Notify Me (Alex skill) Beta Test

randyth

*UPDATE*

This beta test is complete.  A big THANKS to everyone who participated.

As of March 20, 2018, the skill is now live for everyone.  (Hooray!)

If you find the skill useful, please do give it a positive review on the Alexa skill store.  Positive reviews help support the development of this and other skills like it.

Thanks,

-Randy

-----------------------

I’m looking for about 10 to 20 ISY owners who are interested in beta testing an Alexa Skill called Notify Me. This skill lets you push notifications to your Alexa device using a simple RESTful API.  (See the bottom of this post for an example on how to do this via an ISY Network Resource.)  When you send your Alexa a notification, it makes a “bing” sound and its ring glows yellow.  To hear your notification, just ask, “Alexa, what are my notifications?”

Further details can be found at www.notifymyecho.com

If you want to be part of this skill’s ISY beta test, please message me with the email address attached to the Amazon account you used to register your Echo device(s).  I will then send you a link you can use to enable the skill.  Comments, feedback, and (of course) compliments can be posted to this forum.

Using Notify Me with the ISY
Notify Me requires at least ISY Firmware Release 4.6.2 or 5.0.11 due to its dependency on SNI support

Once you’ve received your access code from Notify Me, you can set up a separate network resource for each message you want to send.  Here are the instructions for ISY Firmware 4.6.2:

• Go to Configuration->Networking->Network Resources
  • Click on Add
  • Give your resource a name, like “Hello World”
  • Click on the new resource’s URL column to edit it
  • Use the following settings:
  • HTTPS
  • Port: 443
  • Path: /v1/NotifyMe
  • Check Use SNI
  • Set timeout(ms) to at least 2,000
  • Mode: Raw Text
  • Headers: Change Content-Type to application/json
  • Body: enter the following...

{"notification":"Hello World", "accessCode":"ACCESS_CODE"}

...replacing ACCESS_CODE with the access code Notify Me emailed you.
  • Click Update; then click Save
  • Click the Save button found at the bottom of the main window.
  • Select the name of the Resource from the list and then click Test

Capture1.thumb.PNG.fe2f3dee7f8f1e0b124a2ca4b45e9c67.PNG

3 hours ago, Teken said:

Email to authenticate came instantly to enroll the new skill. But I have not received the password / secret code and have checked both junk / spam folders. 

Interesting.  A couple things:

1. Thanks to steveng57, we recently discovered that this initial release does not work in Canada (d'oh!).  I think this has been corrected, so please try to launch the skill again (launching the skill is what triggers the email with the access code).  If your Alexa device is registered in Canada, you might need to disable and then re-enable the skill to get it working.
  2. Did you successfully launch the skill ("Alexa, open Notify Me")?  If so, what did it say?

Definitely let me know if you can't launch the skill.

-Randy

Interesting.  A few questions:
1. I just discovered that this initial skill release does not work in Canada (sorry!).  I hope to correct this sometime early next week.  Are you located in Canada?
2. If you are not in Canada, did you successfully launch the skill ("Alexa, open Notify Me")?  If so, what did it say?

Aha! I do in fact reside in Canada! One thing I will check to see is if my USA address that Amazon assigned to help resolve the lack of API support is still in place.

If so I will check if logging into my USA account enables me to continue. If not I shall await your fix next week!

Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Teken,

My bad for "cross posting" an inline edit to my initial reply.  I have since updated it to say we may have already fixed the Canada issue.   We'd love it if you could verify this for us.  We recommend you disable and then re-enable the skill to be safe.

Thanks,

-Randy

So this is working nicely now that Canada is enabled.  Seems there are a lot of us ISY users up here :-).

This is an awesome skill!  I've got it running in test mode, now going to apply it to some real-world scenarios.

Note to ISY users: when cutting and pasting from the instructions above, I inadvertently copied a whitespace at the end of the hostname into the Resource manager..."api.notifymyecho.com  ", which resulted in 403 (Forbidden) coming back from the server.  Don't do that :-) I took more than a couple minutes to find it.  (This is an ISY / End user problem, not a Notify me problem).

Nice work Randy, very cool.

Who is the email coming from can one of you give me a image capture from the email header. Just got back home and tried the new link from Randy but don't see anything. I also disabled and enabled the skill too but still no joy. :x

7 minutes ago, Teken said:

Who is the email coming from can one of you give me a image capture from the email header. Just got back home and tried the new link from Randy but don't see anything. I also disabled and enabled the skill too but still no joy. :x

The email will come from from notifyme@notifymyecho.com via amazonses.com. 

Did you launch the skill ("Alexa, open Notify Me")?  If so, what did it tell you?  (Note: Enabling the skill does not trigger the email; launching the skill does that.)

-Randy

1 minute ago, randyth said:

The email will come from from notifyme@notifymyecho.com via amazonses.com. 

Did you launch the skill ("Alexa, open Notify Me")?  If so, what did it tell you?  (Note: Enabling the skill does not trigger the email; launching the skill does that.)

-Randy

Doh!! :oops:

1 hour ago, DaveStLou said:

Working great for me. There was a delay of about 90 minutes for the first notifications to come through to my Echo. Since then they arrive almost immediately.

90 minutes!  Ack!  Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can control that (we tell Amazon to post all notifications immediately), but I'll look into our log files to see if there is anything funny going on with that initial call.  Hopefully this was a one-time issue that has already cleared itself up.

8 minutes ago, randyth said:

Spying on the skill's log files, it looks like you're finally in, Teken! :-)

Well, I'm not sure we can say its 100% on my end as I am having some controller issues. Not related to your skill at all just this controller is being stupid. So, I couldn't stand to wait and decided to press the link you provided just to see how it operates.

Alexa made a sound and the color ring turned orange. Upon asking her what notifications were pending she indicated one message and than started saying *Hello World*

Just awesome . . .

Can you provide a edited version of how the code strings are appended in the body. I think there is a curly brace I deleted or left and that might be why it didn't work. Unless there is that 90 minute delay for this?

Just now, Teken said:

Can you provide a edited version of how the code strings are appended in the body. I think there is a curly brace I deleted or left and that might be why it didn't work.

Please do remove both curly braces when replacing {ACCESS_CODE} with your actual access code.   I really should simply remove those from the instructions -- they are likely only creating confusion.

1 minute ago, randyth said:

Please do remove both curly braces when replacing {ACCESS_CODE} with your actual access code.   I really should simply remove those from the instructions -- they are likely only creating confusion.

OK, also is the code including this -> amzn1.ask.account.

Archived