Battery condition of Wireless Thermostat

Techman

I have several Insteon wireless thermostats that I use to monitor temperature and humidity in outside patio areas. When the batteries fail the ISY shows the last reported temperature and humidity and it could be days before I realize that the batteries have failed.

Being that the thermostat doesn't have a battery node, has anyone come up with a clever program to determine if the thermostat's battery has failed?  I'm currently running 4.7.3 firmware.

The humidity gets updated every 5 minutes on battery but ISY programming can only detect changes to the value, not that is updated.

However if an allowance of say 12-24 hours can be allowed a change of humidity should happen at least once per day.
Use SmokeGrub's technique (above) and combine with humidity to reset a time out or time out variable.

IIRC saving a parameter field requires V5+

4 hours ago, Techman said:

I think that with 4.7.3 I really don't have any options.  My first thought, as smokegrub suggested, was to assign either the temperature or humidity to a variable. Guess I'll have to sit it out until I move up to 5.x.x. 

The same thing is accomplished by just creating a change of value heartbeat program and using a Wait for the same time span. Both methods look for a change in value. No temperature or humidity save to variables are needed.

OTOH. I recommend v5.

10 minutes ago, larryllix said:

The same thing is accomplished by just creating a change of value heartbeat program and using a Wait for the same time span. Both methods look for a change in value. No temperature or humidity save to variables are needed.

OTOH. I recommend v5.

Can you give me a program example on comparing values.

1 hour ago, Techman said:

Can you give me a program example on comparing values.

If
    stat.temp < 999
  OR
   stat.humidity < 102%

Then
    $sStat.comm.falied = $cFalse
    Wait 24 hours
    $sStat.comm.failed = $cTrue
    Wait 15 minutes
    notify Techman "Stat lost comms!"

Else
    ----

You don't need to know what the temperature was, only that temp or humidity changed once per day (or less).

Archived