Smart Vent/Dampers for zoning HVAC

TomL

Are there any Smart vent/Dampers or boosters that are compatible with ISY using z-wave or any that are hard wired 24 or 110v that can be controlled with insteon or zwave modules, that anyone is aware of.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, TomL said:

Are there any Smart vent/Dampers or boosters that are compatible with ISY using z-wave or any that are hard wired 24 or 110v that can be controlled with insteon or zwave modules, that anyone is aware of.

I also use 24v dampers from Smarthome, but any commercial HVAC parts house has them probably cheaper. I have a couple in my attic, so to save complexity and money, I use a dual Insteon in wall 110 VAC receptacle wired to the back of the furnace power on/off switch. I plug the 24v power supplies into them that way I get to run two dampers per insteon device. https://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2663-223-on-off-outlet-ivory.html  Since 24vdc wall warts are cheap, it works out well for me.

If you get the Insteon dual outlet on a 50% off sale, that gives you basically two insteon controlled outlets for about $14 a piece. I have used this setup in a hot Texas attic for over 2 years without a single issue. Just be sure to get the damper for the best setting (normally open or normally closed) so the transformer is off most of the time. I.E. my xfmr only comes on when the AC kicks in and it meets the ISY program conditions, so I have way less than a 5% duty cycle. 

Using a dual Insteon outlet is a great idea with the wall warts.  Have you used any of the inline 24 v fans from Suncourt?  Curious as to there noise level and if they make any type of difference.

3 hours ago, TomL said:

Using a dual Insteon outlet is a great idea with the wall warts.  Have you used any of the inline 24 v fans from Suncourt?  Curious as to there noise level and if they make any type of difference.

Nope, I buy new or used electronic cabinet fans like Rotron or Comair off ebay, craigslist, etc. They are 110Vac and they are relatively quiet (if in your attic) and very powerful. No one notices the tiny bit of noise way down the vent line. I will typically mount them on the rectangular plenum coming off the air handler and buy a hat section that bolts right to the fan for the vent size I want to attach. Then I cover it in insulation and plug it into the insteon dual outlet. My ISY triggers it when the AC or Heat comes on depending on my program. I use a delay start on it and a delayed off to scavenge the excess heat or AC from the duct work. I do not use the grill shown in the picture. These fans are made to last thousands of hours in hot environments without issue. You can adjust the downstream damper or register to not fully open if you want to limit the flow. I see them on ebay for as little as $25 to $30. 

IMG_20190502_104534232.thumb.jpg.a928a5d670748abd440c064e359a2fb6.jpgIMG_20190502_104540148.thumb.jpg.0f82173adb45d84a5dbba2dbbbb14f7c.jpg

Another banner idea, never thought of using cabinet fans, thanks for the input.  I think I may even have a few of those lying around somewhere.

Archived