Multiple switch events?

Rand,

you are of course correct. Somewhere along the road, I developed the impression that "respondents" to direct commands did not repeat the incoming command. I can't find this anywhere in the white paper and don't remember where I developed this idea. Is this your understanding as well?

I don't know why devices wouldn't repeat commands. We are considering group commands and a responder would not know if there are any other responders or not. See page 28 on the white paper, p.54 in the developers guide. I am guessing that devices repeat commands no matter if they are direct or group commands.

In any case, since the SLD is putting out a group command, I would expect the PLM to repeat the transmission. That presents a problem to our theory.

Looking at the above, I can see a possible hole in my logic. Here's a variant (and probably where you were originally headed):

1) SLD issues the group command and does not see any message HOPs in response.

2) SLD reissues group command 3 times (still doesn't see message HOPs). This would be an "undocumented feature". Not a violation of the protocol since the group cleanup hasn't been issued yet.

3) SLD times out on retries and issues the group cleanup.

Since the PLM is registering the group command, it should also be repeating it. The SLD should be able to hear these repeats (hops) since the device successfully passes the scene test.

The alternative is that the PLM is repeating the group command and not hearing the direct cleanup. In this case the SLD would presumably time out waiting for an acknowledge and then retry. I can't explain why the PLM would be unable to hear the group cleanup if the SLD passes scene tests.

I still can't replicate this anomaly. If I leave my PLM at the panel, many devices hear the group command and all of them sound off during the "hopping" time frame. This occurs with the SLD on either phase and behind a filter.

Your PLM is probably in a better position than mine. My PLM is about as far from the panel as it could be but the circuit is populated with Insteon devices.

Haven't given up yet, just rethinking the problem statement. Either of you live near South Bend IN? This would be a lot easier if we could just put a scope on your systems.

Google says I am 121 miles, 2:14, from South Bend. If you think it's worth the travel you are welcome to visit. There are many very good restaurants here, I'm sure Michel will spring for a nice meal :)

Rand

Archived