Elk M1XEP now blinking orange, no connection - How to replace?

telljcl

Haven't changed anything, any settings, any LAN infrastructure, but M1 began sporadically reporting "ethernet trouble" a few weeks ago.

While in the ISY admin console, I'd sometimes see the ELK banner at the top go out, and "can't connect to M1" icon pop up, and then go away usually, but then come back a few minutes or maybe 1/2 hour later.

Anyway, I think the M1XEP is toast now, as I can't get it to connect at all, and after booting up the LAN connection light on both it and the switch it is plugged into goes out, and the orange "power" light on the M1XEP starts a slow blink. I've tried connecting to a different switch port, different switch entirely, and a different LAN cable. Also verified PSU is 12V, under load, while M1XEP is operating.

So anybody have any ideas?

I have another M1XEP replacement coming, and would welcome some help on a step by step replacement process. I installed this one 8 years ago so am a little rusty on enrollment etc and how I need to remove and replace with another unit, and then put it all back together.

I use ELK RP usually, and have a config file saved.

Thanks for any insight to make this go smoothly.

1 hour ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Its a straight forward swap out. Install the new one and run the enroll process again in the ElkRP software. Thats all.

Thank you  -  that's very good to hear.

I don't have to un-enroll the old one first?

Any way to upload the configuration for the current M1XEP into the new one once it's enrolled?

Thanks again!

Thank you  -  that's very good to hear.
I don't have to un-enroll the old one first?
Any way to upload the configuration for the current M1XEP into the new one once it's enrolled?
Thanks again!

Nope all you do is re-enroll and you will be fine. Nothing is saved on the XEP, its all in the ElkRP software.

12 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Nope all you do is re-enroll and you will be fine. Nothing is saved on the XEP, its all in the ElkRP software.

So by re-enroll you mean "enroll" (obviously from a keypad), like you never had an XEP in the system before?

Then access the XEP via ELK RP to restore settings (or do I need to enter all old XEP settings manually)?

Thanks!!

... So for anybody else reading this - didn't even have to enroll the XEP.

I just booted up M1 and new XEP, used the "XEP finder", uploaded the params from the old XEP (in ElkRP) to the new one, and it just worked. Never had to touch a keypad.

... So for anybody else reading this - didn't even have to enroll the XEP.
I just booted up M1 and new XEP, used the "XEP finder", uploaded the params from the old XEP (in ElkRP) to the new one, and it just worked. Never had to touch a keypad.

I would enroll just to be safe. Make sure your addresses are correct. You might not see anything now but down the road. I would make sure the firmware is up to date as well just to be safe.

Archived