Jump to content

MorningLinc / Lock has apparently died - what's a good replacement?


telljcl

Recommended Posts

My Morninglinc / mii lock unit is pretty iffy, but still works.

My Morninglinc Insteon module, however, refuses to connect with my new PLM. Tried the wiki routine of pressing buttons on unit etc.., but ISY won't add it - always sees it, then after apparently adding it, says "there was a problem..." and the device isn't added.

Seems like many locks are Z-Wave, which I have in my ISY, but don't really have any zwave devices. I have a few I bought to test it a year or two ago, and it does work, my ISY is pretty far from where this lock would be - seriously doubt I could rely on zwave w/out putting some other device or devices between ISY and lock area?

Or maybe there is a better alternative?

I need a lock with a knob / handle in this location so the deadbolt only units are out.

Thanks for any guidance.

Link to comment

As far as I know, the morninglinc is the only insteon lock version available.  The practical options remaining are, in my mind, zwave.  Perhaps you could use a wifi lock such as a homekit or google lock, but most of those are deadbolts, I think, and would require some special network instructions or nodelincs or polyglot or one of those other systems I know little about.

I don't know how far away is your lock from the ISY, but my guess is that the odds are pretty good you can make that work, with one of the z-wave range extenders.  Whether or not there is one with knob/handle I don't know.

Link to comment
38 minutes ago, oberkc said:

As far as I know, the morninglinc is the only insteon lock version available.  The practical options remaining are, in my mind, zwave.  Perhaps you could use a wifi lock such as a homekit or google lock, but most of those are deadbolts, I think, and would require some special network instructions or nodelincs or polyglot or one of those other systems I know little about.

I don't know how far away is your lock from the ISY, but my guess is that the odds are pretty good you can make that work, with one of the z-wave range extenders.  Whether or not there is one with knob/handle I don't know.

Looks like there are a few z-wave units that will work as far as the mechanical part goes.

So being unfamiliar with z-wave, you can plug in a few range extenders, adopt them into the ISY and that should bridge the distance issue (since I don't have any z-wave devices ATM)?

Thanks for the info.

Link to comment

That has been my experience.  I understand that z-wave is a mesh system also, thought I also understand it tends to established fixed routes as devices are added.  In my case, the additional z-wave devices resulted in a better z-wave network.  Another thing is that, apparently, some z-wave devices can use secure communication and some cannot.  Also unlike insteon, z-wave repeaters need to be added to the ISY994.

It seems many have recommended the Aeotec alarm as a good repeater.  I have one, along with the Aeotec repeater, and am happy to recommend them also.  Get a couple, install them first, the install the door lock.  Sometimes it can be necessary to program the lock while near the ISY, then install it, but I suspect you will be able to make it work.

One thing I suspect you will like about the z-wave locks is that, unlike the morninglinc, they report status.  Now, when you unlock the door from the keypad or knob, the ISY will know it.  Added bonus: you may find some z-wave devices you like that don't have counterparts in the insteon world.  Now you will be ready to incorporate them into your house.

 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, oberkc said:

That has been my experience.  I understand that z-wave is a mesh system also, thought I also understand it tends to established fixed routes as devices are added.  In my case, the additional z-wave devices resulted in a better z-wave network.  Another thing is that, apparently, some z-wave devices can use secure communication and some cannot.  Also unlike insteon, z-wave repeaters need to be added to the ISY994.

It seems many have recommended the Aeotec alarm as a good repeater.  I have one, along with the Aeotec repeater, and am happy to recommend them also.  Get a couple, install them first, the install the door lock.  Sometimes it can be necessary to program the lock while near the ISY, then install it, but I suspect you will be able to make it work.

One thing I suspect you will like about the z-wave locks is that, unlike the morninglinc, they report status.  Now, when you unlock the door from the keypad or knob, the ISY will know it.  Added bonus: you may find some z-wave devices you like that don't have counterparts in the insteon world.  Now you will be ready to incorporate them into your house.

 

Oberkc is right about the mesh network of ZWave. However I recommend, rather than to use repeaters, that you use plug-in ZWave Plus devices (example) . These are repeaters AND have a practical use to for instance a floor lamp. The repeaters only are hardly cheaper and serve no additional purpose.

The more Zwave devices, the better your mesh network, and you may actually like Zwave.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, asbril said:

rather than to us repeaters, that you use plug-in ZWave Plus devices

I think this is good advice.  The only downside to this is that, IIRC, many around here claim that the alarm is a GREAT repeater...a better repeater than other z-wave devices. Even better would be if you have a need or interest in an alarm.  Given that I purchased the aeotec alarm, I went ahead and created a simple program to trigger it under certain conditions.  It gives my wife some level of comfort when I am gone. 

Link to comment

I'm using a Schlage Sense lock that coordinates with the the handle on the front door.  My considerations were that it had to have a key backup, that could be keyed to match other doors, and I had to have internet access. I settled on this lock, which is bluetooth and bought the wifi adapter. works great. connects to google home and there is a polyglot nodeserver (I haven't set up).

I am very happy with it.

 

Paul

Link to comment

Great feedback all - thanks for the info.

The Schlage looks like they have an older version around that doesn't have an alarm function (which I wouldn't need / want), but I wonder - these appear to be being phased out. 

The sense referenced above is probably overkill but I'll check those out as well.

 

Link to comment
47 minutes ago, telljcl said:

Great feedback all - thanks for the info.

The Schlage looks like they have an older version around that doesn't have an alarm function (which I wouldn't need / want), but I wonder - these appear to be being phased out. 

The sense referenced above is probably overkill but I'll check those out as well.

 

They have new Z-Wave Plus versions (the model number ends in ZP) that are replacing the older ones.  Otherwise identical - both with and without alarm will be available soon-ish.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...