Google Home refuses connection

larryllix

I am not sure this is related but DST time change caused my router monitoring power cycle program to activate at 3:00 AM last night (not my query all set for 4:00 am) and my router ended up shut off for the night. I think I found an ISY program race condition possible and believe I fixed that ISY program.

After the router powerup  in the morning, the Google Home minis would not reconnect to the WiFi so  I power cycled them to fix. Now my GH minis have Internet access responses but will not operate my HA via the ISY portal.  Alexa devices work fine, as per normal with Internet smarts and HA via ISY portal.

From the GH app I deleted the UDI account and reinstalled it. All ISY portal elements re-appeared in the app again.

From the ISY portal webpage I checked the ISY element/device list and they all seem normal. When I re-download spokens to GH,  I always receive this error.

"Error sending your spokens. Google home API returned: PERMISSION_DENIED The caller does not have permission"

....and I cannot control an HA items from my GH minis.

Help please?

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

I am not sure this is related but DST time change caused my router monitoring power cycle program to activate at 3:00 AM last night (not my query all set for 4:00 am) and my router ended up shut off for the night. I think I found an ISY program race condition possible and believe I fixed that ISY program.

After the router powerup  in the morning, the Google Home minis would not reconnect to the WiFi so  I power cycled them to fix. Now my GH minis have Internet access responses but will not operate my HA via the ISY portal.  Alexa devices work fine, as per normal with Internet smarts and HA via ISY portal.

From the GH app I deleted the UDI account and reinstalled it. All ISY portal elements re-appeared in the app again.

From the ISY portal webpage I checked the ISY element/device list and they all seem normal. When I re-download spokens to GH,  I always receive this error.

"Error sending your spokens. Google home API returned: PERMISSION_DENIED The caller does not have permission"

Help please?

What you see after "Google home API returned:" is precisely the error message returned by Google when trying to initiate a sync request.

Could you try to unlink and relink?

Benoit

1 hour ago, bmercier said:

What you see after "Google home API returned:" is precisely the error message returned by Google when trying to initiate a sync request.

Could you try to unlink and relink?

Benoit

Thanks

Sure. What is that?

I don't see any linking for the ISY portal to GH. I only see an account link from the GH app and that has been done already as mentioned.

The linking is only from GH to ISY Portal. That is what I'm suggesting to retry.

FYI, when we link, GH then syncs the devices with ISY Portal. In that payload, we ISY Portal passes Google a unique ID.

Later on, when we do a sync request from ISY Portal, we are passing that same unique ID. The error message we see is due to GH not recognizing the unique ID.

Benoit

The linking is only from GH to ISY Portal. That is what I'm suggesting to retry.

FYI, when we link, GH then syncs the devices with ISY Portal. In that payload, we ISY Portal passes Google a unique ID.

Later on, when we do a sync request from ISY Portal, we are passing that same unique ID. The error message we see is due to GH not recognizing the unique ID.

Benoit

OK. I have unlinked the account, rebooted the GH app and linked to my ISY portal account again. All devices downloaded and showed up in the app again (63 devices).

The same results occurred again when I open the ISY portal and attempted to download the devices to GH.  I get the same "No Permission" error.

When addressing a GH mini vocally,  I get the same response "I'm sorry. There was an error and I am unable to control your home device"

This makes no sense that GH can connect to the postal and extract all the devices successfully but not communicate for HA control purposes. No changes were made and only the router in between was down for about 5 hours.

I have opened a case with Google.

In the mean time, would it be possible that you would have used more than a google account with the Google Home app? If so, it can do funny things.

I would suggest to remove the app and reinstall before relinking, see if that helps.

Benoit

I have opened a case with Google.

In the mean time, would it be possible that you would have used more than a google account with the Google Home app? If so, it can do funny things.

I would suggest to remove the app and reinstall before relinking, see if that helps.

Benoit

I just tried that but despite deleting and uninstalling the app, finding the memory cache and storage and deleting it then reinstalling, the GH app already knew of both accounts and all the UDI devices. Unlinked and relinked with no success. :(

I am going to do it again and see if a memory clean and mobile reboot helps clean things out. 

Too many things ask for passwords for the same account without clarifying account for what and all using the same email address. Portal has about three different accounts and none are specified what account it refers to.

OK. I think I have found the problem....partially.

I use two accounts. One account for HA and one account as a common calendar for the wife and myself. (This is a PITA with google calendars)

The GH app lists boths accounts and both accounts have complete duplicate setups. Very weird and I don;t know why they would do that.

Somehow my UDI account link got installed into both email accounts and must have confused GH synchonisations. I unlinked UDI from one email account and the UDI devices were all still present under the other email account.

The vocals now function properly but I still cannot download the associations to GH yet.

First, can you try: "google, sync my devices", see if tha works.

To fix the issue, I would suggest to proceed with another synchronization from the proper account.

Actually, you may want to delete the app once more, reinstall, login with the correct google account, then link with ISY Portal.

Somehow, it looks like GH is confused when trying to initiate a Sync request.

Benoit

5 hours ago, bmercier said:

First, can you try: "google, sync my devices", see if tha works.

To fix the issue, I would suggest to proceed with another synchronization from the proper account.

Actually, you may want to delete the app once more, reinstall, login with the correct google account, then link with ISY Portal.

Somehow, it looks like GH is confused when trying to initiate a Sync request.

Benoit

I spoke too soon. Two of three GH minis can control the HA but the third unit shows all the devices but always reports  it cannot control the HA devices. I have power cycled it and browsed it's setup to find differences. The only difference I can find is it only displays two accounts, with the "Anonymous User" account missing that the working two GH minis display.

I have completely deleted all accounts, along with the app and cleared my phone's cache, starting from scratch three times without making any difference. ISY Portal still reports connection refused from GH end. I have changed my Google password, resetting all my email apps and a few other account accessing apps. No luck here, so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made several attempts to deal with google support. Most have just asked what an "ISY994i" is. The last one wanted screen shots of the ISY Portal.:(

Here is the latest response I received. Sounds like another totally clueless support response.

The garbage can is getting closer for these  GH minis as they have become  useless for HA. My patience is wearing thin and they are taking spaces where Amazon products could be.

Hi Larry,

Could you please try this link https://gala-demo.appspot.com/. In the Service ID filed, provide your Google Cloud Project ID plus a "_dev" suffix. For example if your project ID is "my_gcp_project", enter "my_gcp_project_dev" and click Unlink my Accounts.
Also have you tried to use another accounts?

Kind Regards,

Mihail
Actions on Google Support Team

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on this google Home permission problem? A few others have the same problem now.

Since users do not have to download items to GH very often,  I wonder if anybody has this working.  Google seemed to go through a lot of security changes about a month ago. I had to change passwords on accounts, ,as well as a few neighbours contacted me for help when their email accounts stopped working and got the messages to update their passwords. One neighbour told me she didn't sleep for almost a week as she thought somebody hacked into her accounts on her iPad after receiving the stupid messages about all the devices connected to their account. Google is becoming a PITA with their latest rounds of messing with people's stuff.

I haven't had any success with google support. The most intelligent response I have received so far was, "This is very strange. I will ask around and get back to you".

• 3 months later...

I know it’s been a few months since these posts. I found it because I ran into the same problem. It took me a while but finally got it to work. Sorry for the long post but I’ll try to explain.

I have myself and my 2 kids on my Google Home app on my iPhone (they each have a mini in their rooms). I had to log into each persons account on the Google Home app, and unlink the Universal Devices for each account. Then, I logged back into my account on the Google Home app, went to Devices, found the Google Home I was interested in, pressed the “...”, then Settings, and went to Home Control from there. At that point I added the Universal Devices account and everything linked correctly.

The trick was, I kept trying to go to ‘Home Control’ from the home screen main menu (as per UDI’s instructions), but the authentication for Universal Devices, would fail. Somehow it would still add the entries in the other accounts on my device but not authenticated properly. I then had to go back into the other accounts and unlink Universal Devices again and start over.

Hopefully that made sense.

On 3/12/2018 at 3:29 PM, larryllix said:

Help please?

I don't think that my reply will solve your issue but in my case the refresh spokens icon in ISY Portal never works but when I ask Google Home to "synch my devices" GH in fact synchs with ISY, my Nest and my Samsung appliances.

1 hour ago, asbril said:

I don't think that my reply will solve your issue but in my case the refresh spokens icon in ISY Portal never works but when I ask Google Home to "synch my devices" GH in fact synchs with ISY, my Nest and my Samsung appliances.

Thanks asbril!
Strangely enough I just finished adding a program to my Alexa, and GHs. I still get the failure message above but nothing is required for GH to add the new pseudodevice. It just works now after adding it to the ISY portal without any interaction with GH???

Just for interest sake: The program I just created controls an RGBWW strip wrapped around the headboard of my bed.  I called it "Sunset Headboard" for  GH. (I only have a GH mini in the bedroom)  The RGBWW strips come on 100% white and 100% RGB = yellow.  After Wait 5 minute loops, decreasing the white level to 0%,  by 10% each iteration, then the Yellow lights are decreased by 20% every 20 seconds and the colour is increased by one so that the colour fades from yellow to deep red as the level fades to 0%.

This gives a more linear spaced light level dimming = 100%, 90%, 81%, 72%, 64%, 57%, 51%, 45%, 40%, 36%, 32%, 28%, 25%, 22%, 19%, 17%, 15%, 13%, 11%, 9%, 8%, 7%, 6%, 5%, 4%, 3%, 2%, 1%, Off.
I'll try it tonight to see how the circadian rhythm effect works.

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, aaronw said:

I'm having this same issue, however, for the life of me I see no way in the Google Home app to unlink and re-link with the new UI.

The vocal device apps only link with your ISY Portal account, not your ISY, and are not related to the UI used in your ISY  admin console.
Perhaps you are referring to the GH UI?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived