Log and Theme Issues in Administrative Console

nadler

My Log is only showing Status (#1) and not Device Communication events (#3).  I've changed it in the event viewer many times but it doesn't change what the log is collecting. 

Similarly I've changed the Theme many times and after several openings of the administrative console, it too, reverts to the familar default look.

I recall someone else mentioning something similar happening with his logs, but I can't find the post or the resolution.

I'm using 5.0.14 Firmware and UI.

Anyone else having similar issues?

The ISY log only records status changes

To view events you would have to open the (real time) event viewer and set it to level 3

Not sure why you're not retaining your theme.  If you're running Norton Security it runs a performance routine that deletes temp files which may affect your theme.

2 hours ago, nadler said:

My Log is only showing Status (#1) and not Device Communication events (#3).  I've changed it in the event viewer many times but it doesn't change what the log is collecting. 

Similarly I've changed the Theme many times and after several openings of the administrative console, it too, reverts to the familar default look.

I recall someone else mentioning something similar happening with his logs, but I can't find the post or the resolution.

I'm using 5.0.14 Firmware and UI.

I find the admin console does not remember settings for each browser. One desktop needs about Font = 16pt and another needs Font=12pt. Any usage of one nullifies the size  preset for the other system.

Thanks @Techman and @larryllix.  I believe the log in prior versions did log level 3, but perhaps I'm wrong.  Unfortunately, I'm getting random offs and ons, on various devices and there is nothing in the error log and nothing in the status log as to what happens prior to the random offs and ons.  So it's hard to troubleshoot.

1 hour ago, nadler said:

Thanks @Techman and @larryllix.  I believe the log in prior versions did log level 3, but perhaps I'm wrong.  Unfortunately, I'm getting random offs and ons, on various devices and there is nothing in the error log and nothing in the status log as to what happens prior to the random offs and ons.  So it's hard to troubleshoot.

The ISY Log only records changes in status sent from devices. Scene commands do not respond and therefore have no record in the Log.

I once found an OnOff plug-in, totally involved in any scene, sending out "scene on" messages in response to Off commands from ISY. The error Log showed some bad messages from it at the approximate times when it happened. Simply unplugging the OnOff module stopped  it. Been good over a year  now.

23 hours ago, nadler said:

'm using 5.0.14 Firmware and UI.

I have similar issues with Themes.  I have a 4k monitor and need the font size set at 18 to make it readable.  I can't pinpoint exactly what makes it revert to default, but it mostly happens when the computer is rebooted as opposed to the Admin Console merely being closed and reopened.

Edit: I'm also running 5.0.14.

Regarding the scaling issues, this worked for me on Windows 10 + Java 8:

1. Find the Java web start executable:

Right click on ISY Launcher shortcut
More > Open file location
In the explorer window right click on ISY Launcher
Open file location

javaws.exe in your JRE should be selected

2. Change DPI scaling behavior from Application to System:

Right click on javaws.exe
Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings
Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:"
Select "System"

As far as I know, Java 9 should scale correctly without scaling performed by system.

1 hour ago, jfailenschmid said:

. . .

Thanks.  That has removed my need to use the Themes option to change the Admin Console font size so whatever causes the Admin Console to reset back to default settings shouldn't impact me any more.

• 1 month later...

j... Thanks for the tip--it worked for me. I tuned up the instructions a bit for my particular PC, and put it in as a comment in a program called "Comments"...:

To address font size issue...
(1) Right click on ISY Launcher shortcut
(2) Select Open file location
(3) Right click on javaws.exe
(4) Properties > Compatibility > Change high DPI settings
(5) Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:"
(6) Select "System (Enhanced)"

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input.  I made the java change to system and that did indeed change the font size and I can definitely read the contents, however, they are now so large that when doing something like updating a program, I only get a couple lines of code and have to continuously scroll up and down to view the program.  Isn't there some way that UDI could allow the user to specify the size of the displayed text so they could match it to the computer/monitor that they use?  For the time being, this is a much better solution than using the Windows Magnifier.

AHHHHH, I forgot that I had set the Font size to the maximum in order to aid my failing eyesight.  When I change the size back to the minimum and make the Java change, the admin console is just about a perfect size.  Thanks for all the good, quick help.

Archived