this to Normally Open?  Maybe I could set it so whenever the switch is powered on, it opens automatically and closes when I tell it to.  I hacked the light switch as well as the door switch, so if the NC circuit could be, somehow, treated as NO (or I could use it to control another relay without notable power drain), then I can use it to control the light as well as controlling the door.

Hi

You can buy sensors that are normally closed, or have 2 sets of terminals and you wire to which one you want.. For the iolinc, you can set it to momentary contact, so even though its turned on, it holds the contact briefly, just like an opener button would.

My garage door operation (other than the openers that came with it) are from:

• iolinc sensor (sensor wired for NC)
  • iolinc contacts (Momentary B, 2 seconds, triggered by On or Off)
  • Garage light switch (replaced the garage light switch with a togglinc) 
  • Labeled keypad inside by back door

I have 2 scenes

• Control door - keypad key is controller to the relay
  • Control keypad key - iolinc sensor is the controller to light up the key to show that the door is up

post-5496-0-89237900-1514496401_thumb.jpg

The door is controlled only by the scene / keypad key and not ISY programs. I do have ISY programs that follow up and alert that the door's open, but do not participate in control

If you used scenes on the switch and used Momentary B option on the iolinc, turning the switch either way would operate the door. On would turn the light on and off would turn it off. To prevent the lights from being on forever, you could follow it up with an ISY program:

If 

status garagelight is on

then

wait (20 minutes, whatever)

set garagelight on level 50%  (give a warning that its going off)

wait 2 minutes

set garagelight off

FWIW it could get confusing if someone wants to turn the light on and the door operates. 

Paul

Hi

You can buy sensors that are normally closed, or have 2 sets of terminals and you wire to which one you want.. For the iolinc, you can set it to momentary contact, so even though its turned on, it holds the contact briefly, just like an opener button would....

This is the heart of what I'm interested in.  At this point I'm not thinking of long term programming or anything else.  Basically, on the I/O Linc, I have one Normally Open (NO) and one Normally Closed (NC) contact.  I can use the NO one and connect it to the switch terminals so when it closes it activates the garage door.  If I had a 2nd NO contact on the I/O Linc, I could do the same there for the light.  The problem is this particular piece of equipment I'm asking about, the Model 2450, has only the one NO and the one NC connections.

Since the NO contact is used, and all that's left on this device is the NC contact, I'm asking if there is some way to use the NC contact in a way so it behaves as a NO contact - staying open all the time and only closing for a second or so to send the signal, "Turn light on/off."

This is the heart of what I'm interested in.  At this point I'm not thinking of long term programming or anything else.  Basically, on the I/O Linc, I have one Normally Open (NO) and one Normally Closed (NC) contact.  I can use the NO one and connect it to the switch terminals so when it closes it activates the garage door.  If I had a 2nd NO contact on the I/O Linc, I could do the same there for the light.  The problem is this particular piece of equipment I'm asking about, the Model 2450, has only the one NO and the one NC connections.

Since the NO contact is used, and all that's left on this device is the NC contact, I'm asking if there is some way to use the NC contact in a way so it behaves as a NO contact - staying open all the time and only closing for a second or so to send the signal, "Turn light on/off."

Ahh. The iolinc has only one Insteon device node presented, not one each for NO and NC terminal. You can choose one of those.

Paul

Ahh. The iolinc has only one Insteon device node presented, not one each for NO and NC terminal. You can choose one of those.

Paul

Okay, let me rephrase that to be sure I understand it.  So even if I could wire the NC connection, too, it could not be activated separately from the NO connection?

That makes sense, but it's a bit disappointing, since that means I'd need a 2nd device if I want to control the light, too.

Oh, well.  Thanks!

If you are asking about the NC,NO,Common relay outputs. No it can't be done.

The connections are a relay with a NO and NC set of contacts.

When not energized the connection is from NC to Common.

Energized NO to Common.

Okay, thanks for verifying.  I got it now.

The I/O Linc contacts are actually SPDT, exactly the same as a 3-way switch. Thus, at any particular time, if one terminal is connected to COM, then the other is not.

Archived