IOLink 2450 dead, can it be repaired?

Mark H

Have an IOLink 2450 that died on me. Revision is "v2.3" with "1342" printed below that on the label.

Symptoms are:

When you plug it in, the LED on the side may or may not light dimly. But it does not respond to commands or queries at all.

If I try a factory reset by pressing the side button as I plug it in, one of two things happens. Either the piezo-buzzer sounds continuously until I release the button (regardless how long I press the button), or nothing happens. In either case the LED does not light.

In searching this forum I've seen mention that it uses the same 3 capacitors that the PLM uses, and that they can be replaced the same way as you would for a PLM. Is that correct?

And do the symptoms above suggest that the problem is with the capacitors, or that it's a bigger issue than that?

If replacing the capacitors is likely to fix the unit, I saw a couple forum members named that have the parts for sale. Do they still, and can someone link me to them? Or are these caps common items I can find at a "Radio Shack" type store?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

The symptoms look like the power supply is failing. LED on for a short time is one of the symptoms.

The 2450 I/OLinc does not use all the same value capacitors.  There is a link here to what differences found in different revision 2450 I/OLincs. Mainly the C7 value. If you had a older revision I would recommend a 220uf/50 volt to replace the smaller values in older revisions. Low ESR or rated for switching supply use capacitors would be best. I believe the other three are the same as in the 2413S PLMs.

https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/21417-io-linc-hardware-differences-between-revisions/

Thank you for the assistance, but I'm not certain how (if?) the caps relate directly to the power supply you suspect is failing?

Would replacing the caps with ones found in that other topic under the section titled "Hardware V2.3 1430", likely fix the problem? (And note my label says "1342" under the revision, not "1430", if that matters?)

Or would I be better off replacing the entire unit?

I'm loathe to spend $45 for something I can fix with $5 or so worth of capacitors. I am very handy with a soldering iron so if I can fix it, great.

The LED briefly flashing with power up is a typical capacitor failing symptom with switching power supplies. Replacing them with a good quality capacitor rated for switching power supply  will usually fix the issue.

Since you have a V2.3 C7 is the 220uF/50 V capacitor directly on the switching supplies output and is mounted horizontal over the PCB on long leads. If you can safely power it up with the front cover off.  The voltage on the two C7 leads should be around 21.5 volts. I suspect it is very low and the five volt logic regulator is out of regulation. You may also see some of them bulging, rubber seal on the bottom swollen, top split to relieve the internal pressure from a failing capacitor.

I looked at the capacitors we used in the 2413S PLMs. They looked like they should fit but size of replacements is kind of tight. The boards layout is different than the PLMs.Three of the values are the same as what we used in the PLM. C7 is the different one 220uF/50V in the rev 2.3. I had picked up a few 220uF/50V Low Impedance caps for future use. They are physically bigger and I don't know if mine will fit if I have to fix one.

Tip. If you open the top cover. Go gentile. The beeper is glued to the top cover and I busted off the wires from the board on the beeper end under the glue holding it. The component glue holding C7 maybe  a problem. Depending on how generous the factory was. The glue holding the LED from sliding in can also sometimes need gentle persuasion the pop off.

Buying a new one would be easier but fixing it would be a nice reward.

6 hours ago, Mark H said:

Thank you for the assistance, but I'm not certain how (if?) the caps relate directly to the power supply you suspect is failing?

Would replacing the caps with ones found in that other topic under the section titled "Hardware V2.3 1430", likely fix the problem? (And note my label says "1342" under the revision, not "1430", if that matters?)

Or would I be better off replacing the entire unit?

I'm loathe to spend $45 for something I can fix with $5 or so worth of capacitors. I am very handy with a soldering iron so if I can fix it, great.

Your device was manufactured in the 42nd week of 2013. I would replace the device rather than try to repair it as the firmware has been updated in the current shipping devices.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I ordered the capacitors from digikey,com and spent about $11.00 (including shipping) for two sets of the 4 caps. Figured I'd get two sets in case I broke one as I installed it.

(BTW, digikey is a great company and their distribution center is in northwest MN, only a few hours away. They will sell you one cap if you want, though shipping is about $5 minimum.)

Unfortunately, replacing the caps didn't fix the issue, it has the same symptoms as above, relay doesn't toggle on side-button press, LED not lit, etc. Looks like I'll have to replace the whole unit, sadly,

If anyone wants this second set of 4 caps for $7.00 delivered, via USPS, let me know.

They are 1 each:

C3  6.8uf/250V
C7  220uf/50V
C8  10uf/16V
C11 100uf/25V

Archived