Best push notification platform - iOS

born2dive

I am trying to decide which platform to use.  I am using iOS so I am down to 3 choices:

Prowl

Pushover

Pushsafer

Any advice on which to use or best practice to setup push notifications?

Thanks.

I have been using Prowl for many years with excellent results. Others like Pushover as I believe its supports multi platform OS and offers some extra features.

There is this wiki article that describes some of them

I can comment on pushover. I've been using it on ios.  I use network resources to send notifications. 

Their concept of setting up "applications" from their website is more like folders, I can look at all notifications in time order, or click under each "application" to see just their alerts. I have "applications" (folders) for HVAC, Sprinkler, Alarm system, garage door, ISY alerts (battery, reboots,etc). I have multiple, different messages in each application, and the app keeps them organized together. I focus on key messages that help me follow what's going on, or observe how key ISY programs are performing using variable/module substitution.

For best practice (for me): Its's worth thinking about key events that you want to know about, or help you "tweak" how the ISY is behaving, e.g. balancing power / water usage. Are ISY programs doing what you want? Or did something systemic happen like an ISY reboot, battery alert, lose contact with something like nodelink that offers a heartbeat to follow. 

Its a little bit of a curve to get the first one going, but after you do, you can copy the NR for an app, and update the network resources and type the different messages you want to see in them. You can also use variable substitution to get better intelligence on what is going on.. eg the battery alert is 25%, or 10% (if the device supports it), actual temps, rainfall, etc. Typically the ISY programs are very simple, and there'll be one for each notification.

Paul

I also recommend Pushover. It's worked for me all last year.

That's a great point. There are a lot of new free services that come out, some work great like this, other's like IFTTT have been so-so for me. I can't comment on other notification services, but pushover has just worked, I don't worry about it.

Paul

I mostly authored the wiki article, so tried most.

I settled on Pushover. Multi platform, you can push URLs and do high priority pushes (keep alerting until the phone owner acknowledges). Each event has its own app and icon. And I use groups so a single push can be sent to all family members (for alarm conditions).

That's a great point. There are a lot of new free services that come out, some work great like this, other's like IFTTT have been so-so for me. I can't comment on other notification services, but pushover has just worked, I don't worry about it.

Paul

I get several messages a day and I've never missed one.

I would like some help as I still cannot get it to work.

So I signed up for pushover.  paid for the full license.  I registered and linked my iPhone and I can see it in my devices on pushover.net. 

I can push a test message from my account in pushover.net and I get the message on the iPhone.

I have a user key.  I created an application in Pushover and have its key as well.

I setup the network resource in ISY, screenshot attached.

I wrote a small program to test that it works.  It doesn't! 

What am I missing?

Thanks.

post-6708-0-61506700-1514938374_thumb.jpg

post-6708-0-34256800-1514938383_thumb.png

Archived