Constant Network Activty

lhmathys

Today my ISY994i is unreachable via the administrator tool.  I went to the router that it's plugged into and at that ethernet port there is constant network activity.

I updated it a couple of days ago to the most recent release.  I've tried rebooting it, moving to a different port on the router, etc.  Nothing has worked.

HELP!

What is the status of the LEDs on the front of the ISY?

It's possible that you may have a program running in the ISY that's in a continuous loop.

When you updated you ISY firmware did you also update your UI by clearing  the JAVA  cache and programs and down loading the new ISY launcher?

Are you using a PC or a MAC?

The LEDs on the front aren't blinking at all, but the LED on the network connection (the back of the unit) is blinking constantly.

I'm confident that having an infinite loop is not possible. None of my programs have been changed, and there's never been an issue before.

Yes, I updated the UI and cleared the Java cache.

I'm on a PC.

When I get home, I'll try to reset everything in my network to see if that takes care of the issue.

Thanks for the response.

31 minutes ago, lhmathys said:

The LEDs on the front aren't blinking at all, but the LED on the network connection (the back of the unit) is blinking constantly.

I'm confident that having an infinite loop is not possible. None of my programs have been changed, and there's never been an issue before.

I'm on a PC.

When I get home, I'll try to reset everything in my network to see if that takes care of the issue.

Thanks for the response.

Did you make any recent changes to your router?

While you are in your router check the IP Address reservation in the DHCP setup page for your ISY to see if the IP address is still locked in place.

9 hours ago, larryllix said:

Did you make any recent changes to your router?

While you are in your router check the IP Address reservation in the DHCP setup page for your ISY to see if the IP address is still locked in place.

No, no changes to my router. My IP address for the ISY is static, and the DHCP IP range is not configured to assign IP addresses that would conflict with the static IP addresses I have in my network.

10 hours ago, lhmathys said:

I'm on a PC.

Thanks for the response.

I rebooted the router and it's a bit better now, as I can actually reach the ISY now.

However, there's still quite a lot of network traffic to/from the ISY. I suppose my next step is to route traffic through a logger to see what the heck is going on.

Note that all of my programs are running fine, so it has nothing to do with my Insteon devices. This issue is restricted to the volume of intranet/internet traffic.

No, no changes to my router. My IP address for the ISY is static, and the DHCP IP range is not configured to assign IP addresses that would conflict with the static IP addresses I have in my network.

I had a router that wouldn't allow that. Other devices could not talk to addresses outside it's assigned space unless I changed the router to allow ad hoc mode.

IIRC my current router allows it.

I rebooted the router and it's a bit better now, as I can actually reach the ISY now.

However, there's still quite a lot of network traffic to/from the ISY. I suppose my next step is to route traffic through a logger to see what the heck is going on.

Note that all of my programs are running fine, so it has nothing to do with my Insteon devices. This issue is restricted to the volume of intranet/internet traffic.

Open your ISY event log and set it to level 3. That will show real time ISY activity and may help you narrow down the problem.

2 minutes ago, Techman said:

Open your ISY event log and set it to level 3. That will show real time ISY activity and may help you narrow down the problem.

Funny - I would do that if I could actually get to my ISY.  After the router reboot, it worked for a few hours and now I'm back to constant network activity.  Programs are still running fine, but there is so much network activity that I can't even reach the administrator interface.

Archived