Virtual Security Device

nathagt

I'm not sure if this is possible but I was curious if we could get a virtual security system device in the ISY Portal similar to the virtual AV device. I'd like to take advantage of this new device type in Alexa but using the DSC > ISY integration that I already have. It would also be nice to ask Alexa if my system is armed or not. 

Here is a link to the Security Panel Controller API that I'm referring to:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/7064802d-1f63-4be1-aa78-8a65bc1016b4/alexa-arm-my-security-system-customers-can-now-control-their-security-systems-with-alexa-using-the-security-panel-controller-api

Yeah I'm sure some people wouldn't want to but Alexa allows it so I say let the users decide. The security API allows for PIN authenticated disarming just like door locks. But I would set mine up so that that disarming would only work if the system was in armed - stay and no alarm condition was present. I'd do this with a program that is run by the disarm command but has these as IF conditions. I'm far more interested in being able to arm the system by voice and check the status. 

Exposing your alarm system to the Internet in any way is equivalent to mounting an alarm keypad at the outside of your house - in a dark corner that is accessible from the street and which you cannot surveil. Would you be comfortable with that?

IMHO, the risks outweigh any convenience gains.

People have different levels of risk tolerance. The ISY  and Alexa app both allow for security panel integration. This is a thread about improving the integration, not whether it should exist. It does exist and if people are uncomfortable with what someone could do if their account is compromised then they should probably forego the integration in the first place. I'd just like to take advantage of the Amazon Security Panel API as it does provide more robust security, as is the case for door locks. 

On 5/7/2019 at 1:27 PM, jfailenschmid said:

Exposing your alarm system to the Internet in any way is equivalent to mounting an alarm keypad at the outside of your house - in a dark corner that is accessible from the street and which you cannot surveil. Would you be comfortable with that?  

IMHO, the risks outweigh any convenience gains.

Only because the low-budget cloud-tethered services have no incentive to implement reasonable security.    I design security for corporate networks where the risks are far greater; the systems corporations routinely "expose ... to the internet in (a) way" would keep you up at night.     In some cases we work around risks by using things like a "data diode", where data is allowed in only one direction, or other compensating controls.

For a more realistic home alarm example of secure exposure -- it's technically possible (trivially easy) to make a one-way connection so the panel display message (Armed/Disarmed/Zone/etc) are made visible to a secured client (e.g. PushBullet's end-to-end encrypted SMS), but there's literally no wire connected to allow traffic the other direction.       Or with a little more engineering, to enable the equivalent of hitting the "ARM" convenience button (no PIN used) and nothing else.

For most users, I'd expect that those two specific use cases (secure status, remote arming but not disarming) actually do provide convenience gains with acceptable risk.

On 5/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, nathagt said:

I'm not sure if this is possible but I was curious if we could get a virtual security system device in the ISY Portal similar to the virtual AV device. I'd like to take advantage of this new device type in Alexa but using the DSC > ISY integration that I already have. It would also be nice to ask Alexa if my system is armed or not. 

Here is a link to the Security Panel Controller API that I'm referring to:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/7064802d-1f63-4be1-aa78-8a65bc1016b4/alexa-arm-my-security-system-customers-can-now-control-their-security-systems-with-alexa-using-the-security-panel-controller-api

Doesn't this do what you are asking? https://www.amazon.com/Envisalink-EVL-4EZR-Security-Interface-Honeywell/dp/B016WQTJ4S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KRXPUAL5O83S&keywords=evl4&qid=1557497275&s=gateway&sprefix=EVL4%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-3

I bought one for my DSC system but haven't integrated it yet. Another day, another project. 

Archived