Thermostat Fan Control

Norm

Would it be possible to add commands for a thermostat's fan? Such as Alexa, set thermostat fan to on (or auto, circulation).

I have a Honeywell Z-wave thermostat and I can set the "fan mode" to auto, on, circulation, no override, and override to off via the dashboard or admin console. I would like to use Alexa to set these through verbal commands, if the Alexa smart home skills allows it.

Regards

Norm

Hi and welcome to the UDI forums!

I don't think alexa thermostat skill can control an hvac fan directly. However, you can create a program for this and use that with the spoken in the portal

if <nothing>

Then

set fan on   (you'll need the correct device node for your zwave thermostat, this is a sample)

Else

set fan off

This assumes you have the ISY portal and associated your alexa devic to it

Edit.. If you zwave thermostat shows up in teh portal as a device, you can skip the program and associate on and off from the portal.

Paul

Here's an example of where in the portal to add it. I'm assuming your hvac fan would be in there as a device. If not, you can use the program method I mentioned above. Create the program, add it under program in the picture

image.thumb.png.36290cbfa8a19f4086705b1c08015e4f.png

Paul

Thank you Paul,

Not sure if this was the best way, but it works perfectly. I first created a program called HVAC Fan using the admin console, with "If" remaining blank (as you suggested) the "then" to set the HVAC fan mode to circulation (an intermittent on/off mode), and the "else" to set fan back to auto. I then added the program in the portal and used "fan" as the spoken word and the Alexa category device as a switch. I then went into the Alexa app to discover the new program, now I can say Alexa turn fan on, and the HVAC fan goes into circulation. Exactly what I desired. Telling Alexa to turn it off puts it back to auto.

When I start adding my controls for the ceiling fans in the house, I'll probably amend the Alexa spoken word to house fan.

I tried to see if I can do it from just the portal, but my thermostat shows up as a thermostat under Alexa category, which then limits it to specific voice commands, as what's found in the wiki. But like I said, I've accomplished what I wanted, so thanks again.

Norm

Archived