Elk as an alternative to Abode

kohai

My mother has a need for a basic alarm system -- probably self monitored by me or maybe by alarm relay.  I've looked at Simplisafe and Abode.  I like Abode but they are on the verge of coming out with their next generation and I'm hesitant to by now.  I've installed an Elk alarm at another property and it's a good building block system.

This house would be a wireless only system -- no prewiring on this.  I think the Elk M1 Gold is overkill.  I'm thinking... why not use an M1EZ8, put it in a self contained box (not messing with drywall) and use it a lot like an Abode/simplisafe (kind of portable).

What do you all think?  Or, do you have a recommendation other than Elk that would be easy and quick?

2 hours ago, kohai said:

My mother has a need for a basic alarm system -- probably self monitored by me or maybe by alarm relay.  I've looked at Simplisafe and Abode.  I like Abode but they are on the verge of coming out with their next generation and I'm hesitant to by now.  I've installed an Elk alarm at another property and it's a good building block system.

This house would be a wireless only system -- no prewiring on this.  I think the Elk M1 Gold is overkill.  I'm thinking... why not use an M1EZ8, put it in a self contained box (not messing with drywall) and use it a lot like an Abode/simplisafe (kind of portable).

What do you all think?  Or, do you have a recommendation other than Elk that would be easy and quick?

PM Sent.

Archived