KPL custom buttons?

ergodic

Not directly related to the ISY, but...

Has anyone come up with a solution for custom labeling the newer KPLs? With the previous generation you could print inserts in a variety of ways, but the new ones come with pre-etched buttons.

With about 25 KPLs I'd have a very hard time justifying $50/device for SHs custom etching service. I'd settle for blank buttons and just use the color change kits to indicate function, but blank KPL buttons don't seem to be available either.

Smarthome does still offer the clear kit here for people who want to utilize paper inserts:

http://www.smarthome.com/2401CLB/6-or-8 ... ear/p.aspx

As for blank buttons, I've read people who have had good luck removing the print from the keys that ship with the KeypadLincs with a little rubbing compound.

Depending on how small a print you need, you could try something like a Brother P-Touch label maker with clear tape - or something similar.

I use clear, self-stick printer paper available at office supply stores and print out a bunch of labels using excel or word. You can stick them on the button or besides. I won't vouch for the long-term durability, but it is not a bad option.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at putting on the older clear button panel, but it is hard to get a nice custom look with that - there's a lot of light bleed around the edges and I could never get the labels to look good.

For the KPLs what I found worked best was to build a template in MS Publisher (large buttons 5.625"x 1.0625", small buttons 0.5625"x 0.5"). I then printed onto full-sheet Avery 18665 matte self-adhesive labels. One advantage of this over the older style labels is that the printable area is larger. One sheet is enough to do at least 20 KPLs (I don't have that many). Print at max. res. of course.

To protect the labels and also provide a gloss finish I overlaid a sheet of self-adhesive laminate. I'd say this is optional - the Epson pigmented inks at least seem surprisingly durable. I then sliced up the whole sandwich with an Exacto knife.

Denatured alcohol and a clean rag will rub the silk-screen labelling off the KPL buttons in about a minute and also give them a clean surface for adhesion. (Nothing stronger - both acetone and MEK will affect the plastic.) Then just peel back and carefully align and stick a label on each button. When you get it right it looks great.

If you want to use a background color I found that pale, pastel-kinds seem to work best. Bold colors don't look very good and in any case the colors don't get picked up by the backlight LEDs. Color is only going to be visible with ambient light.

• 1 year later...

I used a similar matte self-adhesive material as ergodic used, placed them on the white kpl buttons then sprayed them with a clear coat. After they were dry I popped them back onto the kpl's. They look great. It's been about 8 months and they still look like new, even in heavy use areas.

Archived