Fanlinc 6button switch install question

Compusmurf

I bought a fanlinc, the 6 button keypad, the replacement buttons.

My question is-should I wire the on/off part red load wire to ceiling fan lights and cap the light control wire on fanlinc, or use the fanlinc light control and cap the red wire and use a scene?

I have both options.

Not sure if physical wired switch and dimmer would be better than using a scene to do the same thing.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, when I wired up my Fanlinc, the old wiring was setup with a switch that controlled power to the fan and the pull switches on the fan controlled the motor and light.  So I didn't have an option to wire the fan light to the keypad switch.  Are you sure your load wire is just supplying power to the fan light and not the whole fan?  If it is just supplying power to the light, I'd probably use the red load wire to control the fan light since direct switch control is going to be a smidge more reliable than Insteon traffic when operated locally than a scene, but in actual practice I doubt it matters.

If the KPL is a dimmer and you have 3 wires going from the switch box to the fan (white, black, red) it really doesn't matter.You essentially have a choice of 2 dimmers (one in the FanLinc, one in the KPL).  They are essentially identical, and appear as identical to the ISY, so it's personal preference.

If you only have 2 wires from the switch box (white and black) then you must use the dimmer in the FanLinc.

Have all 3. So both options are definitely available. I think i will use the fanlinc for fan only and use the switch on/off portion wired directly to the light. If fanlinc dies for whatever reason I will still have my lights. (Most important)

I won't have to drag ladders and such out just to get my lights back.

Based on what you both say, I think that will be my preference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I installed a Fanlinc and six button Keypadlinc on a ceiling fan/light. The fan and light were both being powered by one black wire coming from the switchbox. The fan and light have separate load wires. 

Here's how I wired them:

Keypadlinc:

Black wire - line  Red wire - to the load wire going from the switchbox to the light/fan  White - Neutral

Fanlinc

Black wire - to line wire coming from switch box.  White wire - Neutral   Red wire - Fan load    Blue wire  - Light load

The issue I'm having is, the lights flicker when just the lights are turned on. When the fan and lights are both on, the lights' don't flicker.

If I would connect the light load wire to the line coming from the switch box and not use the fanlinc for the light, would that stop the flickering? Or is there something else I should be considering?

Thank you!!

Not following your wiring completely but it sounds like you connected the fan and lampbulb  to  the load wire (red = switched) of the KPL. The KPL red load wire should be capped off and not used for the fanlinc controller. It is controlled by Insteon signals only.

FanLincs require raw power from the original black wire at the KPL.

11 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Not following your wiring completely but it sounds like you connected the fan and lampbulb  to  the load wire (red = switched) of the KPL. The KPL red load wire should be capped off and not used for the fanlinc controller. It is controlled by Insteon signals only.

FanLincs require raw power from the original black wire at the KPL.

Hi Larry,

I just realized, that's exactly what I did. Sometimes explaining my problem to others, makes the everything more clear in my mind.

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

Ok, it's an older question, but since I'm in the process of upgrading my 20-year old ceiling fans... :-)

My choice was to cap the red wire from the KPL and use the FanLinc to run both the fan and lights. I've had much better luck with the FanLinc reliability than I have with KPLs, I think I've replaced nearly half of my KPLs at one point or another.

I just wish the FanLinc had some competition. It's hard to believe that it's the only combo fan/light controller on the market. I'm amazed that one of the Z-Wave manufactures hasn't come out with something similar yet!

Archived