Is snow good insulation?

larryllix

It's been another rough one. the last few weeks. Finally some 0C temps again.

Now we just have to work on that violent wind!

Maybe when the window snow melts down we can get some light in here again! Maybe time to try out the snowshoes again.

In the window picture, the bottom dark part is from a snow drift over the window...about 7-8' high. The top part is from the wind sticking ice to the window. No part is clear. :(

post-4697-0-09970300-1515427727_thumb.jpg post-4697-0-36230900-1515427752_thumb.jpg

Yes, snow is an insulator; dry fluffy snow has an R-Value of around 1, approximately the same as wood.

It definitely slows down heat transfer and keeps the wind at bay

Yes, snow is an insulator; dry fluffy snow has an R-Value of around 1, approximately the same as wood.

It definitely slows down heat transfer and keeps the wind at bay

Anything that inhibits air/fluild movement insulates, until it melts.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I have always understood insulation being related to the "conduction" (through solids) of heat, rather than the "convection" (fluid flow) of heat.  But, I don't know recall why I have come to this understanding or have a lot of confidence in this.  I suspect that this is why (among other reasons such as moisture control) houses often have a vapor barrier in addition to insulation.

Regarding snow, I don't know that it is always the same temperature as the air.  While I am sure this is true on the exposed side, it might be warmer on the other side.  While it cannot be any warmer that 0C, it could be 0 on one side and much colder on another side.  I understand that a good snow cover can help keep certain plants alive by keeping soil temperatures from getting too low.  Soil side of the snow cover is undoubtedly warmer than the air side.  I have always assumed that the temperature of the walls inside an igloo would be higher than the walls on the outside (if not, it would not be much of an insulator).

Regardless, it sounds like we all understand that snow can be an insulator.

I have always understood insulation being related to the "conduction" (through solids) of heat, rather than the "convection" (fluid flow) of heat. But, I don't know recall why I have come to this understanding or have a lot of confidence in this. I suspect that this is why (among other reasons such as moisture control) houses often have a vapor barrier in addition to insulation.

Regarding snow, I don't know that it is always the same temperature as the air. While I am sure this is true on the exposed side, it might be warmer on the other side. While it cannot be any warmer that 0C, it could be 0 on one side and much colder on another side. I understand that a good snow cover can help keep certain plants alive by keeping soil temperatures from getting too low. Soil side of the snow cover is undoubtedly warmer than the air side. I have always assumed that the temperature of the walls inside an igloo would be higher than the walls on the outside (if not, it would not be much of an insulator).

Regardless, it sounds like we all understand that snow can be an insulator.

As a mechanical engineer, you learn in thermodynamics 101 that heat moves 3 ways, conduction, convection and radiation. Issues with quantium mechanics, spooky action at a distance were not considered way back then. Just Newtonian physics.

Light, "dry" snow inhibits all three.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

It's been another rough one. the last few weeks. Finally some 0C temps again.

Now we just have to work on that violent wind!

Maybe when the window snow melts down we can get some light in here again! Maybe time to try out the snowshoes again.

In the window picture, the bottom dark part is from a snow drift over the window...about 7-8' high. The top part is from the wind sticking ice to the window. No part is clear. :(

attachicon.gifdeck snow.jpg attachicon.gifwindow.jpg

Its about time you guys got some snow  . . .

Let us know in the prairies when you get eight feet snow drifts, mach 2 winds, -50'C windchill, and low mean averages of -32'C.  :mrgreen:  I can lend you my mini Torro if you like?!?  :D  

Its about time you guys got some snow  . . .

Let us know in the prairies when you get eight feet snow drifts, mach 2 winds, -50'C windchill, and low mean averages of -32'C.  :mrgreen:  I can lend you my mini Torro if you like?!?  :D  

Mini Torro? Good brand. My 12 HP snowblower has a hard time with it here. Need a 16" wide with 12-15 HP.

This typical of most years here. We don't typically get below -25C much but the winds up on this mountain are brutal. I just replaced my old torn snowblower cab hood and can save my face from frostbite again.

Nothing like WinterPeg, Manit's-cold-here. :)

Archived